Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here in Reno, NV?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone here in Reno, NV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here in Reno, NV?

For those who are, does anyone know about the possible 4th Century Theaters on the corner of Longley and S. Virginia? There has been a sign that reads "Century Theaters Coming Soon" there for a few years now, yet the only thing on the lot remains to be dirt and weeds.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't be excited about another one of the worst chain of theaters in the country coming to town, but I did see a Century Theaters poster back in 2000 that gave their new corporate promise. It said that from the new millenium on, every theater they build will contain all digital and all THX theaters. This makes me think that there could finally be a slight glimmer of hope for Reno to finally get a THX system. I won't get my hopes up though.

Anyone heard anything?
Old 08-11-04, 10:16 AM
Banned

Bump
Old 08-11-04, 10:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well you could keep on checking over at Century Theatres website to see if any updates have been posted

http://www.centurytheaters.com/news/index.html
Old 08-11-04, 12:25 PM
Banned

I've been doing that for years now. Also they have a handy contact e-mail for their real estate development group whom I've sent a few questions to and have never seen a response. It just further proved that Century Theaters is the biggest joke of a company out there. If I had another choice in this town, I'd be boycotting those dumps.
Old 08-11-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 335 Likes on 254 Posts
Their new theaters aren't that impressive- biggest mistake they've made is all the screens have top-down masking, so scope movies are smaller than flat! I loved their old dome theaters but they have two here that were split in half 25 years ago and look awful now.
I applied for a management job at their new theater since I have 10 years of projection experience, but all they could offer me was a minimum-wage floor staff job! They said they don't hire people for management, you have to start at the bottom and get promoted- the explains why their booth staff seems sub-standard!
Old 08-11-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Alan Smithee
I applied for a management job at their new theater since I have 10 years of projection experience, but all they could offer me was a minimum-wage floor staff job! They said they don't hire people for management, you have to start at the bottom and get promoted- the explains why their booth staff seems sub-standard!
Welcome. The good news is that if you show promise, you can easily be 'promoted' to a manager (or, in your case, projectionist) in a matter of a few months.

If you're looking for a job in projection, and have that much expierence, why not become an on-call emergency tech?
Old 08-12-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alan Smithee
They said they don't hire people for management, you have to start at the bottom and get promoted- the explains why their booth staff seems sub-standard!
Holy shit. So that's why the management at the Century Theaters in Vegas are usually a bunch of ******* teenagers. AHA!
Old 08-12-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 335 Likes on 254 Posts
I'd gladly do floor staff for them for a few weeks before being promoted, but I just can't afford to do that right now- I already have a full-time well-paying job but would like to get back in the theater business again, just can't afford to do it for nothing anymore.