Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What was Mark Hammil expecting to get?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What was Mark Hammil expecting to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Debaser
It also doesn't help that he got into a serious car accident and had to have major surgery and he never looked the same. That's a big part of it as well.
?!?!?

When did this happen? I don't remember hearing anything about this over the years. He still looks exactly the same to me, just older.
Old 08-10-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000434/bio

Check out at almost the end.
Old 08-10-04, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
Yeah but I would assume that after Star Wars, the name Mark Hamill would bring in cash to most other movies. Regardless of his poor acting he would bring studios money because people would know (and like) Hamill from Star Wars. But then again I wasn't around back in the OT days so I wouldn't know how people felt about Hamill after Star Wars was made.
Yeah but if you don't have what it takes to carry a film that usually works for about one movie. Unfortunatly Mark chose to waste that one shot on Corvette Summer.
Old 08-10-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by The_Infidel
?!?!?

When did this happen? I don't remember hearing anything about this over the years. He still looks exactly the same to me, just older.
Yeah I remember reading about that. Right before Empire. That's why they had to make the wampa attack more brutal than it originally was to compensate for his appearance change.
Old 08-10-04, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by resinrats
While people might think Harrison Ford got the best deal, its not. Warrwick Davis (Wicket the Ewok) has done the most work with Lucas after Jedi. He had the 2 Ewok movies, Willow, & the Star Wars Prequels that I know of.
Er, I wouldn't exactly boast that I was in any of those films.
Old 08-10-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by resinrats
Also his guest spot on the Simpsons had tons of Skywalker references in it. If he truely hated Luke, he wouldn't have done it.
Not necessarily. Skywalker is about the only thing Hamil is remembered for, therefore, his cash cow. He got work on the Simpsons because of Skywalker, they sure as heck wouldn't be making references about his character in The Guyver or Wing Commander. He can use the character to make his living, it doesn't mean he has to love it.
Old 08-10-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Skywalker is about the only thing Hamil is remembered for
You don't know Mark Hamill's work very well, do you!
Old 08-10-04, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Terrell
Neither do most people and I think that was his point.
Old 08-11-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Terrell

Oh, sorry, he left out The Joker on a cartoon series. Big freakin' deal. Im sure Yahoo Serious is jealous of Mark Hamill's career.
Old 08-11-04, 03:06 AM

Warwick Davis was also in Harry Potter. What pisses me off the most is that all these "costume" actors like Davis and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) charge $20 a pop for autographs at cons! Freaking insane. A few years back at San Diego I got autographs from the cast of The Crow: Salvation, including Kirsten Dunst for free. But 3 booths away Warwick Davis was charging $20! WTF?!?

Oh, and Terrel might be referring to Hamill's comic book work as well. Black Pearl if I remember correctly... maybe some others.
Old 08-11-04, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by C-Mart

Oh, and Terrel might be referring to Hamill's comic book work as well. Black Pearl if I remember correctly... maybe some others.
Ok, I didn't say that he was unemployed, I said that Skywalker is what he's most remembered for. No one thinks, The Guyver or Wing Commander or the Joker when they think Hamil. Good he's worked in other genres but the greater populace is not aware of it.
Old 08-11-04, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
So Harrison Ford makes 20 million a picture and Warrwick Davis got to be in "The Battle for Endor"? Who got the better deal?
But can Ford get top billing like this?

Old 08-11-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grimm1
Yeah but if you don't have what it takes to carry a film that usually works for about one movie. Unfortunatly Mark chose to waste that one shot on Corvette Summer.
I souldn't really tell the difference either untill someone pointed at least one feature that changed between films - Luke's schnoz from ANH:

Old 08-11-04, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Rizor
I souldn't really tell the difference either untill someone pointed at least one feature that changed between films - Luke's schnoz
He was in a motorcycle accident, correct?
Old 08-11-04, 01:50 PM

One of the reasons that Hamill's career was hurt had nothing to do with Lucas or his acting abilities. He was badly hurt in an accident which impared his ability to act. One reason he was so stiff in the last movie was due to this accident.
Austin