Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Singer Offers Tom Welling SUPERMAN role!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Singer Offers Tom Welling SUPERMAN role!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Welling turns this down, he could be making the biggest mistake of his career. It's a starring role in a major motion picture. He may never get that opportunity again.
Old 08-20-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Actually this could work if they ended Smallville after the upcoming season when/if they all graduate from high school.
Old 08-20-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Another Update:

From DarkHorizons.Com

Ok now things are getting confusing. Tom Welling was rumoured long ago as a candidate for the film version of "Superman" right here, reports dismissed by the various "Superman" fansites. Weeks later the same sites turned around and reported the same thing. When those rumours hit, Welling's agent denied the reports and admittedly at the time there was nothing concrete linking him to the part. Strengthening the denial came confirmed reports from all over about auditions of many unknowns going on for the role.

Then this past week Welling hinted he'd signed for a movie but wouldn't say which one. Rumours swirled that he may have at least in part agreed to it but only on the condition that co-star Michael Rosenbaum reprised his role of Lex Luthor on the big screen. That rumour continued when Rosenbaum refused to comment on the subject of the upcoming movie.

Now, Superman V reports that "following his meeting with Bryan Singer, Tom Welling has apparently verbally agreed to be Superman in the new movie but it appears that not all of the studio execs are behind the idea. A compromise has been reached. The recent casting calls are not only a legal obligation of the studio but to appease those who are against the idea and want to see if Singer can find anyone better. Tom Welling will likely be screentest against other hopefuls who will be selected from the casting calls".

Welling AND Rosenbaum?! Looks like the Superman movie is finally in good hands with Singer!

In case you guys aren't "inside" - when an agent for an actor denies to comment about a role...that pretty much means he/she has a lock on the part.
Old 08-20-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said before, even if I think he still looks young for the part, if he and Michael are both going to be in it, that's all around from me.
Old 08-20-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds great to me Even those who aren't big fans of the show seem to acknowldge Rosenbaum as a VERY good Luthor.
Old 08-20-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hasn't Smallville played completely fast & loose with the Superman/Superboy canon? That's fine in a standalone show. But I hate *HATE* the idea of all this stupid revisionism becoming movie canon.

I'm not against Welling or Rosenbaum. But I pray this isn't the beginning stages of a new theatrical movie mythos, based--even in part--on the WB teenage soapfest.
Old 08-20-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Couple of observations and comments on what I've read over (skimmed the post, so don't nag if something was already said)...

I'm really for Welling as Superman in a movie. I know some of you dont' like the idea, but follow me here. First off, they need to wait a year before they start filiming after Smallville is done. Let Welling (and any other S actors) get a break and mature some - this is key in my opinion.

Welling needs a haircut too while we're at it.

Welling being a "whiny bitch", or something to that effect, is both good and bad. Good because it could serve as a good contrast to the Superman persona. However, bad since it's not really the "dork" persona that we all know from the comics, Cain, and Reeve.

Personally I'm not too conerned with what they do with continuity as long as they keep to some basic tenants:
1) He is after/with Lois (who is her normal early 30s, white woman, 5'8", black hair)

2) Green and Red K affect him the same.

3) His dad ends up being good

4) Don't throw in a whole bunch of CGI for some stupid alien like Braniac.

Also, I'm okay with some of the Smallville actors coming over, but it needs to be handled correctly. Let's hope a certain someone someone is dead come next month or early october....
Old 08-20-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adamblast
Hasn't Smallville played completely fast & loose with the Superman/Superboy canon? That's fine in a standalone show. But I hate *HATE* the idea of all this stupid revisionism becoming movie canon.
what was movie canon previously?
Krptonian villians can spring force beams from their finger-tips?
superman has the ability to 'project' himself in 5 different places at once?
or can throw a cellophane S shield from his suit?
or that his powers can be taken away by a crystaline phone booth?

as dopey as the tv series can get at times, at least it never did anything as stupid as whats frequently found in SII.
as frankly, i think Smallville is the only medium so far that has presented a good exploration of these characters at this point in their 'lives'.
this is far better than the suberboy/luthor backstory in the old comics, and Luthor is now a far more compelling, nuanced character than he ever was in the Dean Cain series.

they could be doing a lot worse...

Last edited by ckolchak; 08-20-04 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
[movie guy voice]This week on a very special two hour episode of Smallville, one boy becomes a man destined to save the world... blah blah blah [/movie guy voice]
Old 08-21-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Superman07
Let's hope a certain someone someone is dead come next month or early october....
God, I hope so.
Old 08-24-04, 11:07 PM
Banned

WOAH What is this movie "Smallville" you guys are referring to? I've never heard of it before. Is it an official sequel to the Superman movies? Whe was it released? I'd LOVE to see a movie about Supes' earlier life!
Old 08-25-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Superman07

4) Don't throw in a whole bunch of CGI for some stupid alien like Braniac.

what if they have a huge fucking CGI spider to fight all the guys that keep superman company at his fortress of solitude? That would be cool.

Last edited by ivelostr2; 08-25-04 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 12:35 AM

seriously, I like Smallville, but I wonder how they plan on doing this movie.
Are they going to leave all of the back story behind? I mean, if Lex is the villian, the back story is important.

I can see a dynamic, resembling the one in Spiderman, where Lex's company is responsible for financing what ever Superman is pitted against, but I always knew smallville would have trouble if Clark ever became the superhero, because they all know him without glasses already.
If they set them up as friends, who are unknowingly enemies, it wouldn't work because Superman could fight whatever Lex throws at him from behind the scenes and not know it was Lex responsible, but Lex would recognize clark as Superman. I would even go along with the glasses being th e secret identity (just for the sake of the history of it), but Lex already knows him w/o glasses.

I guess that could be part of the mystique as well, Lex knows it is his friend that he is against, but clark does't know it is his friend.
I hope they do it this way, if for no other reason, because I would like to see how they work it out.

I understand Superman purests being upset at the bastardization of something they love, but it could work...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 08-25-04 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 12:52 AM
Banned

What the FUCK is Smallville???????? Is it a direct to video sequel to the movies or something?
Old 08-25-04, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by isamu
What the FUCK is Smallville???????? Is it a direct to video sequel to the movies or something?
umm, a TV show on the WB about clark and lana and lex and Company as teens. it has been on for 3 seasons and is starting a fourth sometime soon.

PS, since when can we say Fuck on here?
Old 08-25-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Before the legend...before the icon...there was a teenager named Clark Kent (Tom Welling, Cheaper by the Dozen). Clark doesn't wear glasses, there's no suit and he can't fly. Between the boy he thought he was and the man he is destined to become are the stories of Smallville. Someday, he'll master his powers and understand his true calling. Now in its third season on The WB, this new interpretation of the enduring Superman mythology and its classic characters blends realism and adventure into an exciting action series. "

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
Old 08-25-04, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ivelostr2
umm, a TV show on the WB about clark and lana and lex and Company as teens. it has been on for 3 seasons and is starting a fourth sometime soon.

PS, since when can we say Fuck on here?
Can you please be serious and tell me what Smallville is for real this time? Obviously it's not some WB TV series
Old 08-25-04, 01:09 AM

Can you please be serious and tell me what Smallville is for real this time? Obviously it's not some WB TV series
You know, the first time you asked, i thought you were joking. The second time I was taken aback a little, and realized you really didn't know what Smallville was. Now I'm not sure either way...

it has been on before angel this year, and before Buffy (albiet on different channels) the previous two years...
Old 08-25-04, 01:12 AM

Wait are you shocked because they obviously wouldn't be stupid enough to base a 100+ million dollar movie on a WB TV series?
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in charge...
Old 08-25-04, 01:26 AM
Banned

I still think you're lying. There is no TV series called Smallville.

Heh, you almot had me going with that one
Old 08-25-04, 01:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by isamu
[B]I still think you're lying. There is no TV series called Smallville.

I am lying, I lie all the time, I'm a liar.
Old 08-25-04, 01:43 AM
Banned

That's what I thought...

*continues to investigate this 'Smallville' thing*
Old 08-25-04, 02:00 AM

If Tom and Michael, from the ever mysterious "Smallville" project, are cast in this movie, I will be the happiest fangirl in the world. I really hope this works out.
Old 08-25-04, 09:36 AM

This thread has turned into a 1/5
Old 08-25-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Micheal Rosenbaum really does a fantastic job on Smallville, but I always pictured the movie Lex Luthor to be more like the 90's Superman cartoon version(whom I think is the best Lex Luthor ever!). Never liked Gene Hackman's take on the character. The cartoon Lex was cold, calculating, vicious, cocksure...I think Rosenbaum (while maybe not pulling of that same look as the cartoon's lex, Rosey is a bit scrawny) could definately do those things.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. The Smallville series didn't dramatically change anything about the Superman mythos...yet. There are things on the horizon that could really make things wonky, but for the most part they could port a good majority of the cast to the movie's (Clark, Lex, and The Kents: Whom I think were perfectly cast), while still making the movies stand on there own. Coming into this I wanted a fresh take on Superman, but I could see this working as well. I just hope that whatever happens that movie can stand toe to toe with Batman Begins.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.