Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Singer Offers Tom Welling SUPERMAN role!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Singer Offers Tom Welling SUPERMAN role!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-04, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Why is everyone so excited when the report states that he is unlikely to take it? While I love "Smallville" and watch it religiously, do you really think he has the chops for big time? I mean this movie is going to be huge, with gargatuan expectations. Probably bigger so that Spider-Man. That is a lot to deal with and he is only a tv actor with only one or two bit nods in movies. It would be a pretty big stretch. PErsonally, I would like a relative unknown who has movie chops...I would love them to find a Colin Farrell in "Tigerland" type actor and see what can happen. Look what that one did for him.
Old 08-07-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I remember a time when Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks, & George Clooney were only tv actors. God forbid trusting them with feature films.
Old 08-07-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he can always take Jack Nicholsons advice to Michael Keaton while they were filming the first Batman and "just let the suit do the acting"
Old 08-07-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
I remember a time when Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks, & George Clooney were only tv actors. God forbid trusting them with feature films.
Firemarshall Bill, a crossdresser, and the handyman neighbor from Facts of Life... movie starts?

Ha ha ha ha.

What's next, the gay guy (Billy Crystal)from Soap?

Last edited by GuessWho; 08-07-04 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-07-04, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
*snicker*
Old 08-07-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Might just make things worse. How can you go back to the tease of smallville of a potential superman when you have seen how he looks in the full glory of the film? I say let it build.... AND THEN make a movie with him.
Old 08-07-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Might just make things worse. How can you go back to the tease of smallville of a potential superman when you have seen how he looks in the full glory of the film? I say let it build.... AND THEN make a movie with him.
I'm guessing if Welling takes the role, it will be filmed after this season of Smallville and won't be released until the following season is over...there would be two more seasons of Smallville before the movie hit theaters - pretty much meaning Smallville will have ended its TV run before the picture comes out.
Old 08-07-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Main issue there is how to make him look old enough and make it a seperate enough item so that it doesn't become just "smallville: the movie"
Old 08-07-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welling's pretty good casting for the character, but I'm pretty skeptical about associating the film franchise with the TV series. While this isn't TV Talk, it must be noted that the show is very soap opera-ish, and as such Welling's Kent cannot be separated from all the silliness that we see him involved in weekly. It's just hard for me to see how they can separate the two, which I assume would be the goal, since the last thing I want is for the TV series to drive the film. I do think he's good in the role, but this seems like a bad idea.

das
Old 08-08-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this is true. Smallville is the best thing to happen in the superman universe in years. He will be perfect in the role, and even if it turns into smallville the movie, that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 08-08-04, 05:06 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i'm with Jackieboy in this one

Let Smallville play out for however many seasons then do the big movies with Welling

put a hold on this project until then
Old 08-08-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even if they film it during mid season and then he goes back for a final season or more.. he will look dated. so the later seasons of smallville will have him looking older then when he's suppose to.

I enjoy smallville for what it is. But it sure can't hold it's own with 2 hours for a superman movie. no way no how. Especially with the plot twist that are suppose to happen in this season coming up.

I mean come on.. we aren't suppose to see Lois yet.
Old 08-08-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Even if they film it during mid season and then he goes back for a final season or more.. he will look dated. so the later seasons of smallville will have him looking older then when he's suppose to.
Didn't seem to affect the X-Files feature. Welling is in his late 20s, it's not like he's going to have a growth-spurt in the next year or so.
Old 08-08-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they could age Welling just fine. Put him in some "big boy" clothes and give him a haircut and bamm, we have a Superman. It would be even better if they didn't start shooting for 3 years. So I'm for Welling as the movie Superman. I really like the dude on Smallville (and enjoy the show as well), but I do not want to see that show take over the movie franchise.
Old 08-08-04, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like their aiming this one at the teeny boppers. I'll pass.
Old 08-08-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smallville should be kept as Smallville. The movies should be the movies.

Just like how the Batman animated series did not tie into the films, and how Ninja Turtles cartoons did not tie into the films, and so on, the Superman TV series should not tie into the the Superman movies.

Not only would the screenwriters be in corners trying to tie the series and movies together in a way that not only made sense but made sense to people who had never seen the show, but in the future, the movies will be better known that the TV series (most probably). As a result, it would be detrimental to make the movies too closely-tied to a TV show from years ago. Smallville may be a popular show, but wasn't the Dean Cain series popular too, ten years ago? Would it really have been worth it to tie a Superman movie into the series then?

For the forthcoming Superman movie, just jump into it. Start the movie off with Superman fighting bad guys. There's no need to waste time explaining the origin - just refer to it in a way that brings the few less-knowledgeable people up to speed.

And cast Eion Bailey.
Old 08-08-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
For the forthcoming Superman movie, just jump into it. Start the movie off with Superman fighting bad guys. There's no need to waste time explaining the origin - just refer to it in a way that brings the few less-knowledgeable people up to speed.

And cast Eion Bailey.
I concur, particularly in regards to the beginning of the movie. Don't waste our time w/ shit we already know.
Old 08-08-04, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
And cast Eion Bailey.
Old 08-08-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be thrilled with Tom Welling as Superman. I think he's completely wrong for the role in Smallville, for that matter.
Old 08-08-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Didn't seem to affect the X-Files feature.
two different beast. X-files the movie was suppose to be tied into X-files, the tv show.

So this is just going to be Smallville: the movie? The Dean Clark superman example listed above brings a good point. Just cause the show is out there doesn't mean you have to connect it. That Lois and Clark show was pretty popular but no need to make the franchise film based around it.
Old 08-16-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE:
At the Teen Choice Awards, Welling said he just signed to be in a major movie, but he's not allowed to talk about it yet.

Crossing my fingers hoping it's Superman!
Old 08-16-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Welling has the look for it....but his acting is pretty awful, even for a WB teen soap.

Not sure how I like/dislike the news....I suppose I'll wait for confirmation before I start huffing and puffing.
Old 08-16-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Welling has the look for it....but his acting is pretty awful, even for a WB teen soap.
I think he carries the role very well.
Old 08-16-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. I think Smallville has been handled in a most respectful way (to the mythos).
2. I think Welling is great, though in ripping off Buffy, they made wrote Clark a bit whiney.
3. Overall, I think this is terrific news...and a pleasant surprise.
4. I agree that they should wrap up the series before releasing this movie, with only four characters carried over: the Kents, Clark, and Lex.
5. Like the show or not, they have made Lex a sympathetic villian (a good thing) and the guy who plays him is f'ing brilliant.
Old 08-16-04, 09:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't understand why Singer would want to tie into Smallville by casting Welling unless they are actually making "Smallville the Movie" and have the same producers, writers, etc. By casting Welling they bring all the baggage of Smallville into the new Superman movie which doesn't make sense since they have the opportunity to start fresh and create a new franchise. I predict this is nothing more than an unfounded rumor, Superman is going to be an unknown or barely known actor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.