Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Dr. Doom, tell us what you don't like about yourself"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McMahon is Dr. Doom in Fantastic Four!

Variety reports that "Nip/Tuck" star Julian McMahon (pictures) will play Dr. Doom in 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four.

The "Nip/Tuck" star will play the venerable villain in "Fantastic Four," 20th Century Fox's Tim Story-directed film adaptation of the Marvel Comics franchise. Pic goes into production this month in Vancouver for a July 1 release.

Doom, a crazed scientific genius who hides his scarred face behind a metal mask, goes up against the title quartet of Michael Chiklis (Ben Richards/the Thing), Jessica Alba (Sue Richards/the Invisible Woman), Ioan Gruffudd (the eminently stretchable Reed Richards) and Chris Evans (Johnny Storm/the Human Torch). Simon Kinberg wrote the script.

The Hollywood Reporter says McMahon was offered the role on Friday and a deal will likely be made.

After Chiklis, this is the best casting move of this flick!

Last edited by johnglass; 08-03-04 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That should be interesting.

Nice thread title by the way.
Old 08-03-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, you can tell this movie is from Fox. Two of F/X's most prominent series stars in one film...

Excluding how horrid the writing on Charmed is, his character on there proved he could do "pure evil" pretty damn well. About as good of a choice for Doom as I can envision, he should put on a worthwhile performance.

This cast seems quite likely to finally get an excellent non-animated Fantastic Four ensemble established. Here's hoping that the choice of director isn't enough to ruin even the greatest of casts...
Old 08-03-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never seen nip/tuck but will be soon knowing he's going to be Victor Von Doom.

It's going to be hard topping the guy who played the character in Fantastic Four (94?).
Old 08-03-04, 09:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool news, but really...he's behind a mask. They could put a hobo in the role and get the same results, just get a good voiceover guy.
Old 08-03-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do we really want to see deleted scenes on The Fantastic Four DVD of some Hobo guy reaching into a waste bin looking for a snack in between shots?

That would kind of suck.
Old 08-03-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bah! Doom is sick of seeing the Richards wench and her perky 34 B's! They shall now be DD's!

So commands DOOM!!!
Old 08-03-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
jeezus, if this movie gets any more low-rent they'll have the cast of "American Idol" making cameos...
Old 08-03-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Cool news, but really...he's behind a mask. They could put a hobo in the role and get the same results, just get a good voiceover guy.
True, but I guess it depends where the film's story begins. It could begin while Reed and Victor are still in college, before the accident that forces Doom to don the mask (or at least a flashback). This would help set up why Doom hates the FF (especially Reed).
Old 08-03-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
jeezus, if this movie gets any more low-rent they'll have the cast of "American Idol" making cameos...
Yeah, if they got lots of big-name actors instead, they'd have a guaranteed success on their hands, just like Batman & Robin.
Old 08-03-04, 06:58 PM

Seems on the young side.
Old 08-03-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
True, but I guess it depends where the film's story begins. It could begin while Reed and Victor are still in college, before the accident that forces Doom to don the mask (or at least a flashback). This would help set up why Doom hates the FF (especially Reed).
Also in the Fantastic Four('94?) the actor if he also played him in the suit was horrible. He would do all these super exagerrated gestures. He made David Prowse as Darth Vader seem mellow.

A better actor knows that showing more restraint is ultimately better for a project.
Old 08-03-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by yecul
Seems on the young side.
Actually, I thought the exact opposite. Victor Von Doom and Reed Richards were classmates (At Marvel Universe's alma mater, ESU, I believe.) and thus should be similar in age. I thought McMahon was too old to be comparable to Ioan Gruffudd. McMahon is only five years older, so age-wise, it's quite similar to the original comic.
Old 08-03-04, 09:19 PM

Actually, I thought the exact opposite. Victor Von Doom and Reed Richards were classmates (At Marvel Universe's alma mater, ESU, I believe.) and thus should be similar in age. I thought McMahon was too old to be comparable to Ioan Gruffudd. McMahon is only five years older, so age-wise, it's quite similar to the original comic.
Well, of course...

However, from that pic, he looks like someone in his lower 30s. Doom/Richards seemed more appriate to be at least 40. Nothing huge, but that's why I said a little.

If he's a good actor (I don't watch the show and have never seen him) then I'm all for it. THe movie can be good if done right, but there's a very thin margin for error with this flick, IMO. The Thing could easily be cheese, Richard's powers could seem pathetic, ditto Sue, and the Torch could be completely underutilized. Doom, also, could come off as hokey.

These are 60s heroes/villains that might be "converted" to the new millenium... which would likely destroy their effectiveness. Guess we'll see how it works.
Old 08-03-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I wonder if Dr. Doom will try to do to Sue Storm what Mr. McMahon's character on "Nip Tuck" did to Kelly Carlson in the first ep.?

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 08-04-04 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
If you're going by the comics, Reed and Grimm served together in WWII, and Reed and Doom are more or less contempories.

Considering that the comics came out in 1961, it's same to assume that Reed, Grimm, and Doom are all 40 at the very least, probably closer to 45.

Johnny Storm was probably in his later teens or early twenties, with Sue being older, probably late 20s or early 30s.
Old 08-04-04, 09:04 PM

Jean Grey and Victor Von Doom were on Nip & Tuck last night then!
Old 08-04-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
If you're going by the comics, Reed and Grimm served together in WWII, and Reed and Doom are more or less contempories.

Considering that the comics came out in 1961, it's same to assume that Reed, Grimm, and Doom are all 40 at the very least, probably closer to 45.

Johnny Storm was probably in his later teens or early twenties, with Sue being older, probably late 20s or early 30s.

From what I've heard it's going to be more like the Ultimate F4. In that case Reed and Grimm are High school friends....The nerd and the Jock, how cute.