Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Revenge of the Sith it is!!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Revenge of the Sith it is!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't really buy into the "young" Anakin at the end of ROTJ thingy at all. I think Lucas or someone's explanation was that because Anakin "died" when he turned to the dark side, that identity remained in stasis until he became free at death?

I had thought when Jedi maintained their identity at death, they could pretty much appear in whatever way they wanted. Another problem I have of young Anakin appearing is that he still remains as a rebellious punk, long hair and all. Couldn't he have at least matured by this point (after all, he is middle aged by then) and look..."normal"?

In any event, it does not explain where Jedi get their wardrobe from in spirit form, unless it is awaiting for them in the netherworld. Otherwise, shouldn't they be nekkid?
Old 07-24-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And? My hometown looks exactly as it did 20 years ago. Unless the war extends to Naboo, which it doesn't, I'd see no reason for it too look different. The town I live in now basically looks as it did 20 years ago, other than some new buildings and a growing population.

I understand that some people wanted a completely new scene of Naboo, but I think it links the 2 trilogies quite nicely while not making a ridiculous change. I imagine Lucas is spending a ton of money on restoring, tweaking, and making these DVD. Creating an entirely new shot on the scale of the Naboo shot would be very time consuming and expensive, especially considering he's working in Episode III night and day. Who knows. All I'm saying is it would create a bigger continuity problem if it didn't look like the Naboo from TPM. It needs to look the same, or at least very similar. Different viewpoints I guess.
Well, I said I was hoping, not that it should be changed and I'm mad it isn't. I think it would have been cool if Naboo had some changes done to it because of the Empire.
Old 07-24-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, the new clip shows my problem with a lot of dubbing in movies. It's not the fact so much that it's Hayden, but the fact he now plays the part totally differently. Aw well.
Old 07-24-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just think the effect looks bad. It doesn't blend well with the original footage at all.
Old 07-25-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
I reserve judgement till we learn in Ep3 the origin & meaning of the Jedi spirits.

I believe Anakin is going to invent this technique:
--Nobody's done it in Ep 1 or 2
--He said in Ep2 that someday he'll make it so people don't have to die

Therefore, since we don't yet know the technique, who are we to say if the ghost should be old Anakin or young Anakin?

We do not yet know the rule about whether your spirit carries your at-death image or your final-pure (before Dark Side) image. For Ben & Yoda, these two rules would present the same result--not so for Anakin. We'll find out in May 2005, I guess.
Absolutely, but honestly, I don't think the spirit trick will be explained any further in Episode III - heck, I bet we'll be having a hundred page long debate on just this one debate even after all the movies have been released. I think Lucas just wants to leave it open for debate but the ROTJ change does seem like a confusing move but who knows?
Old 07-25-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Godamn, that chaps my ass. I'm just imagining Sebastian Shaw's family's disapointment at seeing this new version. Not to mention the fact that I don't want the last shot of the OT reminding me of the (IMO) vastly inferior prequels.

Last edited by Abranut; 07-25-04 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-25-04, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention the fact that I don't want the last shot of the OT reminding me of the (IMO) vastly inferior prequels.
You can always not buy it! But may I ask a question? If you think the prequels are that bad, and they turn you off so much, then why do you own both prequel DVDs? Please don't tell me it was for demo purposes. There are dozens of reference quality DVDs of movies you'd probably like, that you don't have to buy movies you hate.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-25-04 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-25-04, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be upset if I were Obi. Anakin turns evil and kills countless innocent jedi and for some reason he keeps his good looks in the afterlife.

btw, here are more new shots in the Jedi DVD.

Last edited by Lara Means; 07-25-04 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-25-04, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I just think the effect looks bad. It doesn't blend well with the original footage at all.
Oh come on! It is the acting that makes this bad. The effect is perfect. If you never saw the original version then this would not be jarring at all.

I am in the camp with dissapointed with this change, maily because they didn't have Hayden parrot Shaw.

Oh well not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things...
Old 07-25-04, 06:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts
What does the "Revenge of the Sith"? title refer to? and are they really putting Hayden's image in the spirit of Anakin at the end of "Return of the Jedi" for the DVD release?
Old 07-25-04, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Terrell
You can always not buy it! But may I ask a question? If you think the prequels are that bad, and they turn you off so much, then why do you own both prequel DVDs? Please don't tell me it was for demo purposes. There are dozens of reference quality DVDs of movies you'd probably like, that you don't have to buy movies you hate.
Repeat yourself much?

caiman, if you don't like these films, why do you have the DVDs? Please, not the "for demo purposes" excuse. I'm sure there are many reference quality DVDs of movies that you like, that you don't have to resort to owning DVDs of movies you don't. How about an honest answer?
I'm honestly considering not buying it, but then again I'll probably cave when it's on sale somewhere. In regards to your question about me owning the prequels on dvd, I'll lead you to an explanation I gave in a earlier thread where this came up.

Originally posted by Abranut
I own them, yes. I'm not afraid to admit that. I own a lot of movies. Some I like a lot more than others. I like things about the prequels (the action scenes and not much else), and the chapters on the dvd allow me to watch the parts I enjoy.

I will see Episode 3 opening night, too. I am expecting for GL to take a dump in my mouth and call it a Sundae, but I'll see it anyway because I am a SW fan. Even though the prequels and George's endless changes to the OT have killed that love for me a little bit.
If you want to post in a forum where the prequels and GL recieve little to no criticism, why don't you spend your time in the forums at www.theforce.net? It seems that you and a number of other SW fanatics at this forum have a lot of difficulty in accepting that people have differing opinions than your own. This isn't a Star Wars site, it's a dvd site. Quit crying and deal with it.
Old 07-25-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
What exactly are the Sith getting revenge for?
Old 07-25-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Oh come on! It is the acting that makes this bad. The effect is perfect. If you never saw the original version then this would not be jarring at all.

I am in the camp with dissapointed with this change, maily because they didn't have Hayden parrot Shaw.

Oh well not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things...
Well that too. But the first was my initial reaction.
Old 07-25-04, 09:19 AM

So how is Luke meant to recognise Anakin at the end if Shaw was replaced? Fair enough it ties the good and the crap trilogies together, but what about consistency within the story (not that Lucas cares about that either these days)?
Old 07-25-04, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Abranut
Repeat yourself much?

I'm honestly considering not buying it, but then again I'll probably cave when it's on sale somewhere. In regards to your question about me owning the prequels on dvd, I'll lead you to an explanation I gave in a earlier thread where this came up.

If you want to post in a forum where the prequels and GL recieve little to no criticism, why don't you spend your time in the forums at www.theforce.net? It seems that you and a number of other SW fanatics at this forum have a lot of difficulty in accepting that people have differing opinions than your own. This isn't a Star Wars site, it's a dvd site. Quit crying and deal with it.
If you are calling Terrell out for repeating, then try calling yourself out. We don't need to hear that this sucks and that sucks in Every. Single. Star Wars. Thread. God damn it all give it a frigging rest. We know that many don't like the prequels, but move on already.

Cool title, and I am jazzed that by the end of 2005 the SW TV cannon less the Holiday Special will be available on DVD.
Old 07-25-04, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Fincher Fan
So how is Luke meant to recognise Anakin at the end if Shaw was replaced? Fair enough it ties the good and the crap trilogies together, but what about consistency within the story (not that Lucas cares about that either these days)?
How are Yoda and Obi-Wan to recognize the old man that appears with them? It is called suspension of disbelief. If you cannot muster it, then film is probably not a great hobby for you.
Old 07-25-04, 01:26 PM

It seems that you and a number of other SW fanatics at this forum have a lot of difficulty in accepting that people have differing opinions than your own
No, what we have difficulty accepting is total buttwipes taking a dump in every single SW thread. It was old 3 years ago. ckolchak and I had a very good debate, where we disagreed. I didn't mind his opposite opinion because he was stating it in a respectful manner, unlike you.

Repeat yourself much?
I didn't figure you'd be able to answer that question in any reasonable way. So thanks for the copout instead.

It is totally consistent within the story. Yoda and Obi-Wan have known Anakin for much of his entire life. Anakin is Obi-Wan's padawan throughout the prequels, until he turns. So of course they would recognize him. I'm still not carried away with the change, but it makes sense from that standpoint.
Old 07-25-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well. I consider myself a fairly huge SW fan...although my obsession has cooled down a bit since the prequels. I have to admit I am pretty hyped up about EPIII. The title is perfect. Hopefully this movie will be the best of the Prequel Trilogy...this is the real meat and potatos...Anakin becoming Darth.

As far as the dvd's...blah...I will buy them...I will watch them...but the changes just makes me even more glad I have the Original Trilogy and the Special Editions on Laserdisc. The Pioneer Elite still has life in it.
Old 07-25-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by scott1598
What does the "Revenge of the Sith"? title refer to? and are they really putting Hayden's image in the spirit of Anakin at the end of "Return of the Jedi" for the DVD release?
answers to these are in the thread. Shit, just look up and you'll see Hayden's image on ROTJ.

Revenge of the sith simply is a throw back to Return of the jedi's original name which was suppose to be revenge of the jedi. Jedi's don't get revenge so it was changed. So that would assume sith get revenge. As to why? Well there is the epic struggle they have had with the jedi's for countless centuries. Perhaps some events in the past between the sith and jedi have led to this revenge. Who knows and who cares. It's a good title for crying out loud. Lucas really can never win.
Old 07-25-04, 02:12 PM
Banned

Re: ROTJ screencaps!

Yes, unfortunately Hayde replaces Shaw in the ghost scene at the end of ROTJ.
That's it. I will not be buying this DVD set. That, right there, was the last goddamn straw.
Old 07-25-04, 02:17 PM

Re: Re: ROTJ screencaps!

Originally posted by Rivero
That's it. I will not be buying this DVD set. That, right there, was the last goddamn straw.
SHOCK!
Old 07-25-04, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GuessWho
An

We do not yet know the rule about whether your spirit carries your at-death image or your final-pure (before Dark Side) image.
And apparently neither does Lucas. If he did then he would have cast a young actor as Anakin in the spirit shot back in '83. This is such horseshit.
Old 07-25-04, 02:28 PM

No, what we have difficulty accepting is total buttwipes taking a dump in every single SW thread. It was old 3 years ago. ckolchak and I had a very good debate, where we disagreed. I didn't mind his opposite opinion because he was stating it in a respectful manner, unlike you. How am I being disrespectful for expressing my opinion? Like I said before, you guys seem to think that attacks against the prequels are attacks against you. They're not. It has nothing to do with you or Qui Gon Jim or anybody else. Get over yourselves. If you want to hear nothing but praise for the prequels and GL, go to the www.theforce.net . Otherwise, you can't blame anyone on this board who had a different opinion than you.

I didn't figure you'd be able to answer that question in any reasonable way. So thanks for the copout instead.You can call it a copout all day long, but that's an honest answer. I don't totally hate the prequels. I have never said that I absolutely hate them. I am passionate about them because like you, I love Star Wars. I wanted to love the prequels, but that was an impossibility. There are many things about them that drive me absolutely crazy and have caused me to lose most of my respect for GL as an artist and a filmmaker. The changes to the OT are offenses that I take the most seriously, and seeing that image of Hayden in ROTJ enraged me, frankly. And I have every right to let others on this board know exactly how I feel.
Old 07-25-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: Re: ROTJ screencaps!

Originally posted by Rivero
Five bucks says you do.

I have run across this many times in my life of being a star wars fan. People will complain to high heaven about the littlest things in anything "STUPID .000 ERROR!!!" and they will still buy it the second it's infront of their face.
Old 07-25-04, 02:42 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: ROTJ screencaps!

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Five bucks says you do.
No. I will not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.