Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A PG-13 was an R Yesterday, says study, agree, dissagree

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: has the MPAA gotten more or less leniant with the ratings
a PG-13 was an R yesterday
51.06%
they've been about the same
19.15%
they've been more restrictive
25.53%
other
4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

A PG-13 was an R Yesterday, says study, agree, dissagree

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this thread, and seeing how iffy it is whether or not the study is true, I'm thinking, "This is the best Harvard can do?"
Old 07-15-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There used to be nudity on US Television back in the '70s. Before the FCC was estabilished I would say that was TV's most daring time. I've seen clips of, uh boobies during game shows on old TV shows, on other forums.
Old 07-16-04, 11:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The study, released on Tuesday, described a "ratings creep" in which current films that are rated PG or PG-13 are being released with more sexual or violent content than films with the same ratings ten years ago.
This is the part I don't buy at all. PG is basically a kiddie rating nowadays, albeit kiddie movies with a slight bent (Shrek, Grinch). Also family-friendly movies with very mild grown up content apply (Miracle, Remember the Titans).

Overall, I think it fluctuates based on certain types of things. It's a bit too simplistic to say "ratings are more lax now" or "ratings are stricter now".

If I were to compare today with the movies from the 80s when I grew up:

Gore: Less strict today
In the late 80s especially, they cut gore down to practically nothing. Horror stuff especially in the past few years has been a lot gorier in R-rated editions (Final Destination2 comes to mind, there's no way that would've got an R in 1988.)

Nudity: More strict today
Like others have said, boobs in PG, full frontal in PG-13 (and for both sexes, I know there is one PG-13 80's comedy that had a shower room scene that showed guy's members, can't remember which one though)

Sexual comments/references: Less strict today
Seems you can get away with TALKING about it, or making non-nude references in PG-13 a lot more. Under the pants erections (like the Anchorman one listed above, or Nutty Professor 2 for instance) as an example.

Drug use: More strict today
I believe at some point they changed this so on-camera drug use gets you an R, but I'm not 100% on this.
Old 07-16-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for sexual comments, they still can't really make explicit references to sex. didn't "bring it on" have to edit a reference to "giving head" to get a pg-13?
Old 07-17-04, 11:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DRG

Drug use: More strict today
I believe at some point they changed this so on-camera drug use gets you an R, but I'm not 100% on this.
um, I don't know about this one... the 'Green Tag' Trailer for Twist features a brief scene of one of the character's shooting up some drugs into his arm.