Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like no Halle for Xmen3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Looks like no Halle for Xmen3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Flave
Anyone else think that Gina Torres (from Firefly) would make an outstanding new Storm?
No - for some reason I can't stand her. Only part of that show that I didn't like. I think she would be terrible in the role of Storm, too.
Old 07-09-04, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Who wrote that crappy line?
Joss Whedon. He blames the line's poor reception on bad direction/delivery.

EDIT: Ah! Found the interview!

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 07-09-04 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I read that too. Sorry Joss, I love ya, but--it wasn't (just) the delivery that sucked.
Old 07-09-04, 03:16 PM
Suspended

Good. Less Storm, more Jean Gray.
Old 07-09-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Brad Pitt for one. He took a small role for Snatch. I'm sure there are others.

"Do you know what happens to a Toad when it gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

This is probably the single worst line of dialogue I have ever heard in a movie. I don't think she will be missed too much.
I think I already stated this on the first page in some form or another.
Old 07-09-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by kcbrett5
Brad Pitt for one. He took a small role for Snatch. I'm sure there are others.

There's a huge difference between what Halle is doing in Xmen versus Brad Pitt or other stars taking bit roles in movies. Bruce Willis had a supporting part in Pulp Fiction. But you know what? They were decent, stand out roles, and I seriously doubt they required those stars to hang around for 6 months of shooting, written and tailored to those stars.

Seriously, Halle would be stupid to take this role. It's a waste of her time. Her part was never particularly interesting and all she was given to do for the most part was...stand around. I have all of this success and the potential to do new roles...I know, let's waste half a year standing around in a boring part! Seriously, this bashing is silly. Halle made a good decision in my opinion...the character Storm was kind of a waste from the beginning, and was never really that well done. Is that Halle's fault? Honestly, not really, though she wasn't my number one choice. But now that she has so much other opportunity, she'd be a freakin dunce to be in this movie and not ask for something a little meatier. If her role sucks, why even waste the time?

It's not like she'd be pleasing the people who are criticizing her for bowing out. If she were still in the movie, she'd just be slammed for sucking. Now that she's passed, she's slammed for leaving the project. She made the right decision...it's not ego, it's using her brain and not wasting her time.
Old 07-09-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
Joss Whedon. He blames the line's poor reception on bad direction/delivery.
Sorry, but you can't polish a turd.
Old 07-09-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Halle was totally wrong as Storm. I wish her alot of luck with the Catwoman franchise, she's going to need it.

Here's another nomination for GAMBIT in X3.
Old 07-10-04, 12:52 AM

Storm is a pretty important character in the series, even though they've downplayed her, so I hope they replace Halle. It's not like there's much to replace.
Old 07-10-04, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Mordred
Why Fox didn't decide to do this the first time I'll never know. Angela is/was the only woman in Hollywood I could have conceived doing an good job with the part.
I remember reading an article, back when the first X-Men was in theaters, where Angel Bassett had been interviewed and the interviewer had told her about how the fans wanted her to play Storm. She said she had never been offered the role and would have been very interested if they had apporached her. I have always said she should have been Storm. I am sure she would have done the character proud. But in the end all is well because Storm was one of my least liked characters and I just say write her off.
Old 07-10-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chente
I seriously don't understand all the hate on this board for her. What the hell?
In this instance i think its because instead of saying "well, since my role wasnt very vital to the story i decided to not be in the film"

She pretty much said:

"Gimme a bigger role because i'm a big time actress!"

If she would have said something without sounding full of herself then there more than likely wouldnt be a problem here.
Old 07-10-04, 03:53 AM

I think the problem with the franchise is it is being based all around Hugh Jackman.. Yes, he is a big player in the comics, but he is not the only friggin' mutant and not every big event is because of his past, for God's sake! I think Halle could of done a decent job if they would of gave her more to say than corny lines like in the first film.

Personally, if they don't focus on at least Cyclops and his jealousy of Logan more in the third, then it proves to me, that Bryan Singer really has no clue about the stories of these characters.
Old 07-10-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Storm is a vital member of the X-Men comic books. She was the team leader for a very long run of issues and a great character that I would love to see developed in the movies. Don't get me wrong, Wolverine's cool but so are the rest of the X-Men. I don't blame Halle for wanting to play a more developed character. Frankly, her part wasn't great to begin with, her character is just a bit player in a movie written around Wolverine and Jean Grey. If she has the opportunity to do something else where she can try and flex her acting muscles why begrudge her for it.

I seriously don't understand all the hate on this board for her. What the hell? She is just an actress. It just seems like every is jumping around to see how they can top the last person that bashed her. Is she a great actress? No. Catwoman may bomb, but at least it is her vehicle. I can see why she would want to do something like that rather than stand in the background with 8 other people. James Marsden would probably do the same thing if he had a chance to star in a movie like she does.

I agree with your post. Even in the cartoon series she's right under Prof X in terms of leadership.

You don't understand all the hate? I figured out why most of the guys here on dvdtalk hate her long ago and it's very simple.

It's because she isn't some hot young chick like Lindsey Lohan or Keira Knightley. If she had been, the FANBOYS would've quickly overlooked any hints of "Diva" and they would be bitching in the opposite direction concerning her departure. Jesus Christ she won an Oscar. It is common for actors to want more once they get Oscars.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-10-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-10-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by UAIOE
In this instance i think its because instead of saying "well, since my role wasnt very vital to the story i decided to not be in the film"

She pretty much said:

If she would have said something without sounding full of herself then there more than likely wouldnt be a problem here.

Dude actors do this ALL THE TIME.
Old 07-10-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by ChefWinduAZ
I remember reading an article, back when the first X-Men was in theaters, where Angel Bassett had been interviewed and the interviewer had told her about how the fans wanted her to play Storm. She said she had never been offered the role and would have been very interested if they had apporached her. I have always said she should have been Storm. I am sure she would have done the character proud. But in the end all is well because Storm was one of my least liked characters and I just say write her off.

How do you know that? If they had cast Bassett then diminished the role like they did with Halle then it would be the same thing and we would be reading about how Bassett isn't doing X3.
Old 07-10-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

after catwomen bombs hopefully Halle "hit & run"'s career (snip)
Did you mean on or off the screen?
Old 07-10-04, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE

She pretty much said:

That isn't what she "pretty much said". She said that the role wasn't worth her time and I agree. Why should she stick with this role when it doesn't apparently match her career goals? Certainly not out of loyalty to the X-Men franchise which according to her interviews she knew nothing about before accepting the role.
Old 07-11-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
? Certainly not out of loyalty to the X-Men franchise which according to her interviews she knew nothing about before accepting the role.
Then maybe being such a big time oscar winner super-mega star, she should actually research her roles before she agrees to a payday.
Old 07-11-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Then maybe being such a big time oscar winner super-mega star, she should actually research her roles before she agrees to a payday.
? That makes very little sense.

She has stated that she didn't read comics before being offered the movie. It may come as a surprise to you but not every person does and the Earth continues to orbit the sun. I'm sure she when she accepted she knew much more about the character/role. My point was is that I don't think she accepted the role because she was a lifetime long X-Men fan since she had never read any of the comics. Why stick with it when there are greener pastures elsewhere. I'm sure she fullfiled her contractual obligations.
Old 07-11-04, 06:48 PM

That isn't what she "pretty much said". She said that the role wasn't worth her time and I agree. Why should she stick with this role when it doesn't apparently match her career goals? Certainly not out of loyalty to the X-Men franchise which according to her interviews she knew nothing about before accepting the role.
Why no one else understands this is beyond me. She's doing the RIGHT thing. If any of you were in her position, you would be doing the same thing.

I think many of you are letting your hate of Halle Berry cloud your abilty to understand that this decision is a SMART choice for her. Storm isn't even that good of a role. It probably doesn't pay as well as her other jobs. And it certainly doesn't offer much in the way of challenges or anything else. So why, why pray tell me, should Halle stick with this? To please fan boys? Seriously, those bashing for this decision need to think long and hard...this is a major commitment for her. Whether you like her or not, this isn't about ego...it's about the fact that she can get much better, beefier roles that require more from her. Or should could go play Storm and sit around for 6 months playing a bit part. If I were her agent, I'd call her an idiot for taking this role.
Old 07-11-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Why no one else understands this is beyond me. She's doing the RIGHT thing. If any of you were in her position, you would be doing the same thing.

I think many of you are letting your hate of Halle Berry cloud your abilty to understand that this decision is a SMART choice for her. Storm isn't even that good of a role. It probably doesn't pay as well as her other jobs. And it certainly doesn't offer much in the way of challenges or anything else. So why, why pray tell me, should Halle stick with this? To please fan boys? Seriously, those bashing for this decision need to think long and hard...this is a major commitment for her. Whether you like her or not, this isn't about ego...it's about the fact that she can get much better, beefier roles that require more from her. Or should could go play Storm and sit around for 6 months playing a bit part. If I were her agent, I'd call her an idiot for taking this role.

Old 07-11-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think many of you are letting your hate of Halle Berry cloud your abilty to understand that this decision is a SMART choice for her
I hate halle, but I agree. this is a good thing. this means I don't have to see her on screen. Her role in the first two took away some of the x-men feel for me and I'm a long time fan of the comics.

Oh, you mean good business choice for her. not just a good thing for the viewers. eh. I couldn't careless. Let her continue making crap like catwomen and lets see how far she will go.
Old 07-11-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Another thing to think about is that many actors have issues doing multiple sequels to begin with (see Batman). We should be grateful that we've been fairly lucky in actors and actresses signing for multiple pictures. Halle has a small role, and no reason to spend that time for a bit part when she can be starring in something else. No big loss on either way.
Old 07-11-04, 08:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
no drama here, don't replace Storm, use the opportunity (and the extra money which would have be wasted on Halle) to introduce another kick arse xmen character

maybe Angel or Archangel
Old 07-11-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah tell them you want more screentime than wolverine, That's showin them I'm surprised that when she did that one james bond movie she didn't ask for more screentime than pierce brosnan. What a psycho. (oh and by the way halle, you aren't that good anyways)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.