Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
it's true that there's really no language, violence, or sex in it.
The triple-breasted whore from Eroticon Six is disappointed in your response.

Old 04-08-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
They arent promoting this very well. I havent seen any commercials and have seen one poster up in San Francisco.
This doesn't sound good for opening weekend.
I'll admit I haven't seen much in the way of TV advertising. But I've been hearing a bunch of radio spots in the last week or two.
Old 04-08-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh man...i love zooey deschanel
Old 04-18-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/externalreviews

Bunch of (fairly mainstream) reviews including one from the BBC now posted, very good advanced notice.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-20-05 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been seeing a ton of previews on TV, mainly on UPN and Comedy Central. It's the lame "Summer Blockbuster Blow Crap Up" trailer, rather than the funny trailer that shows this movie will be a comedy.
Old 04-19-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Well excuse me if I never read the book when I was a kid,and only older sci-fi geeks I ran into raved about it. So I assumed it was a more adult orientated sci-fi satire type of deal.

So I was expecting it to be PG-13 like every other film today(nothing wrong with that),so the PG rating surprised me.

Jack is mixed up. The series was never a children's book series. It was a series spawned from a radio show. It is a quick read because Douglas Adams had a very easy, very amusing style. Granted, there aren't a lot of explosions in the book, apart from the Earth being blown away, but there's a fair bit of action, punctuated by exerpts from the Guide.

I just saw a biography of Adams in the Science Fiction section of B&N called Wish You Were Here. It's very sad that he died so young.
Old 04-19-05, 03:41 PM

There are three clips up over at Yahoo that are bloody fantastic.

Enjoy
Old 04-19-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just re-read the book. Man I can't wait, and the trailers look great too. At first I thought Martin Freeman was an interesting choice... until I realized he was the perfect choice!
Old 04-21-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Jack is mixed up. The series was never a children's book series. It was a series spawned from a radio show. .
Regardless, Julie has a thing to get anal about ratings and watering down or comprimising the original source.

In this case, and in the case of all the different versions of hitchhikers guide, they aren't the same when they jump from format to format. the book is different from the radio show and most of all and importantly talking about what Julie is concerned about, nothing is watered down because of a rating.
Old 04-21-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what little I've seen of the movie, it looks like a big budget version of the BBC miniseries, only with better actors, more explosions, and more dolphins singing.

I enjoyed the miniseries immensely, so I've no doubt I'll enjoy the movie just as much.

Besides, how can I pass up the opportunity to see Marvin voiced by Alan Rickman? They couldn't have picked a better actor for that character.
Old 04-21-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Another Alan Rickman fan here

Can't wait for the movie!
Old 04-21-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No doubt you will enjoy it. It's a great blend of the book and radio drama and Adams did state that the different formats would have changes to each other.
Old 04-22-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just found my original paperback floating around... I'm excited to read it on a flight down to Florida this Sunday! It will be cool to revist it as an adult. I just KNOW I'll need to play the Infocom game again too on my Palm through Frotz!
Old 04-28-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitc...to_the_galaxy/

It's bad when this quote is from one of the "fresh" reviews:

"The frantic action keeps us watching, although it's exhausting--like watching a feature-length trailer."
This film is like watching a feature-length trailer? That's one of the worst things that can be said about a film in my opinion.
Old 04-28-05, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Achtung
Just re-read the book. Man I can't wait, and the trailers look great too. At first I thought Martin Freeman was an interesting choice... until I realized he was the perfect choice!
Right you are!

I wasn't in the know on this one at all, so before I knew it the second preview was available for download and whn I saw that he was Arthur it felt like every loose piece in the Universe clicked into perfect harmony. He is so right for the part that it's eerie. I loved The Office and when I saw him for 3 seconds in Shaun of the Dead I got all happy. It's great to see him in a leading part.

Actually I like all the casting that I've seen. Thoughtfully faithful to the characters and not the studio suits demographics.

The one clip I've seen I was laughing at their delivery more than the situation. I'm laughing right now thinking of Sam Rockwell's "I've got an ideannggOOOOWWW!"
Old 04-28-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I love the book and am open-minded about the movie, but mixed reviews and poor trailers have me pretty sure it's going to bomb badly with the general public. Wait and see I guess...
Old 04-28-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I got to see this last night and I enjoyed it. I read the books close to 10 years ago and really enjoyed them, but I don't recall a lot of the details, so I can't really speak to how close its sticks to the source material.

Anyway, the movie, I liked it, but I'm not drooling in love with it. It's not bad, just not lights out spectacular entertainment. All the actors are pretty good, but they're not breaking new ground, its almost like their playing characters they've played in other movies/tv shows. Martin Freeman is Tim, Zooey Deschanel is playing her character from Elf, Sam Rockwell is playing the off the wall character we've seen before.

As for how it will play out in the general audience....I attended a free screening. The movie started at 7:30 and 7:20 they were still allowing people in who had the passes. Doesn't really mean anything, but I've attended screening at this same theater where getting their less than 30 minutes early means you're not getting in.
Old 04-28-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It got a good review in the NY Times today:
April 29, 2005
MOVIE REVIEW | 'THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY'
The Way the World Ends, With a Shrug and a Smile
By MANOHLA DARGIS

In the hugely likable, long-awaited film of Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," the world comes to an end not just with a bang, but also with something of a shrug. It isn't that Arthur Dent, the hero of our charmingly bent story, has no feelings for this cursed plot, this Earth. But being English - and played by Martin Freeman, the lovesick sales representative from the original British television series "The Office" - he generally faces even the most perilous bumps during his intragalactic tour with a degree of resignation. On one occasion, though, he does steady himself with a cup of tea.

Dent, it happens, has been saved from extinction by his alien buddy Ford Prefect (Mos Def), a smooth operator in a snow-white suit who fends off trouble with an ordinary bath towel and knows how to hitch rides on passing spaceships. Arthur and Ford initially land on such a ship, operated by the Vogons, an unpleasant race that constitute the bulk of the galaxy's bureaucracy and come equipped with expansive girths and lumpy porcine faces with smushed-in snouts. Beautifully constructed by the Jim Henson Creature Shop with an attention to expressive detail that recalls the political caricatures of Honoré Daumier, the Vogons function as the villains in this tale, though it is a measure of Adams's dry, gentle humor that the creatures' most devastating weapon is their exceptionally bad poetry.

Adams's ever-expanding "Hitchhiker" universe began in 1978 as a BBC radio series that went on to spawn a novel, still more radio episodes, albums, a television series, four more novels (the author called the books "a trilogy in five parts"), a stage play, comics and a computer game. For years, Adams and various would-be collaborators tried to add a movie to this list, but only after the writer died of a heart attack in May 2001 at age 49 did the project start to take real shape. Among the directors approached was Spike Jonze, an inspired choice given that all his films feel as if they take place on another planet. He demurred, but recommended two British music video and commercial directors who work under the impossibly severe name Hammer and Tongs.

Hammer and Tongs are actually Garth Jennings, who directed "Hitchhiker," and Nick Goldsmith, who served as one of the film's producers. Given their work's breezy mixture of high and low tech, geek-chic style and lightly skewed humor - their "Coffee and TV" music video for Blur features a walking, waving and smiling cartoon milk carton - it's easy to see why these unknowns received the nod (I suspect they were also comparatively cheap to hire). Like the other cinematic post-ironists, whose brightest lights include Mr. Jonze and another music director turned feature filmmaker, Michel Gondry ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"), Mr. Jennings and Mr. Goldsmith have held onto a genuine sense of childlike wonder, which works as a nice corrective to what might otherwise come across as an overabundance of hip.

Artless, casually knowing and deeply goofy, the first "Hitchhiker" book may have been hip at one time, but what stands out today is just how much Adams seemed to have been enjoying himself. (It is a condition of hip never to admit to be having a good time.) The novel is zany, but its humor is remarkably unstrained and, for the most part, the same goes for the movie. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," the name of the travel book Ford lends Arthur and which furnishes loads of practical information about the universe, has on its cover the legend "Don't panic." Mr. Jennings seems to have absorbed this sound advice. His filmmaking style is unrushed and - for a film stuffed with special effects - not overly busy, notwithstanding the Japanese schoolgirl with five torsos and one pair of knee-socked legs.

The hydra-headed schoolgirl pops up on a foggy planet, where Arthur, Ford and two other space travelers - an easygoing Earth girl with the moniker Trillian (Zooey Deschanel) and the president of the galaxy, Zaphod Beeblebrox (a sensational Sam Rockwell, riffing on Elvis and the current President Bush) - drop by for an atmospheric visit. This brief sojourn, which builds on a bit lifted from the second "Hitchhiker" book, doesn't really serve the plot, which is a relief, given that plot isn't the point. (The point of this particular episode is a patently freaky turn by John Malkovich.) The screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick, who shares credit with Adams, has written that the novelist admitted that his first book is a story with "a long beginning and then an ending." The same is more or less true of the movie.

This narrative bagginess is partly what makes the film feel true to Adams, if not in precise letter then certainly in mellow spirit. One of the pleasures of this loopy adventure - along with its gloriously singing dolphins and knit puppets - is that what keeps the story in gear are the moments when its four space trekkers - and Marvin, the depressed robot mellifluously voiced by Alan Rickman - are chattering about all manner of cheery nonsense. In the years since "Blade Runner" cast its long dark shadow, most science-fiction cinema has set a course for dystopia. When he blew up the planet in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," Douglas Adams knew that despite everything, there were a few things about human beings worth keeping - friendship, laughter and, of course, those exceedingly useful opposable thumbs.
Could it be? Did they actually make this movie without screwing it up?
Old 04-28-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Going to see a midnight showing tonight. Hope I get a laugh or two.
Old 04-29-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw it. Thought it was extremely funny and entertaining. I have to give them kudos for remaining faithful to the book and managing to get all of the major exposition spots included without distracting too much from the plot.
Having read the book recently, I know they added a lot of elements
Spoiler:
The whole love story, John Malkovich subplot, and Vogons chasing them everywhere was extra stuff.
While I enjoyed the performances of every actor, I agree with the above poster who said that no one was really doing anything they hadn't done before. Even though I find watching Sam Rockwell do his schtick a delight in any movie.

That said, I doubt this movie will get over with the general public. It reminded me a lot of a Terry Gilliam movie, and while I love stuff like that, a lot of people don't and would never try. Glad I attended a midnight showing, as I was definitely with the target fanbase for such a screening.
Old 04-29-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw a pre-screening of this Wednesday night.

I didn't like the movie that much for several reasons:
1) This didn't pertain to the movie but when I got on line (I got there at 6 PM and the screening started at 7:30) there were already like 200 ppl in front of me and it started to pour (I mean like monsoon rain) and since I only brought one of those cheap $3 umbrellas, I got soaked. Watching a movie with wet shoes & socks isn't fun at all
2) I was really tired so I actually fell asleep for much of the Malkovich subplot
3) I never read the books so to me this movie was all over the place.

As someone else posted Zooey Daschel just played her Elf Character again (she even had a shower scene again). Sam Rockwell reminded me of Owen Wilson. I actually thought that it was Owen Wilson for a while.

I'll have to watch this again to give it a fair chance but for now I only give it 1 star out of 4.
Old 04-29-05, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a moderate fan of the books and I was upset about some of the things I heard they left out of the movie. Then I got over it by listening to some of the books of tapes and that reminded me that putting everything from the book into the movie would make it a Lord Of The Rings Extended Version Trilogy length film. I bought tickets to the noon show for my wife and I. She's never read the books and to be honest I think she's only going to the movie because I'm going. Should be interesting to see what we each think of the film.
Old 04-29-05, 09:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
From MetaCritic:

Empire Dan Jolin
Mostly harmless. A very British, very funny sci-fi misadventure that's guaranteed to win converts.

Film Threat Pete Vonder Haar
Too often, the movie follows up Adams’ chaotic humor with weak slapstick and the incongruous love story.

Slate David Edelstein
An extremely pleasant, consistently amusing diversion that is never as uproarious as you might hope. But don't panic, as the Guide would say. In a pinch, it will do.

ReelViews James Berardinelli
Boasts a strong ensemble of performances. Martin Freeman is the perfect choice for an ordinary, unheroic Earth guy.

Los Angeles Times Kevin Thomas
There are some inspired off-the-wall moments, but they are more than offset by a pervasive aura of tedium and the lack of any sense of the forward momentum necessary to sustain an adventure of this kind.

Roger Ebert's 2-star review here
Old 04-29-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

James Berardinelli only gave it a 2 and a half though.
Old 04-29-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitc...to_the_galaxy/

It's bad when this quote is from one of the "fresh" reviews:

This film is like watching a feature-length trailer? That's one of the worst things that can be said about a film in my opinion.
Perhaps he meant that, in some comedy trailers (as well as trailers for other genres), the trailer is the best part. They include almost everything good about the movie within that brief time, and so is usually quite good.

A feature-length trailer, then, would simply be a movie that is chock full of laughs and goodness.

(Or, at least, that's what I'm hoping...)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.