Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TV Miniseries was over three hours long and it only covered about half the material in HHGTTG and half of "Restaurant". For a two hour movie, I think the first book will give them plenty of material, especially with all the new stuff that's been added.
Old 04-02-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm just going through the book right now and can't wait until this movie opens in theatres.
Old 04-02-05, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i cant wait until the movie comes out!

i finished the book in 3 days, well... maybe because i was camping and just bored

laterz
Old 04-03-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I wonder, and doubt it myself. The original audio BBC only went as far as the middle of Life, The Universe, And Everything, if I'm not mistaken. There were 12 segments, and the 12th one just left you hanging.

The movie version may go just as far, but may wrap it up to a point where it is either a cliff-hanger (an opening for a sequel), or they will end it prematurely by skipping So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish.

We'll see, I guess.
Actually, the 1st BBC radio series in 1978 is just 6 half-hour episodes, and covers what ended up being in the 1st book (HHGTTG) as well as the beginning and ending of the 2nd book (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe).

The 2nd BBC radio series (also 6 episodes) in 1979 took a whole different direction, most of which Adams either threw out or completely revised when he later wrote the 2nd book, so the middle of that book is this revised stuff.

The 3rd BBC radio series was just made last year and it completely ignored the 2nd radio series and was based entirely on the book Life, The Universe, and Everything (aka this 3rd radio series was essentially a sequel to the 1st two books, not the 1st two radio series).

And this year, the BBC is adapting So Long and Thanks For All the Fish for radio, with Mostly Harmless coming soon afterwards.
Old 04-04-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Anyone have a link to the new trailer (the one that makes fun of movie trailers)? That one sold me the ticket!
Old 04-04-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone have a link to the new trailer (the one that makes fun of movie trailers)? That one sold me the ticket!
It's this one:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchs...axy/trailer_3/
Old 04-05-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I guess this means that the Radio series will come out in a handsome collection of CD's.

I am always living in fear of my cassettes getting "eaten."
Old 04-06-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Well, I guess this means that the Radio series will come out in a handsome collection of CD's.

I am always living in fear of my cassettes getting "eaten."
I have this set of the first 2 radio series from amazon.uk:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0563477024/
Old 04-06-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I saw a tv spot today that said it was rated PG.

Having never read the books,nor seeing the British tv series.

I am wondering what rating do you think the material from the book/tv series is worthy of?

I would hate too see that this new movie turns out to be a completely cleaned up,toned down version of the original source.
Old 04-06-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Julie Walker.. this is reason why I think you take ratings way to fuck'n seriously. This book is a childerns reading book. The source material is PG. There's actually more violence and gun fire in the film than there is in the source material.

Just because a film is not rated R doesn't mean that it is bad or not true to its source.
Old 04-06-05, 08:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Amen, Jack. Preach on, brother!

I first read this book when I was seven.
Old 04-06-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Julie Walker.. this is reason why I think you take ratings way to fuck'n seriously. This book is a childerns reading book. The source material is PG. There's actually more violence and gun fire in the film than there is in the source material.

Just because a film is not rated R doesn't mean that it is bad or not true to its source.
If the movie is anything like the book, people expecting lots of action and violence will be very disappointed.
Old 04-06-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well not so. The movie really does add a bit more "action" and "gun fire" than the first book has.
Old 04-06-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well not so. The movie really does add a bit more "action" and "gun fire" than the first book has.
BTW, is the movie based on just the first book or do they use parts of the other books? Does anyone know?
Old 04-06-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say it's a children's book, but it's true that there's really no language, violence, or sex in it.
Old 04-06-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
BTW, is the movie based on just the first book or do they use parts of the other books? Does anyone know?

Already saw it. It has the first book, ends it right before the second book (true to the book) But it has a new side tracked event tossed in the middle of it that was written for the film and it works very well.
Old 04-07-05, 03:40 AM

Well excuse me if I never read the book when I was a kid,and only older sci-fi geeks I ran into raved about it. So I assumed it was a more adult orientated sci-fi satire type of deal.

So I was expecting it to be PG-13 like every other film today(nothing wrong with that),so the PG rating surprised me.

Old 04-07-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Already saw it. It has the first book, ends it right before the second book (true to the book) But it has a new side tracked event tossed in the middle of it that was written for the film and it works very well.
You saw it already? You bastard

Thanks, I can't wait to go and see it.
Old 04-07-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They may have added more action and stuff to appease certain people. I'm fine with that on one condition -- they don't lose the FUNNY.

Jack, can you confirm that the humor is there relative to the book?
Old 04-07-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
They may have added more action and stuff to appease certain people. I'm fine with that on one condition -- they don't lose the FUNNY.

Jack, can you confirm that the humor is there relative to the book?
Several Douglas Adams/Hitchhiker's Guide fansite webmasters got to see a private screening of it, and they all came back with positive things to say about it.

http://www.douglasadams.se/forum/vie...?p=50854#50854
http://www.h2g2movie.com/pages/review.html
Old 04-07-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
A lot of the funny in the book comes from the third person narrative employed by Adams, so obviously they will have to add some stuff here and there to make it translate visually.
Old 04-07-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They arent promoting this very well. I havent seen any commercials and have seen one poster up in San Francisco.
This doesn't sound good for opening weekend.
Old 04-07-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
They arent promoting this very well. I havent seen any commercials and have seen one poster up in San Francisco.
This doesn't sound good for opening weekend.
Luckily they have a few weeks to promote it still, since it opens April 29.
Old 04-07-05, 02:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I've got a funny story regarding the teaser trailer to this movie... the one that just shows the earth blowing up, after "what a wonderful world" is played. Didn't happen to me, but funny nonetheless.

My friend was at the movies and was sitting behind a couple that appeared to be on one of their first dates. Anyway, this preview comes on. The song starts playing, and the guy turns to his date and says, "Oh, this is a preview for the movie RAY. great movie. So good"

Ok, so Ray had already been released in theaters by this time, AND the song is by Louis Armstrong and not Ray Charles. she says, "I don't think this is from Ray." He insists that it is, and continues to say "man, that is a great movie. Jamie Foxx is great" and things like that.

She kind of realizes it's not worth arguing about, so she drops it. He continues to comment about Ray, and then right as he is midsentence, the Earth explodes. he just sits there, staring at the screen.

it was all my friend could do to keep from laughing hysterically.
Old 04-07-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I've got a funny story regarding the teaser trailer to this movie... the one that just shows the earth blowing up, after "what a wonderful world" is played. Didn't happen to me, but funny nonetheless.

My friend was at the movies and was sitting behind a couple that appeared to be on one of their first dates. Anyway, this preview comes on. The song starts playing, and the guy turns to his date and says, "Oh, this is a preview for the movie RAY. great movie. So good"

Ok, so Ray had already been released in theaters by this time, AND the song is by Louis Armstrong and not Ray Charles. she says, "I don't think this is from Ray." He insists that it is, and continues to say "man, that is a great movie. Jamie Foxx is great" and things like that.

She kind of realizes it's not worth arguing about, so she drops it. He continues to comment about Ray, and then right as he is midsentence, the Earth explodes. he just sits there, staring at the screen.

it was all my friend could do to keep from laughing hysterically.

It cool that they decided to use that song for the teaser, since that's the same song that played at the end of the HHGTTG Radio & TV series. It's the little things like that that convinced my that my hope for this movie was not misplaced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.