Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boycotting I, Robot??

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boycotting I, Robot??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 06:26 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not in the I, Robot book, but in one of Asimov's full length novels concerning robots, there is a murder committed by a robot, so it isn't completely opposite to Asimov's ideas on robots.
Old 07-09-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In one of his Robot novels, a robot is designed to not know humans are in something (thus robot = weapon). In another, a part of a robot is used in a murder. A robot never murders anyone that I can remember (and I just recently re-read the I, Robot collection, Caves of Steel, working through The Naked Sun again.

I guess you could say a robot did so in one of the late Robot novels, but it was for the sake of the imperfect Zeroeth law. And he didn't survive it, either.

MAAAYYBE the trailer was designed to fool us. But I saw robots jumping onto Will Smith's car as he was driving it. A robots smashing things.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-09-04 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
You know I'm still waiting to hear whether this movie really does butcher everything Asimov stood for. Granted, the robot rampage isn't really what Asimov had in mind, but I haven't heard from one person who's actually seen the movie. We don't even know what happens in it, how the ideas of Asimov fit in, nothing. We have a couple crappy trailers which have gotten better, and lots of internet hatred for Smith.

I just find it silly to boycott a movie because we THINK it's raping Asimov. Hell, I find it silly to boycott a movie period.

Now...has anyone actually SEEN the movie, and can that person comment on how faithful it is to Asimov's three laws and story ideas? This could be a good sci-fi movie, who knows.
I was thinking the same thing. It's funny to see people saying that the movie goes against everything in the books when they haven't seen it and are basing everything from what they percieve from the trailers. I have faith in Proyas to deliver something more then what it appears.