Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Check out what's on Michael Bay's website.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Check out what's on Michael Bay's website.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least Bay has made a couple of films that are entertaining and that don't completely look like 2 hour music videos. McG (who I think blows rhino) can't even hold Bay's jock.
Old 07-01-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm interesting. If given a decent script, and hopefully if someone tells him to calm his editing down a little, this has potential. While I've never thought him very good actors, a big concern of mine with this is his ability to handle the actors. His characterizations in his films has always been...way over the top and obnoxious for some of his characters, with never a ton of depth.

BUT...if the WB can reign those things in line, and make Bay pace his film, calm down the editing, and get good actors, then Bay could work well. He does have a great eye for composition at least.
Old 07-01-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think they need to silence all the casting rumors and start over. Forget attracting the female crowd with the hot young star. Superman needs to be a man. Leave the kiddy stuff to Smallville. A thirty-something actor, someone mature. And I would like to see an older Lois as well, someone like Kristen Davis, not some teenie bopper who's hot for thier 15 minutes of fame -actress.

Abandon Johnny Depp as Lex. What is that about?
Old 07-01-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh no... I just remembered. Bay has worked with Josh Hartnett.

Couldn't agree more about Kristen Davis, she's been my pick for Lois for over a year now.
Old 07-01-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He's one of the best for action movies but he is a poor storyteller filmmaker. The characters and plot just are there always. Obviously that's on the screenwriter, but it's the director's job in part, too.
Old 07-02-04, 12:00 AM

I think Kristen Davis would be a great choice, but let's get real, she'll never happen. She's too old. Not in the sense that she's too old now, but how many sequels could she do. And yes, no doubt Warner will consider that.

Nonetheless, Bay...better than McG at least. While Bay is a crappy storyteller, McG has at this point failed to make a movie that even had a story. So I guess Bay has the leg up.
Old 07-02-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Reeve was I believe 25 or 26 when he filmed the first Superman. So anyone mid-20's to 30ish would be perfect imo.
Old 07-02-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it's gone now...

I'm guessing it was a teaser, or worse, it was a hacker's joke.

(Oh, and since no-one can post in a Superman thread without making an unnecessary casting suggestion, EOIN BAILEY needs to be Superman! )
Old 07-02-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The more I think about it the more I think Michael Bay is perfect for it. For one its a comic book movie so we're not expecting this intellectual thriller and #2 its Superman who's story's been done to death we don't even need the lame origins aspect of the storyline. Bay is the perfect choice for a comic book film. Don't let the intellectual guys touch them! (ie Hulk)
Old 07-02-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
It works for me.

And Kristin Davis would be the perfect Lois Lane. Alas.

I hope they cast Supes properly. He has to be the ultimate hero: first string varsity QB meets your cool older brother who teaches you how to fish and make your own sausages.
Old 07-02-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a side note, I just came across this page on his site as well.

The Art of DVD Talk

Very misleading I might add.
Old 07-02-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a really fun discussion on this over at screenwriter Brian Lynch's board. Read JonS's post, it's great.

http://www.angrynakedpat.com/wwwboar...ges54/1516.htm
Old 07-02-04, 09:33 AM

They were going after Bay a long time ago and Bay ultimately passed. When they asked him why he did so, he said flat out that he didn't understand the whole superhero thing (I guess he wasn't a comic reader when he was young). To illustrate how "mystifying" it was to him, he pointed to a scene in the script involving Air Force One having mechanical trouble and Superman having to carry/guide it onto the tarmac. I think this was all in an issue of Entertainment Weekly, so it's definitely in print with direct quotes.

I don't know about you, but I don't see what's so hard to understand about that scene. It just seems like the guy has no connection or openess to comic book-style sequences at all, which is weird considering how freaking ridiculous his own movies are.

I'd have preferred McG. In his first movie, he proved he could shoot images as pretty as Bay's and edit action sequences that you can easily follow but which still have that intense MTV feel. Bay has yet to achieve the latter across 5 movies.
Old 07-02-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the Hollywood Reporter...

July 02, 2004

The Vine: Superman logo invades Bay site

The rumor mill swirling around Warner Bros. Pictures' next installment of its Superman franchise switched into overdrive Thursday when a Superman logo appeared on www.michaelbay.com, which bills itself as director Michael Bay's "official" Web site. Although McG has been on board to direct the project since last summer, in recent weeks rumors have been circulating that there are problems between the studio and the "Charlie's Angels" director over the location of the shoot, according to sources. That has sparked talk that Bay is in line to replace McG. A Warner Bros. spokesperson maintains that the studio is still very much in business with McG and that rumors about Bay's involvement are "absolutely not true"; a WMA spokesperson confirmed that Bay has not been approached about the film. Bay said through a staffer that the site is operated by a fan and that he had no involvement in posting the logo. It remains unclear who put the tell-tale Superman logo on the site, but by 5 p.m. Thursday it had just as mysteriously disappeared. (Chris Gardner)
Old 07-02-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First they give Fantastic 4 to the Director of Barbershop 2 and now this news.
Bay is right up there or should I say down there with Brucheimer.
Bad news!
Old 07-02-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

me = praying to god Michael Bay really is directing Superman
Old 07-02-04, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
http://filmforce.ign.com/superman/ar.../528003p1.html
Bay Denies Superman Rumors (Again)
Plus, is Henry Cavill running to Logan's?

July 02, 2004 - The Hollywood Reporter was advised by both a Warner Brothers spokesperson and by the William Morris Agency that filmmaker Michael Bay is not in the running to direct the next Superman movie.

The WB rep called this week's rumors – fueled by an intriguing posting at Bay's official site – "absolutely not true." The WMA told THR that Bay has not been approached by Warner Bros. to direct.

The studio told the trade that McG is still onboard to direct Superman, despite recent reports to the contrary.

Bay reportedly "said through a staffer that the site is operated by a fan and that he had no involvement in posting the logo. It remains unclear who put the tell-tale Superman logo on the site, but by 5 p.m. Thursday it had just as mysteriously disappeared."

In related news, Superman-V.com reports that a "source super-close to M. Night Shyamalan informs us that the oft-rumoured director is not interested in doing Superman at this time."

The site also claims that "that Henry Cavill may not be the next Superman, but rumour has it he is one of the actors being eyed for the lead in Bryan Singer's Logan's Run, set to start lensing in Canada this September."
Old 07-02-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too bad. Henry's too young for Superman anyway.

Originally posted by riley_dude
First they give Fantastic 4 to the Director of Barbershop 2 and now this news.
Bay is right up there or should I say down there with Brucheimer.
Bad news!
Where do I begin...

Fantastic Four is being directed by Tim Story, who did the first Barbershop, and has apprently turned in a decent action movie with his remake of Taxi.

Of course Bay is up there (or should I say DOWN there, hyuk hyuk, see what I did there, I'm HI-LARIOUS) with Bruckheimer. They've worked together for years. Some of it's good, some of it's bad, just like any famous careeer.

I want to see a Superman action film... and I'm confident that, if the news was true, then that's exactly what Bay would turn in.
Old 07-02-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Like someone else said, having it be either Bay or McG is like having to choose between having your favorite comic book chewed by a dog or a hairball harked on it by a cat.

Superman is about truth, justice, and the American way. Not abs, hip-hop, and booty.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-02-04 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

McG... oh boy...

i rather have Michael Bay handle this mammoth project

Charlie's Angels 2 STINK!!! the 1st one was fun...
Old 07-02-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Like someone else said, having it be either Bay or McG is like having to choose between having your favorite comic book chewed by a dog or a hairball harked on it by a cat.

Superman is about truth, justice, and the American way. Not abs, hip-hop, and booty.
So Bay is perfect? I don't recall abs, hip-hop, or much booty in The Rock, the best action movie ever
Old 07-02-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
i don't get all the MB hating. True, he isn't the greatest director in the world, but he does have an eye for great cinematic shots, and a knack for blowing shit up in style. All he needs to work on is the character development, and editing style. 15 shots in 30 seconds gets pretty old after about 10 minutes.

I have my doubts about anyone doing a new Superman movie, but I think Bay would be a good fit.
Old 07-03-04, 12:57 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cruzness
At least Bay has made a couple of films that are entertaining and that don't completely look like 2 hour music videos. McG (who I think blows rhino) can't even hold Bay's jock.
****in' a right!! Bay is tha man.

Old 07-03-04, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by cruzness
McG (who I think blows rhino) can't even hold Bay's jock.
i always took bay as a boxer man
Old 07-03-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by costanza
i always took bay as a boxer man
People ususally don't wear jock straps as underwear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.