Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw it tonight, didn't think it was that great. Good fun, but not awe-inspiring.
Old 07-04-04, 12:10 AM

I thought it was great and the audience at my showing didn't laugh at the body surfing scene.

I have a question. Did they goof with Dr. Ock. When his arms are first revealed, he says they are resistant to electricity, magnetism, etc, but in the final battle scene he gets zapped before Spiderman pulls the plug. Did I misunderstand or was there a goof?
Old 07-04-04, 12:25 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't MJ look hot when she was tied up in the end with the rain?

Anyway, thought the film was pretty good. Didn't like the train scene where everyone saw his face. Come on, someone is going to tell.
Old 07-04-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chooch
I thought it was great and the audience at my showing didn't laugh at the body surfing scene.

I have a question. Did they goof with Dr. Ock. When his arms are first revealed, he says they are resistant to electricity, magnetism, etc, but in the final battle scene he gets zapped before Spiderman pulls the plug. Did I misunderstand or was there a goof?
He definitely said they were resistant to magnetism, but I don't remember him mentioning electricity.
Old 07-04-04, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Chooch

I think they only said magnetism and heat.
Old 07-04-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
Didn't MJ look hot when she was tied up in the end with the rain?

Anyway, thought the film was pretty good. Didn't like the train scene where everyone saw his face. Come on, someone is going to tell.
Yes she lookes amazing.

And tell what? That they saw Spider-Mans face? Big deal. Its not like any of them knew who he actually was.
Old 07-04-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the ending!!! MJ just looking out the window watching spidey take off!!! It really sets the mood for Spidey 3! You can bet that it's going to be about MJ dealing with Peter being Spider-Man.
Old 07-04-04, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
I loved the ending!!! MJ just looking out the window watching spidey take off!!! It really sets the mood for Spidey 3! You can bet that it's going to be about MJ dealing with Peter being Spider-Man.
It was kind of a weird shot to me. When MJ leans her head against the window frame, some really depressing music cued. I was like . She kind of has a blank expression, so I didn't know if it was supposed to be ominous or something.
Old 07-04-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
he didn't mention electricity. he mentioned fire.
Old 07-04-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took my 9 and 6 years old niece and nephew and the SO. We all loved the hell outta the first one. If this is any indication, the youngerlings talked and fidgeted during the movie and for the 1st time I can ever remember my SO actually got up and went to the bathroom during the movie. That has never happened. We talked about the movie afterwards and we agreed that there was to much dialogue and not enough action.

Doc Ock was like a sub-plot of the movie. The two women that Peter wants to save from his enemies are the same two that his enemies pick on anyways. And what superhero lets that many people in on his secret identity anyways?

I liked the movie, but I didn't enjoy it. Still, I do enjoy the now obligatory MJ t-shirt nip shot.
Old 07-04-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 310 Posts
Again, I will say I thought it was great. Easily the best movie I've seen this year.
Old 07-04-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as far as the people seeing his face on the train it's not a big deal because I din't think his idenity is in jeopardy for 2 reasons.

1) he saved the life of the people on the train and they were grateful and obviously ready to stick up for Spidey

2) I don't think anyone would recognize him anyway. Its not like Peter is famous or anything, he's pretty much an everyman (if people were to find out Bruce Wayne was Batman it would be a completely different story because of his status). There are a million people in NYC, if one of them saw Peter walking down the street they might do a double take but probably wont make the connection.
Old 07-04-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Took my 9 and 6 years old niece and nephew and the SO. We all loved the hell outta the first one. If this is any indication, the youngerlings talked and fidgeted during the movie and for the 1st time I can ever remember my SO actually got up and went to the bathroom during the movie. That has never happened. We talked about the movie afterwards and we agreed that there was to much dialogue and not enough action.
I'm curious how they took the operation scene. I still think it was waaay too intense for a younger audience. I don't have kids but I'm kinda curious.

Yeah, I don't get the laughing at the bodysurfing thing either. To me, the entire train scene up until its conclusion was the most intense scene of the movie. I was on the edge of my seat for that. My palms were even sweaty! lol. While most of the rest of the movie was predictible, I had no idea how that sequence was going to play out. Kudos to Raimi on that sequence.
Old 07-04-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Saw it tonight, didn't think it was that great. Good fun, but not awe-inspiring.

Dang, I found both this and Farenheit 9/11 to be both fun and awe-inspiring. Something wrong with me?
Old 07-04-04, 10:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 949 Likes on 795 Posts
I agree with that operation scene...that was pretty graphic...though they didn't show blood and stuff, I was a little uncomfortable simply because I am a teacher and I taught middle school and I knew all the kids in the theater that day and was a little perturbed on that behalf. I think it coincided to the GG scene in 1 during the glider test and the carnival, but they simply evaporated to death which was more comical that graphic. I think it is the screams of agony and horror that put this into very much R rated terror-tory.
Old 07-04-04, 10:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 949 Likes on 795 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
if peeps laughed at that scene then they didn't understand it, nor did they have the emotional capabilities to handle it. no testing was necessary. they knew what they were doing and it worked perfectly. i, nor anyone in my theater laughed even remotely out loud during the scene!
The more I think about this scene the more I think that this scene and the moments leading up to it are perhaps the most important in the 2 movies thus far.

I just want to further some of my thoughts on this reading some of the banter for and against...in the 2 or so minutes, this "body surfing" scene is shown and then Pete/Spider-Man waking up he realizes that all he has been doing has been worth it. He realizes in those moments "that with great power comes great responsibility". Nothing shows that more than this scene.

He is unmasked, raw, and vulnerable. Insecure without his mask and the people respond with warmth and heart. The human heart that he has been fighting for and questioning for the past years. With the people, not even hesitating, to say they will keep his identity a trust is formed. A trust that will become so significant, that though it wasn't truly recognized will relinquish fear for Pete to reveal to the people he loves: Harry and of course Mary Jane. Though he may not have intentionally told each, he didn't have to cower or make up some lame excuse. To Harry, he ripped up his bondage and protested to the fact, realizing the bigger consequence and trying to find Octavius. Because of that train scene, it was much easier for him to reveal to Harry.

Because of that train scene, he didn't give it a second thought when MJ saw his true self in the final battle. It was that trust that was formed with the people of NYC that created all the foreshadowing for the end pen and ultimate reveals.

That scene and that scene alone in its moments were warm, sentimental, and above all poignant. That scene was done with care and a great deal of thought on Raimi and all others involved. It was that scene that in my opinion is one of the most important scenes in the true testament of a true hero, in the very definition of a hero.
Old 07-04-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tafellappen
I'm also baffled why he chose MJ rather than the girl who made him cake! Who would do that?!?!?
That scene was SO not needed. What was the point?

And where was Doc Oc's accent?

Now that we've met Dr. Connors, I wonder if the Lizard will be included in the next movie. We can't just have another Green Goblin film.
Old 07-04-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,155 Posts
Originally posted by cactusoly
as far as the people seeing his face on the train it's not a big deal because I din't think his idenity is in jeopardy for 2 reasons.

1) he saved the life of the people on the train and they were grateful and obviously ready to stick up for Spidey

2) I don't think anyone would recognize him anyway. Its not like Peter is famous or anything, he's pretty much an everyman (if people were to find out Bruce Wayne was Batman it would be a completely different story because of his status). There are a million people in NYC, if one of them saw Peter walking down the street they might do a double take but probably wont make the connection.

I agree. It's a non-issue.
Old 07-04-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by scott1598
The more I think about this scene the more I think that this scene and the moments leading up to it are perhaps the most important in the 2 movies thus far.

I just want to further some of my thoughts on this reading some of the banter for and against...in the 2 or so minutes, this "body surfing" scene is shown and then Pete/Spider-Man waking up he realizes that all he has been doing has been worth it. He realizes in those moments "that with great power comes great responsibility". Nothing shows that more than this scene.

He is unmasked, raw, and vulnerable. Insecure without his mask and the people respond with warmth and heart. The human heart that he has been fighting for and questioning for the past years. With the people, not even hesitating, to say they will keep his identity a trust is formed. A trust that will become so significant, that though it wasn't truly recognized will relinquish fear for Pete to reveal to the people he loves: Harry and of course Mary Jane. Though he may not have intentionally told each, he didn't have to cower or make up some lame excuse. To Harry, he ripped up his bondage and protested to the fact, realizing the bigger consequence and trying to find Octavius. Because of that train scene, it was much easier for him to reveal to Harry.

Because of that train scene, he didn't give it a second thought when MJ saw his true self in the final battle. It was that trust that was formed with the people of NYC that created all the foreshadowing for the end pen and ultimate reveals.

That scene and that scene alone in its moments were warm, sentimental, and above all poignant. That scene was done with care and a great deal of thought on Raimi and all others involved. It was that scene that in my opinion is one of the most important scenes in the true testament of a true hero, in the very definition of a hero.

I agree and what a great post. Every thing from the hands catching him to when the people stood up for him and got between him and Doc Oc gave me a chill and I must admit I was kinda....really choked up the whole time. That whole part of the movie was one of my favorite parts.
Old 07-04-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Snowmaker
That scene was SO not needed. What was the point?

And where was Doc Oc's accent?

Not needed? What? When I saw it the crowd laughed everytime the landlord and his daughter were onscreen and they seem to enjoy them. She was funny.
Old 07-04-04, 11:55 AM

I wasnt a big fan of the first one, thought it was okay. But I LOVED the second one. Had so much more of an emotional core (for me at least) and I really liked Molina. Thought Doc Ock was so much more interesting than Green Goblin.

Loved the train scene.

I know alot of people gripe about there not being enough action, but I liked the deeper story. I think I enjoyed the scenes with Peter Parker as much or more than the Spiderman scenes.

I'll buy this one, and I now look forward to part 3. I just hope it's not with Green Goblin 2 (or is it HobGoblin) as the villain.
Old 07-04-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I am GLAD they didn't give Doc Ock his accent. Molina is a good actor, but I always thought that the accent and coke bottle glasses factor hindered the character. The changes made by Raimi and co. were very much for the better and turned what could have been a cookie cutter character into a bada$$ yet still sympathetic villain.
Old 07-04-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I agree. It's a non-issue.
I understand that Raimi is trying to show that the people appreciate Spider-Man and what he's done for the city, but i find it hard to believe someone on that train wouldn't sell a description of Spider-Man's face for a million bucks New Yorkers sticking up for Spider-Man in the first movie already made me roll my eyes... doing it yet again in the 2nd was unnecessary.
Old 07-04-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
I understand that Raimi is trying to show that the people appreciate Spider-Man and what he's done for the city, but i find it hard to believe someone on that train wouldn't sell a description of Spider-Man's face for a million bucks New Yorkers sticking up for Spider-Man in the first movie already made me roll my eyes... doing it yet again in the 2nd was unnecessary.

I think that what they need to do to counter this is have a spot in III where Spidey gets beaten up by a supervillain and lands in the middle of a bunch of thugs who want nothing more than to make him hurt.
Also, many people have Metropolis have seen Superman up close, yet no one has ever announced that he's Clark Kent or drawn glasses on the big guy in a pic. Bottomline, it would be hard to pick Parker, Kent, or any one hero out in a city of millions, real world or comic book.
Old 07-04-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
If I were in Peter Parkers position and knew a life with MJ wasn't going to happen I would so be tapping the chick with the cake everynight.

1. Go to work
2. Save some people
3. Go to class
4. Save some people
5. Do the chick with the cake

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.