Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^Yeah, I guess I just meant it didn't have to be. It felt forced, especially when crowd/people reactions weren't overdone like this in the original film.
Old 07-03-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it as Raimi having a bit more creative control this time out, and the studios allowing him to do more Raimi-esque shots, etc. That Operating room scene is pretty reminiscent of his early films.
Old 07-03-04, 09:37 AM

I liked the zoom-in screaming shots. They were fun. Some of you take this stuff much too seriously.
Old 07-03-04, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
While this is pure speculation, does anyone think Harry might have actually been planning something for MJ's wedding that got foiled once she didn't show? Doubtful, since he most likely didn't have the time to do it. Just something about his face suggested he had a dastardly plan, but that's the way he always looks.
Nah, I don't think he was planning anything specifically for the wedding. Harry did have this somewhat cocky/malevolent expression on his face, but I thought it was because he was confident again and had found a new purpose in life.

I'm looking forward to seeing Franco as a villain in the next one.

As for Spidey losing his powers, I found it believable. Peter resented his "Spider-Man side" for the problems in his everyday life--he couldn't have MJ, his best friend hated him, he couldn't concentrate on his studies 'cause he was tired out from fighting crime. So, he subconsciously causes his powers to fail. That was one of the things I really liked about the movie.

Last edited by areacode212; 07-03-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 10:17 AM
dgc

Originally posted by Abranut
I took it as Raimi having a bit more creative control this time out, and the studios allowing him to do more Raimi-esque shots, etc. That Operating room scene is pretty reminiscent of his early films.
exactly!!!

I loved it. Time to give AOD a spin.
Old 07-03-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw it last night and I absolutely loved it. A very close second to Superman and personally the movie of the year so far. I think Tobey did a wonderful job as Peter. Loved the "mask off" scenes. All of 'em. And I know this is just me pushing it and being such a fan of supes but I found some homages to Superman I & II in there. Doc Ock was great and not overly exposed. And those tentacles were IMO, flawless f/x. Such good fights between the two of them. Just awesome.
Old 07-03-04, 11:30 AM
Cool New Member

I saw when it first came out and it was really good. Kind of like the first one, it was really cheesy, but that's why it was great.
Old 07-03-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The B5 guy?

Originally posted by kuyax
Yeah, aunt may discover peter's secret by accident. I think it was revealed in Amazing Spiderman #39/40 (?). You can buy the paperback in amazon, just look for J.M.Stracynski as the writer.
Old 07-03-04, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
The B5 guy?
yup, the B5 guy

here's a link of the book
Old 07-03-04, 01:28 PM

I thought the film was very well done. A little slow in parts and I would have liked a touch more action but still a great movie.

I loved the OR scene. I think he must have pulled the audio straight from AOD. I don't think it was that out of tune with the rest of the movie. Doc Ock was a killer(at least the arms) and he showed that in this scene. Many other places in the movie that people would have died if it weren't for Spiderman saving them. Only complaint is the they wouldn't have been doing surgery on him without an anesthesiologist, an endotracheal tube, etc but that point would be missed by most people.

I give it 4/5 stars and bet it will grow on me with time. Much better than the first one though still not to the level of X2 IMHO.
Old 07-03-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Spider-Man unmasked in the train bugged the hell out of me... and i agree with whoever posted earlier that both times the "New Yorkers scenes" in both films were annoying. Quite a few people laughed in the theater when they were carrying Spider-Man over their heads in the train as well.
Old 07-03-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El
I know this is just me pushing it and being such a fan of supes but I found some homages to Superman I & II in there. .
Not just you, I loved the shot of Ock's wife reflected in the flying glass. Looked just like Superman.

As for the unmasked scenes, I don't see a problem. Strangers don't know his name only his face, so unless he becomes a big celebrity they will continue to have no idea who Spider-man is.

Yep, people laughed at the 'body surfing' spidey scene at my showing as well. They should have tested it a few times and done something different with it.
Old 07-03-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that the final shot of the film lets us know that MJ is dead by the end of the third film. I assume the idea is to get rid of 2 of the 3 actors (Franco and Dunst) that might not want to sign for a 4th film. I would bet that the villains will be Green Goblin using The Lizard as his brute force cause he's a wimp. But as weak as he will be, he will take out MJ by the end of the film. The last scene of SM2 showed us that she made her choice, and by cutting back to her for the final shot instead of staying with Spider-Man swinging through NYC, pretty much foreshadows that her choice will be fatal . . . IMO.

Awesome movie. Wanted more Doc Ock, but I loved every minute, and wouldn't cut any of the Peter/MJ stuff for more Ock.
Old 07-03-04, 06:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 947 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Yep, people laughed at the 'body surfing' spidey scene at my showing as well. They should have tested it a few times and done something different with it.
if peeps laughed at that scene then they didn't understand it, nor did they have the emotional capabilities to handle it. no testing was necessary. they knew what they were doing and it worked perfectly. i, nor anyone in my theater laughed even remotely out loud during the scene!
Old 07-03-04, 06:36 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
awesome movie, great mix of action, romance and drama

Loved the old street lady singing the Cartoon Spiderman theme tune, really marked out over that!

Also loved the scene on the train, very moving

Doc Oct rocked, not overdone, just right

didn't really like Harry, he was the weak link in the movie, let's not make Spiderman 3 about him.
Old 07-03-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
All the little touches were there. I don't understands people saying Dunst and Tobey were bad, they were amazing. The chemistry between them is incredible. I had misty eyes quite a few times during the film.
Hard to believe the amazing chemistry that they have on-screen even after their failed real life relationship. Kudos to them since they make me believe in their troubles.
Old 07-03-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't read all of the 8 pages of this thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned but did anybody else noticed Phil Lamarr (formely of Mad TV) as one of the New Yorkers in the subway.

I love this movie and is one of my favorite comic book film adaptation so far.

Can't wait for the third one to come out in 2007.
Old 07-03-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mittman
I think that the final shot of the film lets us know that MJ is dead by the end of the third film. I assume the idea is to get rid of 2 of the 3 actors (Franco and Dunst) that might not want to sign for a 4th film. I would bet that the villains will be Green Goblin using The Lizard as his brute force cause he's a wimp. But as weak as he will be, he will take out MJ by the end of the film. The last scene of SM2 showed us that she made her choice, and by cutting back to her for the final shot instead of staying with Spider-Man swinging through NYC, pretty much foreshadows that her choice will be fatal . . . IMO.

Awesome movie. Wanted more Doc Ock, but I loved every minute, and wouldn't cut any of the Peter/MJ stuff for more Ock.
Sincerely, I hope you are wrong since I really like the chemistry between Maguire and Durnst as they make Peter and MJ relationship believable. Also that they hold off on the wedding for the 3rd part.
Old 07-03-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Great movie. Best summer movie I've seen so far.

I'm just glad it wasn't titled "S2" or something like that. All of these "cool" acronyms are getting annoying (ID4, M:I2, LXG, AVP, MIB, X2, etc.)
Old 07-03-04, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Spider-Man unmasked in the train bugged the hell out of me... and i agree with whoever posted earlier that both times the "New Yorkers scenes" in both films were annoying. Quite a few people laughed in the theater when they were carrying Spider-Man over their heads in the train as well.
Tell me again why people laughed? I guess I don't see any way that was a funny part.
Old 07-03-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
Tell me again why people laughed? I guess I don't see any way that was a funny part.

People laughed at my screening as well. I guess the thought of Spider-Man crowd surfing is hiliarious to some.
Old 07-03-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
if peeps laughed at that scene then they didn't understand it, nor did they have the emotional capabilities to handle it. no testing was necessary. they knew what they were doing and it worked perfectly. i, nor anyone in my theater laughed even remotely out loud during the scene!
I agree, and once again this furthers my beef about moviegoers becoming so jaded. It was all tied into Aunt May's speech about Heroes and how people love them. I'll bet most people who laughed weren't paying attention to her ealier words. Peter feeling like no one cares about him when he's in trouble is also a common theme in the Spider-man comics.

Instead they were playing Junior Movie Critic and making up their minds about how lame they thought her speech was thus missing the point.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-03-04 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-03-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Mittman

Interesting theory. However I think you're reading too much into the final shot. And also remember this is a hollywood film and its rare that they would let the bad guy sucessfully kill off a main charactor (yes i know they did this in the comic books).

Raimi wanted this to be a trilogy so my guess is that at the end of it all they get married. Although it would be cool to have her die. It would make it an awesome twist IMO.
Old 07-03-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Amen. Remember, some people laughed during "Passion of the Christ" or "Schindler's List" too.
Old 07-04-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
People laughed at my screening as well. I guess the thought of Spider-Man crowd surfing is hiliarious to some.
Yeah, there were a lot of 5 year olds in my theater too.

One of the best films I've seen all year, if not of all time. 10 times better than the first movie, which I loved. But the first film has WAY too much Green Goblin. This was the perfect blend: 80% Spider-man, 20% Doc Ock. When I see a movie called "Spider-Man" I want it to be about Spider-Man.

The effects were amazing (still not sure how they are supposed to show someone who moves the way Spider-Man can move and NOT have it look a little fake. Some of you will never be pleased by any type of CGI.) For the first time I felt like I was watching a comic book on screen. It even occured to me that they were tearing the shit out of the city in their fights. It was brutal, looked painful and was very exciting to watch.

Awesome that they revealed his identity to MJ. I could not put up with another "will she find out?" film.

Doc Ock was amazing, and the surgery scene was especially brutal. I loved the serpent-ness of his arms. Considering he is probably the stupidest-looking Spider-Man villian I found this to be a particularly excellent take on the character.

There wasn't a single thing I disliked about the film. I felt Peter's pain, I truly felt for him and was so glad he got his shit together, kicked ass and got the girl. I think applauding at a movie screen is the stupidest thing a rational person can do but I felt like doing it at the end of this film.

Kudos and applause to everyone involved. It could not have been better. Bring on part 3!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.