Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the movie overall.

Although I did feel the movie centered around Spidey while Doc Oct was more of a side story. I guess that makes sense. Its a superhero movie instead of a comic book movie.

I'm not too hyped about Harry coming back as Hob / Green Goblin in Part 3. It just seems kinda boring to have a very similar villian in both Parts 1 and 3.

Doc Oct's arms made the special effects and fight scenes much more fun to watch. Spidey could fight Doc Oct up and down walls while against the Green Goblin they either just punch each other or fly around together.

I know pure Spidey fanboi's will hate me for this, but perhaps JJ's son could go to space and bring back the Venom symboite or Dr. Connors could turn into the Lizard for part 3. Personally I think either of these would make better villians than Hob Goblin.
Old 07-01-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Excellent movie all around. I won't go into why I liked it so much because so many others have covered it perfectly.

Many have come to the conclusion that Harry "the alcoholic" Osbourne will be the villian in Spidey 3. That works great because we know that he wants to kill Spidey and we know he knows that Peter is Spidey and he knows that MJ is with Peter. We also know that Harry cares for MJ too so that will work good in Spidey 3 when he tries to kill her.

However, another view of the Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin scene was brought to my attention after the movie: Harry didn't know that his dad was the Green Goblin, he just knew that Spiderman killed his father. Maybe the scene with him in that room was there to show Harry that his father was the Green Goblin and that Spider-man had to do what he did. So maybe Harry won't be the villian and his storyline of hating Spider-Man is over.
Old 07-01-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the most part, if you think Green Goblin (Hobgoblin is NOT harry) then you will be barking up the wrong tree. The reason green goblin was the only villian in the first was because it took a while to set up him as the baddy. they don't need to do that for the third. they can focus on another villians origin (lizard most likely) and have green gob as a side villian or something.

I am willing to bet that it will be Green goblin/Lizard combo.

again, HOB GOBLIN IS NOT HARRY! sheesh.

Harry that his father was the Green Goblin and that Spider-man had to do what he did. So maybe Harry won't be the villian and his storyline of hating Spider-Man is over.
I wouldn't count on that.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 07-01-04 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-01-04, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hobgoblin in the comics was always one of the coolest villains, in my opinion. He had a menace and unpredictability that neither Green Goblin really had. I wonder how good Franco will be in a costume like that.

And in the comic, Harry was never The Hobgoblin, but I think they may make him the Hobgoblin to not confuse the audience. It would be confusing to have two Green Goblins, and secondly, it would be even more confusing in a future sequel if some other guy showed up who looks just like the Green Goblin, except he's brown.

I don't know why everyone has a hard-on for The Lizard. He's a big, stupid brute when he's The Lizard. He's basically a low-grade Hulk. And considering how much everyone hated The Hulk, I don't know why they're clambering for The Lizard. I'm telling you, bring on Puma.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-01-04 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-01-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hobgoblin was a preacher more then anything.

Harry was always doubting himself and his mentality wasn't stable enough to be a good green goblin so he would be fighting with his sanity through the majority of the time.

infact, the point that he would be green goblin would be good because in the comics spidey was confused and did infact think that daddy came back from the dead somehow.

as for the lizard. they introduced the character so it makes the most sense to bring him in. Read the torment story line of Spiderman 1 through 5 of the McFarlane series and you will see how well the lizard can be in wrecking shit up. He's good for brute force. Goblin will be the mentality of it all.
Old 07-01-04, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Saw it today...thought it was "ok"

Hated being the only person in the theater laughing at some of the cameos/refs (Evil dead, etc)

I thought the film spent too much time reminding the audience of Peter Parker's struggle to function in society.

That whole aspect of the film is pretty reminiscent of the first 3 Batman films....
We're constantly reminded that Bruce:
- Has relationship issues
- His parents are dead
- Has feelings of self-doubt
- Has more relationship issues
- Reminds us once again that his parents are dead
- Has good friend that becomes enemy (Two-Face)
- Refuses to be Batman
- Reveals identity
- Finally learns to create a balance between himself and alter ego

Most of these details were already established in the first Spidey film (except of the identity thing). I really didn't need a second film to elaborate further.
you must have only seen the first 5 minutes. or watch a different a movie.
Old 07-01-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie, I hope Jameson's son goes back into space and brings back the Venom symbiote, but I'm doubting that. I want Venom damnit, he's the coolest villain by far.
Old 07-01-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lizard? Goblin Jr.? Venom? Feh.

I WANT HYDROMAN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-04, 05:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Was the reason Pete was losing his radioactiveness simple mental? or was it more than that?? I never fully understood that. I don't see how a mental block could take away his micro feelers to climb or even his webbing. Can someone please explain that a little more and if that was indeed explained and I missed that? Thanks.
Old 07-01-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I just saw the movie at a 12:15am showing and I came out feeling really good about this film. I laughed my ass off..."my back"... and I must admit I teared up like school girl during MANY scenes. The train scene was awesome. Al Molina was great and his tentacles were very well done.

I really didn't have a problem with the CGI because the film offered so much more. I mean you really felt for Peter and the other characters in way other Hero movies could never achieve.

I know this may be a strong statement but I have to say this may be one of the best movies I've seen in 5 years. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it again and buying the dvd is a given
Old 07-01-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Catch 21
I agree.
Old 07-01-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Hobgoblin was a preacher more then anything.

Harry was always doubting himself and his mentality wasn't stable enough to be a good green goblin so he would be fighting with his sanity through the majority of the time.

infact, the point that he would be green goblin would be good because in the comics spidey was confused and did infact think that daddy came back from the dead somehow.

as for the lizard. they introduced the character so it makes the most sense to bring him in. Read the torment story line of Spiderman 1 through 5 of the McFarlane series and you will see how well the lizard can be in wrecking shit up. He's good for brute force. Goblin will be the mentality of it all.

I can't remember didn't The Lizard know who Spiderman was or was that only in the cartoon? Didn't he also go back and forth between good Lizard bad lizard or was that the Scorpion.
Old 07-01-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
However, another view of the Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin scene was brought to my attention after the movie: Harry didn't know that his dad was the Green Goblin, he just knew that Spiderman killed his father. Maybe the scene with him in that room was there to show Harry that his father was the Green Goblin and that Spider-man had to do what he did. So maybe Harry won't be the villian and his storyline of hating Spider-Man is over.
Tell me if I'm wrong but when spiderman brought Norman back home in the first one he was wearing his green goblin outfit. So Harry knows. Either that or spidedrman changed Norman's dead body which is pretty creepy.
Old 07-01-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Was the reason Pete was losing his radioactiveness simple mental? or was it more than that?? I never fully understood that. I don't see how a mental block could take away his micro feelers to climb or even his webbing. Can someone please explain that a little more and if that was indeed explained and I missed that? Thanks.
This is what I wrote on page 1 of this thread:

"I didn't have a problem with Peter's power outage being mainly from a psychosomatic standpoint because in the past 2 years, he felt like Spider-Man was overtaking him completely, and he saw how he was losing out on the "normal" things that normal guys aspired to have/want, but his fear of those close to him being used by his enemies to get to him drove him into this psychological state that sabotaged his use of his powers, thus, he lost the will to be Spider-Man, and his powers sputtered on him."

Remember, Peter went to the doctor, and his diagnosis was that nothing was "wrong" with Peter physically, and that it was mainly in his head.

One of the main things they changed about Peter was his web-slinging capabilities in the film version because in the comics, Peter relied on web-shooters that he designed (since he is a brilliant scientist), and he'd only have a finite amount of webbing with him at any given time. In the film version, the webbing is biological, and he appeared to have an endless supply of webbing up until this film.

Last edited by Patman; 07-01-04 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-01-04, 07:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love this movie. I love it because it is about spiderman not the villian. I like doctor octopuss and he is used just enough. Too much green goblin last time. This movie is about peter parker/spiderman's life and it is fantastic. The romance/love story is what makes this film work. I know it was in the trailer but the scene in the restaurant broke my heart to see MJ 's reaction to peter saying he didn't love her. The final shot is heartbreaking as MJ realizes the danger to Peter and we the audience realize the danger she is in. Isn't time someone saved your life line was great. My only co mplaint was the comedy was a little too much. a joke or two too many. Much better thenthe first movie the special effects were vastly improved. better then x men movies even superman 1 and 2. and most of the batman movies. I still like tim burton"s batman for different reason, style and atmosphere but raimi has avoided the flaws of those movies by concentrating on parker/spiderman rather then the villian. bravo
Old 07-01-04, 07:48 AM

I thought the movie was really, really good (around an 8.5 or 9/10)
My all time favorite Spidey stories are Amazing 229-230 (Spidey vs. Juggernaut) Amazing 300 & 315-317 (the original Venom saga, which really parlayed just how good a character Venom was) and probably the top one, Spectacular Spiderman #200, which can easily be the basis for the 3rd movie. It deals with Harry as the Goblin and his redemption and has one of the most bittersweet conclusions ever. I agree with the poster who mentioned the "Torment" storyline, it was one of McFarlane's best (written at least).

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 07-01-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While this is pure speculation, does anyone think Harry might have actually been planning something for MJ's wedding that got foiled once she didn't show? Doubtful, since he most likely didn't have the time to do it. Just something about his face suggested he had a dastardly plan, but that's the way he always looks.
Old 07-01-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Tell me if I'm wrong but when spiderman brought Norman back home in the first one he was wearing his green goblin outfit. So Harry knows. Either that or spidedrman changed Norman's dead body which is pretty creepy.
Nope, at the end of the first movie, Spider-Man brought Norman back wrapped in a shroud or something, but you could see that he was topless. Remember Norman's last words to Peter? "Don't let Harry find out."
Old 07-01-04, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Catch 21
I disagree.

Or I was in the same theater as the original poster.

A good 30 minutes could have been chopped out of this movie.
Old 07-01-04, 08:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc

A good 30 minutes could have been chopped out of this movie.
I agree, at a good brisk 100min this would have been a fantastic film.
Old 07-01-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I absolutely loved this movie. It was even better than the first one which I loved as well.

Not to many ppl noticed it, but fan's of Chappelle's Show will notice that Ashy Larry (from the dice game skit) made a cameo right when the movie opened.

Since I live in NYC, I had a few gripes about how they portrayed NY. These are the only things that made me give this 3.5 stars instead of 4 stars. I actually live near where Joe's Pizza is and I don't think that they used the same pizzeria. I'm gonna have to walk the 4-5 blocks to get there and take a look.

It was nice seeing them film stuff like Union Square and the Flatiron Building (which is where I made my cameo appearance in Elf )

The above ground subway train was total BS. Manhattan doesn't have that at all. NYC only has above ground subways in Queens, Brooklyn & the Bronx. My roommate said that train was actually the L-Train from Chicago.

In regards to the unmasking, I'm pretty sure that in the comics that Doc Ock, MJ, and Harry all find out that Peter Parker is Spiderman (although Harry finds out after he becomes Green Goblin 2).

I thought that the CGI was a lot better in this one. Doc Ock's arms were very convincing.

The humor was also great. The elevator scene (someone told me that the guy was from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy which made it even funnier for me).

I can't wait to see this again and to get it on DVD.
Old 07-01-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved the ending!!! MJ just watching Spider-man taking off to save someone, just awesome. It kinda sets up the mood for Spidey 3....MJ dealing with the fact Peter is Spider-man.
Old 07-01-04, 10:10 AM
Banned

The elevator scene (someone told me that the guy was from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy which made it even funnier for me).
LOL

close.

Queer as folk. and Talk Soup.

Yah, that guy. Hal Sparks

Though I don't know why that would have made it funnier.
Old 07-01-04, 10:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
that would have been even more funny if Carson Kresley had been in the elevator, I could hear him saying, 'What a fabulous costume".
Old 07-01-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want Mysterio or the Shocker in Spidey 3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.