Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was up w/ that scene where the skinny girl gave him the cake? is she going to have a bigger role later on? that scene didn't seem to fit right.
Old 06-30-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Go get 'em Tiger."
Old 06-30-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
But, it had too much of a Smallville feel to me. I dont know, I guess woe is Peter Parker really got tiresome for me.
Funny you say that because the co-creators of Smallville shared writing credits with two others for this movie. I'd guess the whole first hour was more their work than the other two credited writers.

I thought it was a great drama/action movie.
Old 06-30-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I really liked it, but I wasn't really enamored with the scenes when Raimi went "Raimi." He chose to break it out a few times and its served in stark (and not so flattering) contrast to the rest of the scenes. It worked all right in the first movie because the whole movie had a hyper-reality feel to it, but this one had a much more grounded feel.

The surgery scene could have been played as a truely scary moment but instead it came off as cheese.

(But thats just my opinion)

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the movie.
Old 06-30-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess that I am in the minority here, but this did not blow me away. It was okay. I didn't dislike it. I don't feel the need to recommend it to anyone (not that everyone is not going to see it anyway). I thought that Dunst looked horrible in it. Out of ten, I would probably give it around a six. I don't see what all the raves are about...
Old 06-30-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I liked this much, much more than the first. I liked the constant struggle Peter had throughout the film. The special effects were cheesy just as in the first, but overall they did not distract from the film.

I'd say if Raimi keeps getting better and better at these flicks, you gotta keep throwing money at him to direct.
Old 06-30-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cought a matinee today, and while I think the film was technically great, I must admit that my mind wandered a few times as well...though I can't say exactly why.

I guess I'd give it an 8. I thought the action scenes were amazing, particularly the train fight, and the plot was tied together fairly skillfully. I thought the acting was good all around, with the possible exception of Dunst, who I'm fairly sure is a moron (based largely on her DVD commentary).

I liked the way they handled him hanging up the suit, particularly watching him walk away from the alley fight...loved Jonah Jameson...thought Doc Oc was handled perfectly, especially the redemption...the Harry storyline was presented better than I've seen it presented in any other medium...Go get em, Tiger was perfect.

However, I agree with whoever said that the MJ/Peter chemistry was not working until the last 20 minutes or so...and there was some distractingly goofy dialogue in there that didn't help.

I must admit that the whole "New Yorkers" scene on the train worked for me...got a little misty eyed. But I remember thinking at some point "Jeez, does anybody NOT know who spider-man is? He should just stop beating around the bush and do an infomercial!"

I'd definately recommend it, and I'll certainly buy the DVD. It rivals X-2 and the first Spider-man as my current favorite superhero flick.
Old 06-30-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts
Yeah I was really underwhelmed as well. It doesn't help to be so in love with the first film and have high expectations going in. It really doesn't help to start the whole thing off with the best opening credit sequence ever.

Things I thought were done well:

-The opening sequence
-Doc Occ though I always pictured him with an accent. Am I wrong or was he some sort of European in the comics?
-The fight scenes
-The humor
-The cameos (Though I don't know if Hal Sparks would be considered a cameo since hardly anyone knows who he is.)

Things that I thought they should have done differently:

-Kirsten Dunst's makeup
-Scene after scene that start with two characters saying each other's names("Peter," "MJ." "Aunt May," "Oh Peter.") and then has them blabbing for ten minutes while I wonder what Doc Occ is up to.
-The ending. I loved MJ going to Peter but please please please don't have Harry in the same costume. It was my only problem with the first film.
-The pacing of the last two thirds/second half.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 06-30-04 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the action scenes in spite of the unimpressive CGI.
Old 06-30-04, 11:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was very very impressed (I didn't particularily care for the first film), my only qualms were:

- the whole Doc Oc raising his arms in the air thingy - I kept on expecting him to do a Dr. Evil laugh 'wha ha ha ha'

- the film centered way to much on Spidey, Doc Oc was kind of like wallpaper.

- the Asian woman singing the Spiderman song - was that an homage to William Hung?

- Peter Parker looked way to many times like he was about to cry.

- the rhythm of the film, in terms of tone - comical, pathos, action, comical, pathos, action... it got kind of mechanical and predictable at times.

Last edited by Giles; 06-30-04 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Did anyone else notice that they never resolved Aunt May's eviction from the house? I figured Peter would find some way to save her place.
Old 06-30-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Did anyone else notice that they never resolved Aunt May's eviction from the house? I figured Peter would find some way to save her place.
I think that her getting an apartment WAS the resolution.
Old 06-30-04, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Toth
Sam Raimi did an absolutely terrible job. I mean all the parts were there, good action, decent acting, good premise, and Raimi somehow managed to butcher it. He did a much better job with the first one where he shot for the realm of fun popcorn flick, but this time his repeated attempts for drama simply turned into extreme melodrama.

The film had no rhythm or pacing whatsoever. He either drug his feet in some scenes just to grind his emotions into the viewer, or he sped through things he didn't want to bother with(aka doc oc). I was so freaking bored by the end I just wanted to go to bed and go to sleep.

Look as I said the basic premise was good... spidey coming to grips with being spiderman. But I really didn't need to spend about hour seeing him get crapped on to get there. Nor did I think the scenes between him and MJ early on were smooth at all... they seemed jilted as hell, and to be honest something was very wrong with the beautiful Ms. Durst. They didn't seem to tell her what they wanted(or maybe she couldn't do it), and she just came off as scatterbrained. Add on to that fact the embarrasing makeup job someone did on her(Guess slightly round women can't be adults... better throw on more makeup until she looks like shes thin(and dead)), and I felt that nothing really developed between them in the movie until the last scene. In fact nothing really happened in the first hour and a half in the movie. I had that feeling so badly, that the last scene lost most of its effect.... even though it should have been so right. Welcome to bad directing I guess. The movie felt like a patchwork put together with no though of the overall picture.

Overall the movie just needed serious editing.... or perhaps more particularly a director who has some idea of what movie pacing is. The action more than made up for it though... however the fact that it was daylight made the CG far more obvious for me. I could see the rubbery look and CGish outline at almost every moment.... which is sad because I so wanted to lose myself in those scenes. All the tricks spidey played while fighting Doc Oc were just beautiful. I especially liked where he chucked the part of the clock back up at him. However, I do have to add... why was the good doctor completely ignored? His back story made no sense, even for silly science, "But doctor... couldn't the arms take over your mind then?"; "Well sure thing, except for this tiny blue chip that could be ripped off at aaaaaaaannnnyyyyy moment." I mean his arms looked awesome, but as a character he was basically defunct.

Seriously seeing that movie made me sad. It had so much wasted potential.
What he said.

Just got home and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Not nearly as good as everyone was saying it was and I enjoyed the first one much more.

There was too much plot, not enough action and tobey can't act his way out of a paper bag. And now don't get me wrong...I love character depth and development but there was too much for one film. It seemed like this was a movie more about coping with being a super hero than actually fighting bad guys.

Sorry, just wanted a lot more and a lot less.
Old 06-30-04, 11:28 PM
Suspended

I just got back and thought it was awesome, easily the best film this year so far. And I hate sounding like a nerdy fanboy but Bruce Campbell was perfect

I guess now we know who the villan will be in part 3. I hope they don't try and introduce another and do a bad guy team up kinda thing like Batman returns.

There were a lot of really touching moments in this one too, like Peter & MJ at the end, aunt may's speech and uncle ben in the car and when peter told aunt may about when ben died, had my eyes moist

I liked how this one was more violent too, especially the operating room, that part was just scarey.

Man, what a great film. I'll be seeing it at least 1 more time while it's playing
Old 06-30-04, 11:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I watched the first Spider-Man again last night, to pump myself up for the new one, and I think it still holds up quite well. The effects are the biggest problem. However, the second still managed to trump the first. The action was clearly a cut above. I was gasping in some of the fight scenes, and I almost never do that.

The amount of humor was great. "He's a hero, he's a...THIEF! He stole my costume! He's a menace!"

To many other wonderful moments to quote. And I can't say at the moment if I like this one more than the first Superman. I'd have to watch them back to back on a big screen to really decide.
Old 06-30-04, 11:38 PM

I saw it at a midnight showing last night (a first for me) and I was not dissapointed. I loved the first Spider-Man and with the slick trailer, positive early reviews for number 2 I kind of had a hunch that it wouldn't dissapoint.

What I love about the Spider-Man movies is that they are not a 2 hr. action-fest, but about characters, true emotions and in authentic real situations. Sam Raimi does a surperb job at showing the difficulties of being Peter Parker; with trying to hold a job, not failing classes, having relationships with friends, (Harry) and above all, not being able to tell MJ how he really feels, all while being the hero Spider-Man. I love how the writers and Raimi seem to really care for the characters and story that they put them in, it's makes these movies superior to others like the X-Men movies IMHO.

For a HUGE commerical blockbuster movie, it's nice to see the it in such good hands (Raimi) and to be a well-crafted film that takes itself seriously, but not dead serious like The Hulk. Tobey Maguire who got acclaim for his work in Seabiscuit, I think is equally good here at making Peter Parker a more complex and well-rounded character with real emotion. Kirsten Dunst also is quite good at playing the girl that Parker obsesses over. It was nice to her to see all wet again in this movie, um anyways...great movie.

I will definitely see this film again, maybe even this weekend... ****/****
Old 06-30-04, 11:51 PM
Banned

I don't understand how anyone could call this an action-fest. It had 2 really good action sequences in the whole movie and that's about it.

It was mostly Peter dealing with the girl, his aunt, himself, etc...etc...
Old 07-01-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, one thing I hope they incorporate in the third film is
that a lot of the writers of the comics have Peter as a real wise
cracker while he's being Spider-man. To show him really enjoy
himself while he's beating on the baddies. In the comic he really
used it against Ock as Ock would get furious and become sloppy
while fighting.

Jason
Old 07-01-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yea - it would've been funny to have the secretary open one
of the Pizza's and have it totally scrambled in the box.

Jason
Old 07-01-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw it today...thought it was "ok"

Hated being the only person in the theater laughing at some of the cameos/refs (Evil dead, etc)

I thought the film spent too much time reminding the audience of Peter Parker's struggle to function in society.

That whole aspect of the film is pretty reminiscent of the first 3 Batman films....
We're constantly reminded that Bruce:
- Has relationship issues
- His parents are dead
- Has feelings of self-doubt
- Has more relationship issues
- Reminds us once again that his parents are dead
- Has good friend that becomes enemy (Two-Face)
- Refuses to be Batman
- Reveals identity
- Finally learns to create a balance between himself and alter ego

Most of these details were already established in the first Spidey film (except of the identity thing). I really didn't need a second film to elaborate further.
Old 07-01-04, 12:20 AM
Banned by request

But the crux of the character is that he has these problems. The comic book still deals with these same problems, even though Spidey's been around for 40 years.
Old 07-01-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
But the crux of the character is that he has these problems. The comic book still deals with these same problems, even though Spidey's been around for 40 years.
Yeah, I know....but the film spent a good hour reminding the audience of these problems. At least 30 of those minutes could have been trimmed or devoted to another group of characters.
Old 07-01-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would have been better if the wedding Pete had to stop in the end followed the comics more faithfully:

And where was John Jameson's moon rock ring, which would eventually turn him into Man Wolf? Gotta set something up for the fourth movie!
Old 07-01-04, 12:32 AM

I just saw it too, much better than the first one.
Old 07-01-04, 12:41 AM
Banned by request

I don't think Raimi is worried about setting up the fourth film, since he's only going to direct one more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.