Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Ursula, the skinny daughter of the landlord was played by Mageina Tovah also plays Glynis on "Joan of Arcadia"
That's where I recognize her from.

Kudos to whoever put together that opening credit sequence. The artwork was top-notch. One of the best sequences ever.
Old 07-07-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
That's where I recognize her from.

Kudos to whoever put together that opening credit sequence. The artwork was top-notch. One of the best sequences ever.
The artwork was done byAlex Ross.
Old 07-07-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mageina Tovar also had a nice part on "The Shield" this season in the episode titled "Bottom Bitch".
Old 07-07-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
The artwork was done byAlex Ross.
Thanks - the man is a BMF.

I want them to give more screen-time to Jameson's secretary in the next flick - did she play Bridges second wife in SEABISCUIT?

Never mind - Elizabeth Banks is the same woman. She's delicious.

Elizabeth Banks

Last edited by B.A.; 07-07-04 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
I've gotta disagree here. I actually like the themes that Elfman created for this trilogy. The Spider-Man theme, the Peter Parker theme, and the Peter/MJ romance theme. It's just too bad that the rest of the movie is kinda lackluster, but it gets the job done!
I really don't need to hear the same old stuff from Batman and Beetlejuice. Elfman needs to stop ripping himself off.

Superman has a recognizable theme. Batman does too. Indiana Jones has a recognizable theme. Spider-man does not. You can't honestly say that if you heard the score on the street, you'd instantly pick up that it was Spider-man.
Old 07-07-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
I really don't need to hear the same old stuff from Batman and Beetlejuice. Elfman needs to stop ripping himself off.

Superman has a recognizable theme. Batman does too. Indiana Jones has a recognizable theme. Spider-man does not. You can't honestly say that if you heard the score on the street, you'd instantly pick up that it was Spider-man.
Having seen the first movie multiple times, and the second... yes, i'd recognize it.
Old 07-07-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Upon multiple viewings, I see Spider-man but I hear rehashed Batman.
Old 07-07-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I basically agree with you, but I think in the case of Peter his name would be a bit well known. His face would not though unless the paper puts a small head shot of him next to his name

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
again with this. I don't see how people relate a photographer for a paper with his work like you guys say will happen to peter parker.

let me pick up today's L.A. Times..

Oh look, a dodgers picture by Robert Caplin! Surely I know what Robert Caplin looks like.. or for that matter ever cared since his name is soooo damn small in print on the paper.

We already figured out that the only one who related or asked peter about spidey and the pictures randomly on the street was the neighbor kid who spends a lot of time with aunt may. Now which proud parent figure doesn't yap their head off about the offsprings achievements, Especially after the subject matter saved their life? Other then J.J. and the staff at the daily B. It's not like Peter is billboarded as the one and only source of these pictures. All the industry knows is that he's the best at capturing spidey on film.

As other have stated the secret identity has been in the comics for years and years before it was revealed to someone. All that has to be compacted into a 2 hour film.

Not to mention if they didn't get his mask off people would say that it wasn't as emotionaly because you couldn't tell what reaction or look peter had on his face behind the mask. You needed to get that thing off to get some range of acting out of toby to show pain, shock and relief.
Old 07-07-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't honestly say that if you heard the score on the street, you'd instantly pick up that it was Spider-man.
Um, yes I can.
Old 07-07-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got into a friend's car around the time the first Spiderman came out and she had the score playing. I immediately asked her why she was playing the Batman score. Elfman does get repetitive.
Old 07-07-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was a huge amount of fun, I can't wait to see it again at a local Drive-In this coming weekend. After watching this one, I wished I was young enough to break out the Spidey toys and start playing with them. I actually caught myself looking up Mego Spiderman figures on ebay Damn, I may have to buy the video game.
Old 07-07-04, 02:24 PM
Cool New Member

Have they even made a profit yet? Wasn't the cost of production and advertisement around $240 million?
Old 07-07-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lstorm
Have they even made a profit yet? Wasn't the cost of production and advertisement around $240 million?
more proof of a bomb. tisk tisk tisk

I'm sure sony will triple the budget for Spidey 3 now.
Old 07-07-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stevek
Seriously though, there's a million nitpicks if you want to pick them out. Overall, I found these movies to be highly entertaining and in keeping with the spirit of the original material. Just a watch a few episodes of the 70s live action TV show and you'll have a new respect for these movies.
Yeah, you're probably right. Not that I didn't like the movies, I've loved both of em so far. I just never read any of the Spider-man comics, nor have I seen much of the older shows. My post was just something I was thinking about.
Old 07-07-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Upon multiple viewings, I see Spider-man but I hear rehashed Batman.
I gotta stand on this side of the fence. Tim Burton needs to retire. Spidey doesn't have a grand sweeping score that a superhero movie should. Not a single memorable theme. Blah. It is the only thing holding these movies back in my mind.
Old 07-07-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I gotta stand on this side of the fence. Tim Burton needs to retire. Spidey doesn't have a grand sweeping score that a superhero movie should. Not a single memorable theme. Blah. It is the only thing holding these movies back in my mind.
I think you mean Danny Elfman
Old 07-07-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
I basically agree with you, but I think in the case of Peter his name would be a bit well known. His face would not though unless the paper puts a small head shot of him next to his name
Didn't Peter tell JJJ that he wanted his Spider-Man photos not attributed to him? If he didn't in the movie, he at least did in the comics. Remember that when Green Goblin blasts into JJ's office in the first film, he asks who is taking the pictures, and JJ lies and says he doesn't know, that they come in the mail.

If Peter was getting a photo credit, the Green Goblin would have known who to go looking for.
Old 07-07-04, 07:55 PM

His name doesn't necessarily have to be in the paper. The kid lived next door to Aunt May. All she had to do was mention that Peter takes Spderman's pictures and the kid would be all over it.

Nit picking for the sake of nit picking isn't terrible productive because usually it's pointless.
Old 07-07-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
I think you mean Danny Elfman
D'oh! That is what I get for trying to type fast and post at work.
Old 07-08-04, 12:21 PM

I actually think the score is fine. Is it derivative? Sure... but as a few people have said... I'd certainly recognize it.

And anyway, no matter what someone composes as a theme for these movies... NOTHING will ever replace "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can..."

That has permanent brain burn!
Old 07-08-04, 09:15 PM

Loved this movie! It was about as close to perfect as you can get, and I thought they packed an amazing amount of action, romance, humor, drama, story, and even a somewhat epic feel into a 2-hour movie. I can't believe people found this to be too slow, I guess some just don't need or want an emotional core in their movies. This would have been a generic action film without the elements some of you have complained about.

The train scene was touching on so many levels, and may be one of my favorite movie sequences ever. That scene wouldn't have had the same emotional impact if Spidey had been masked. I am glad that some people know who Spiderman is - and that MJ and Spidey get together.

Anything I would change? I wasn't fond of the horror overtones in the surgery scene, didn't care for the cake lady, and agree that the score was really lackluster.

A plot question....I see many of you referring to the spider that bit Peter as radioactive. Wasn't it genetically altered/engineered? I don't recall it being radioactive. Did I miss something?

Last edited by jetflair; 07-08-04 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-08-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jetflair
A plot question....I see many of you referring to the spider that bit Peter as radioactive. Wasn't it genetically altered/engineered? I don't recall it being radioactive. Did I miss something?
While I don't remember how it was portrayed in the first movie, in the comic books it was a radioactive spider. Almost everything I have read or seen about Spidey had it a radioactive spider that bit him in the beginning. But then again, I guess they could have changed that for the first movie, I just don't remember.
Old 07-08-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
In the movie it's genetic engineering, not radiation.
Old 07-09-04, 09:16 AM

Can somebody tell me which character is Dr. Connors?

I keep hearing references that there was Dr. Connors in the movie, and that he had one arm, but I don't remember seeing any characters in the movies with one arm.
Old 07-09-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Ted The Bug
Can somebody tell me which character is Dr. Connors?

I keep hearing references that there was Dr. Connors in the movie, and that he had one arm, but I don't remember seeing any characters in the movies with one arm.
Peter Parker's teacher, whose class he was late for

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.