Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
stop getting your facts wrong. it's not a random kid on the street, it's the neighbor's kid who is helping aunt may. there is a difference.
YOU might want to get your facts straight before you take that tone with me. While the neighbor kid does have a scene, there is also another scene on the street where there is a crime being committed and a kid asks him about Spiderman. This is the random kid I have been talking about.
Old 07-05-04, 12:59 AM

Saw it tonight. I thought it was amazing.

Spiderman/Peter Parker is an incredibly compelling character. The movie/comic is not about how he beats up people, it's about how he lives his life and deals with his own duality. Bruce Banner is Batman first. Ditto Superman and all the X-Men and so forth. Peter is merely a regular person who uses his gifts to help others.

You can't simply state that. It has to be shown otherwise his motivations wouldn't necessarily be accepted. This is why S2 is a great movie. His life was crap and he turned his back (literally in that one scene) on others. Why he did that and why he went back was great to watch.

It's a shame that watching things blow up is more interesting to folks than the character driven drama.

Oh well. I'm glad Raimi has taken the movies in the direction he has.

S3 will obviously have Harry as Green Goblin. I don't see how you can have all that setup and not do it. Plus, it's clear that Raimi wants this to be a story arc that ultimately comes down to Peter vs Harry as they showed the rise and fall of their relationship. Goblin might have looked cheesy, but who cares? He is what he is and he's a far more interesting villain as it's either Norman (a father figure) or Harry (a brother figure). Doc Ock was incredible, but in the end was just an acquaintance. I imagine that Goblin will get a new look and perhaps be called Hobgoblin for sake of having a different name.

BTW, the CGI was great. I don't see how anyone can think it was poor. Well, I can see because some people are just against it. Though, of course, many detractors of mainstream stuff like CGI and Spiderman do it for the sake of being contrary. More power to ya.
Old 07-05-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I'm curious how they took the operation scene. I still think it was waaay too intense for a younger audience. I don't have kids but I'm kinda curious.
They never were bothered by it. Since there was never any blood they assumed as I did that the staff was just unconcious. It was very loud, though, and I suspect that is what made the scene intense for some people. Luckily, we saw it in a theatre that didn't have the best sound system.

They have seen more blood in WWE matches than in that scene.
Old 07-05-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw it yesterday afternoon.

First off, there were only three previews. Good to get to the movie ASAP.

I liked the movie. There were some parts that bored me a little, but it was a pretty good movie overall. I'm not sure if it's better than the first movie. I was impressed by the sound effects.
Old 07-05-04, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by nchhabra
Hahaha. That is exactly what I was thinking. I saw him on his belly and looked over to see no ET tube and no MDA. Of course most times there is a surgery in movies or TV, they at most have a mask, even if they are operating on the head and neck. But nevertheless always makes me wonder.
I assumed they believed Molina was dead. Might be wrong, just what I thought. Not that I gave it a whole lotta thought.

If he was going to control the tentacles anyway, why did he bother imbuing them with artificial intelligence? A.I. that he had to protect himself from, on top of that. That part didnt seem too well thought out.
Old 07-05-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Originally posted by yecul

S3 will obviously have Harry as Green Goblin. I don't see how you can have all that setup and not do it. Plus, it's clear that Raimi wants this to be a story arc that ultimately comes down to Peter vs Harry as they showed the rise and fall of their relationship. Goblin might have looked cheesy, but who cares? He is what he is and he's a far more interesting villain as it's either Norman (a father figure) or Harry (a brother figure). Doc Ock was incredible, but in the end was just an acquaintance. I imagine that Goblin will get a new look and perhaps be called Hobgoblin for sake of having a different name.

is it obvious? What about John Jameson(2 possible stories from this guy)? What about Dr. Connors(Pete's teacher with the one arm). What about the director putting those in the movie and having a little bit of all of them go deal with? what about none of them?
Old 07-05-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cactusoly
as far as the people seeing his face on the train it's not a big deal because I din't think his idenity is in jeopardy for 2 reasons.

1) he saved the life of the people on the train and they were grateful and obviously ready to stick up for Spidey

2) I don't think anyone would recognize him anyway. Its not like Peter is famous or anything, he's pretty much an everyman (if people were to find out Bruce Wayne was Batman it would be a completely different story because of his status). There are a million people in NYC, if one of them saw Peter walking down the street they might do a double take but probably wont make the connection.
And 3) I think that Peter didn't care if they saw him. The only thing on his mind was saving their lives. His "secret identity" was far from his mind. Afterwards, I think he realized what he did.
Old 07-05-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
And 3) I think that Peter didn't care if they saw him. The only thing on his mind was saving their lives. His "secret identity" was far from his mind. Afterwards, I think he realized what he did.

4. after having seen Spider-man 2 for the second time he had to take the mask off because he was partially blinded when sparks hit the mask and it caught fire. This happened just before he jumped down in front of the train.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
4. after having seen Spider-man 2 for the second time he had to take the mask off because he was partially blinded when sparks hit the mask and it caught fire. This happened just before he jumped down in front of the train.
True! But that was really just a macguffin so that Tobey could emote the strain he was going through when stopping the train.

And yes, I think it is obvious that it will be GG v2 in SM3. Clearly this is the arc Raimi's story is taking. I hope they stick with one villain and don't team up two or more villains. This story doesn't need more characters, except perhaps another female foil to get between Peter and MJ. They already have a well developed villain for part 3.
Old 07-05-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I see. Like Natalie Portman's strategic shirt rip in ep II
Old 07-05-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

and I have to say this...for a thin girl with a big face and big cheekbones K Dunst looked really hot in this movie.

But ya'll knew that.....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-04 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by yecul
Bruce Banner is Batman first.
Woah, I bet that's a suprise to Alfred when Bruce gets all big and green and starts busting the hell out of the bat cave!
Old 07-05-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Woah, I bet that's a suprise to Alfred when Bruce gets all big and green and starts busting the hell out of the bat cave!

I was thinking the same thing when I read that statement.
Old 07-05-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
and how everyone had on some sort of safety glasses except the guy actually using the saw

Originally posted by nchhabra
Hahaha. That is exactly what I was thinking. I saw him on his belly and looked over to see no ET tube and no MDA. Of course most times there is a surgery in movies or TV, they at most have a mask, even if they are operating on the head and neck. But nevertheless always makes me wonder.
Old 07-05-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 746 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
This story doesn't need more characters, except perhaps another female foil to get between Peter and MJ.
Well, had they developed Betty Brant a little more, or the Landlord's daughter.
Old 07-05-04, 12:45 PM

Dammit! Total brain fart on my part. In my defense, it was 2 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rushmore223
If he was going to control the tentacles anyway, why did he bother imbuing them with artificial intelligence? A.I. that he had to protect himself from, on top of that. That part didnt seem too well thought out.
I think the idea is that he is manipulating a dangerous environment, and each tentacle must react at a moment's notice, something he could not control fast enough since he is also running the console controls. If each tentacle can react to his thoughts and yet think on its own, all the while interact with the brain and Doc Ock as a whole, he becomes a faster, more effecient machine. This power is really showed off first with the car outside the hospital. Doc Ock sees the car and knows he is in danger. The tentacles react to this for him and throw the car.

Somebody mentioned a random kid knowing Peter Parker as Spidey's photographer. I've seen this twice and can not place that happening, what scene is that?
Old 07-05-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by outer-edge
I think the idea is that he is manipulating a dangerous environment, and each tentacle must react at a moment's notice, something he could not control fast enough since he is also running the console controls. If each tentacle can react to his thoughts and yet think on its own, all the while interact with the brain and Doc Ock as a whole, he becomes a faster, more effecient machine. This power is really showed off first with the car outside the hospital. Doc Ock sees the car and knows he is in danger. The tentacles react to this for him and throw the car.

Somebody mentioned a random kid knowing Peter Parker as Spidey's photographer. I've seen this twice and can not place that happening, what scene is that?

actually it really showed off first when things went wrong in at the Press conference at the lab when part of the glass that killed Oc's wife was flying towards OC and the arms shielded him with lightning speed.
Old 07-05-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens when may is packing up and moving out of her house. the kid is helping her and ask where is spiderman.
Old 07-05-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
YOU might want to get your facts straight before you take that tone with me. While the neighbor kid does have a scene, there is also another scene on the street where there is a crime being committed and a kid asks him about Spiderman. This is the random kid I have been talking about.
Are you sure about that? I've only seen the film once and it was a couple days ago, but the only kids I remember in the film are the ones on the subway and his next-door neighbor kid that is helping Aunt May pack up.

I do remember the trailer showing it the way you describe though. In the trailer they show the fire, a paper showing crime shooting up and then the next-door neighbor kid asking him where Spidey is. Is that what you are thinking about?

Again, I could be totally wrong because it's been a couple days since I saw it, but I only remembered the one kid (and definitely not a random one) asking him about where Spidey is because he takes his photos. Anybody else have any input on this one?
Old 07-05-04, 02:30 PM
Banned

Score: 97 , Rating: 9.5/10

I thought the movie was superb. One great adventure. I liked the first one alot, but it does not even come close to #2. I feel it was almost perfect in every scene and every piece of dialogue. Great expierence.
Old 07-05-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by badger1997
Are you sure about that? I've only seen the film once and it was a couple days ago, but the only kids I remember in the film are the ones on the subway and his next-door neighbor kid that is helping Aunt May pack up.

I do remember the trailer showing it the way you describe though. In the trailer they show the fire, a paper showing crime shooting up and then the next-door neighbor kid asking him where Spidey is. Is that what you are thinking about?

Again, I could be totally wrong because it's been a couple days since I saw it, but I only remembered the one kid (and definitely not a random one) asking him about where Spidey is because he takes his photos. Anybody else have any input on this one?
the trailer is edited like that and it makes you believe it happens after the fire, but in the film it is during the scene when aunt may is packing up. the kids on the subway said something along the lines of don't worry, your secret is safe with us and it's glad to have him back.

he's only asked once where spiderman went to and that is indeed by the neighbor kid
Old 07-05-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rushmore223
I assumed they believed Molina was dead. Might be wrong, just what I thought. Not that I gave it a whole lotta thought.
I am pretty sure they thought he was alive. They were talking about doing a laminectomy and spinal fusion. I don't think there is an indication for that type of surgery on a dead person, but I am not a neurosurgeon. At least that is the impression I got.
Old 07-05-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the trailer is edited like that and it makes you believe it happens after the fire, but in the film it is during the scene when aunt may is packing up. the kids on the subway said something along the lines of don't worry, your secret is safe with us and it's glad to have him back.

he's only asked once where spiderman went to and that is indeed by the neighbor kid
I agree Jack. I saw it again last night and I think you're right. The kid with Aunt May led her into the "hero speech" because she was telling Peter how much the kid looked up to Spider-man. The kids in the Subway said what you posted above and that was it.

Also, the kid asking where Spider-man was was a neighbor from across the street and NOT some random kid. Both Aunt May AND Peter knew him because Peter was shocked by how much he grew in 2 years. He had a name but I forgot what it was.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-05-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Okay....a case of dyslexia here.

Seriously though, Harry pretty much used his dad's costume in the comics, and I see no reason for him to change it. I would love to see a more bad a$$ glider though.
oh.

i never read the comics.

carry on then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.