Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War and Remembrance

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

War and Remembrance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my War and Remembrance sets from Digital Eyes. I spot checked them and they appear to be perfect.

Thanks Caricature80 for informing me of these.
Old 08-31-04, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great news Movielib. Believe it or not, I'm still finishing up watching my set. I've been watching the entire miniseries including Winds of War slowly but surely since May!!

It really is a gripping miniseries, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end too. As you start watching it, as well as anybody else, post on here your thoughts about it as you progress through it. There are many very unforgettable moments, and I'd love to get a discussion started, since so few people have seen or even know about this miniseries.
Old 08-31-04, 05:02 PM

I love both the WoW and WAR...my fav mini series. I was 17 when WOW came out in 83 and after that I read all the books. I have been hooked ever since. Nice to see others that loved these mini series as well.

I am still partial to all the original lead characters though..like Mcgraw, Houseman and Vincent. Not that the others did badly..
Old 08-31-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Caricature80
That's great news Movielib. Believe it or not, I'm still finishing up watching my set. I've been watching the entire miniseries including Winds of War slowly but surely since May!!

It really is a gripping miniseries, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end too. As you start watching it, as well as anybody else, post on here your thoughts about it as you progress through it. There are many very unforgettable moments, and I'd love to get a discussion started, since so few people have seen or even know about this miniseries.
I watched it all (WoW and WaR) when they were first on TV. I know they are two of the best all-time miniseries. I remember they split up WaR into the two parts which were shown several months apart, IIRC. What I remember most is the portrayal of the holocaust which was probably at least as good as it was in the Holocaust miniseries (which I would also love to have on DVD).

BTW, after seeing the miniseries, I also read The Winds of War and War and Remembrance. Very much worth it.

I don't know when I'll get around to the DVDs.

Last edited by movielib; 08-31-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: War and Remembrance

Originally posted by Caricature80
The complete movie with both miniseries is over 40 hours long! Talk about time commitment.
You think that's long, try reading the book War and Remembrance! (It's over 1000 pages long.) I had to read it for a history class years ago - easy read, being basically a soap opera and all - and then I later watched the miniseries. The miniseries is a good adaptation but left out my favorite part of the book - a translation of some fictitous German general's memoirs that was interspersed throughout to give a German side to things.

I don't know if the networks could do miniseries like this anymore. The cost of producing anything really skyrocketed by the early '90s and with the network's declining audience share, such massive, expensive miniseries would probably lose money big time.
Old 08-31-04, 09:30 PM

flyboy, I agree that the originals you listed did a fine job, however I've found John Gilguid's Aaron Jastrow to be my most favorite out of the entire WOW and WR. I also thought Ali McGraw and Jan Michael Vincent were too old in their roles, but did do a good job.

movielib, I agree about the depiction of the holocaust being the most memorable aspect of the miniseries. It is just shown in such gut-wrenching detail and really brings you into the moment. I've always been supportive of tv productions and was glad to know that the producer/director was given full control of the censors in order to bring his vision to the screen. That way it could have the quality of a big screen movie. I'd love to see that Holocaust miniseries that you mentioned as well.

dhmac, I'm sure I'll find myself reading the books one day to find out all the things that had to be left out in the miniseries. Thanks for that bit of info too. Perhaps one day the miniseries format will return. As for now, (which I've posted before on this board), we're left to low budget reality shows to keep audiences coming back night after night. The networks are making a killing off of them.

For those of you who have seen the entire miniseries including WOW, which Hitler do you prefer?
Old 08-31-04, 11:06 PM

Oh by far the Hitler in WAR....
Old 09-01-04, 04:42 PM

I agree flyboy, although there was something truly evil about the first actor's portrayal in WOW, although it borderlined cartoony.

By the way, an interesting bit of trivia. The actor playing Hitler in WOW is the guy who played Slugworth in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The second actor definately looked the part more, who coincidentally is Jewish.
Old 09-01-04, 04:46 PM

Ha! yep he was Victor Maitland in Beverly Hills Cop...but he sure did bury himself in that role..love the scene when he is totally going off and one of his General's tells him...you lost the war the minute you declared war on America...I wonder if the real Hitler thought so..ha.

Last edited by flyboy; 09-01-04 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 09:15 PM

I like that scene too flyboy. I also liked the scene where Hitler is watching filmed footage of the execution of his betrayers and laughing. How macabre.

I thought they guy who played Heinrich Himmler gave a particularly chilling performance in War and Remembrance as well. He looked just like him too.

There was also some German commander in W&R that had a similar role in the classic Star Wars movies, and I can't think of his name right now. I think his name in Star Wars was Admiral Piett.

I think I ended up liking a lot more of the secondary characters (even the historical figures) better than most of the main stars.
Old 09-04-04, 01:37 PM

I just finished watching War and Remembrance.

I thought it was really good and such a major accomplishment for television that must be seen to be believed.

I do wish they had given time to explaining Hiroshima more. It was tacked on at the end and mentioned literally in passing. Otherwise, a very solid series especially in the recreation of the Holocaust and all it's horror. I think it would make a good companion piece to a college course in WWII to be shown as the course progresses.