Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Gordon Green is selling out!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Gordon Green is selling out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bird Jenkins
Firstly, I think it's important to note that the Confederacy of Dunces project is dead in the water.

Soderbergh doesn't even have it on his plate anymore, and rumor has it David's looking to do something else now too. IMDB is just late on the draw taking it down.

Secondly, David is far from a sell-out. I know him personally, and I can tell you that he's a man of integrity. I'm personally looking forward to his next film, The Undertow, which he's already shot and should be coming out this Fall. It's a dark, southern tale starring Dermot Mulroney, Josh Lucas, and Jamie Bell, and could not be in any way perceived as a "sell out" film.

Also, David's kept himself busy shooting a series of anti-smoking public service announcements (the one where all the people are getting their heads shaved in Times Square, others). He's truly one of the most talented new directors we've got. You people are jumping the gun calling him a sell out.
Hmm, well, I kinda feel dumb now.
Old 06-27-04, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Orson Welles, not a sell out?
For your information, I knew Orson Welles personally, and he was no sell out. We're talking about a man who insisted on voicing the character of Unicron in TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE because he knew "some other hack would just screw it up."

LOL

Regarding your opinion on DGG...

I obviously disagree, but I agree with you that PTA is a very interesting young director.

Last edited by Bird Jenkins; 07-10-04 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
::Grabbing Flamethrower::

Granted, I have not seen Hard Eight, but Magnolia Terrible?!?!?!

::rubs eyes::

Yup, still says Magnolia is Terrible.

I'm just in dis-belief.

You just said this to piss people off, right?
Magnolia is one of the most overrated, overhyped, overpraised pieces of celluloid ever committed to film.

And I have loved each and every one of PTA's films except for that one.

A plethora of stylistic flourishes in search of a movie.
Old 06-28-04, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Also, David's kept himself busy shooting a series of anti-smoking public service announcements (the one where all the people are getting their heads shaved in Times Square, others). He's truly one of the most talented new directors we've got. You people are jumping the gun calling him a sell out.
Doesn't he smoke? Sounds like he's selling out his smoking friends for some quick cash, if you ask me.

Part of my disdain for Green is that I went to the North Carolina School of the Arts for a year, and we got almost daily emails or notices with some news clipping about David Gordon Green. They worship him like George Washington was the equivalent of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It got really old, considering that the best part of George Washington was easily the cinematography. We did have Tim Orr (the man responsible for the look of George Washington) come back to the school as a special guest, but then we had to watch the terrible Raising Victor Vargas. It also didn't help that so many students made films that felt exactly like George Washington in an attempt to impress the teachers. It's sad, really. No room for interesting ideas. Either make it like George Washington or make it like a generic Hollywood romance. If you try to do something different, look out. The dean actually stopped a teacher from showing Takashi Miike's Visitor Q to his fourth year class (a class comprised of people in their early twenties to early thirties), saying that anyone who watched the film would "go to hell."

I just don't see anything special about Green at all. I like many of his influences, but not his work itself.

Oh, and I do believe Magnolia is a truly terrible film. Every moment of genuine human emotion and pathos is countered by some false note, some over-the-top performance, or just plain bad writing. If the film had been cut in half, it may have been something. And that wasn't even why I put on my flame suit.
Old 06-28-04, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Popcorn Tree really got everything wrong here.

-Green is no longer making this movie.

-The book is a powerhouse, not some studio hack comedy

-If he did make the movie it would hardly be selling out.

-You admit that you're a PTA fan, yet you make no mention that many people wrongly considered it selling out when he made a film with Adam Sandler?
Old 06-28-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pants
Popcorn Tree really got everything wrong here.

-Green is no longer making this movie.

-The book is a powerhouse, not some studio hack comedy

-If he did make the movie it would hardly be selling out.

-You admit that you're a PTA fan, yet you make no mention that many people wrongly considered it selling out when he made a film with Adam Sandler?
Ok let me explain myself.

1. Imdb still states that he was working on this. That's where I got my info from.

2. I never heard of the book. But then again, I guess there are lots of books I haven't heard of.

3. I didn't think this sounded like something he would want to be doing. Thus collecting a large paycheck for mediocre film.

4. I'm a little bias towards that part because I'm one of the few people here who like Adam Sandler. Oh and Punch-Drunk Love was great.

So, maybe I was wrong on a few points. Let's discuss the merits of David Gordon Green as a filmmaker instead.
Old 06-28-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I dunno, I haven't really followed his work since Beverly Hills 90210 was taken off the air. Although I'll admire the fortitude of anyone who has to make-out with Tori Spelling in order to collect a paycheck.
Old 06-28-04, 10:27 PM
Banned by request

Old 06-29-04, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't he smoke? Sounds like he's selling out his smoking friends for some quick cash, if you ask me.

Part of my disdain for Green is that I went to the North Carolina School of the Arts for a year, and we got almost daily emails or notices with some news clipping about David Gordon Green. They worship him like George Washington was the equivalent of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It got really old, considering that the best part of George Washington was easily the cinematography. We did have Tim Orr (the man responsible for the look of George Washington) come back to the school as a special guest, but then we had to watch the terrible Raising Victor Vargas. It also didn't help that so many students made films that felt exactly like George Washington in an attempt to impress the teachers. It's sad, really. No room for interesting ideas. Either make it like George Washington or make it like a generic Hollywood romance. If you try to do something different, look out. The dean actually stopped a teacher from showing Takashi Miike's Visitor Q to his fourth year class (a class comprised of people in their early twenties to early thirties), saying that anyone who watched the film would "go to hell."

I just don't see anything special about Green at all. I like many of his influences, but not his work itself.
Yeah, that is annoying, but you should have seen that place before David made George Washington. People were kissing Gary Hawkins's ass like he was the second coming, and personally, I'd rather worship at the alter of David Green. There are always going to be copycats who imitate what has been successful in the past, but that's no reason to take it out on David, who, if nothing else, has managed to create a career for himself, on his own terms.

Dale Pollock is a great Dean when it comes to bringing in high profile guest speakers and putting NCSA in the public eye. However, his ability to connect with students is negligible and his taste in films is EXTREMELY questionable (see: BATS), at best.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with NCSA than David Green. Just remember that it's a young film program, and DGG is one of their only crown jewels at the moment. They deserve to be proud of him. What's unfortunate is that so many current students are making bad films, if what you're saying is true.
Old 06-29-04, 12:43 AM
Banned by request

I think at most film schools the majority of students will make bad films. It's almost inevitable. And it's true I don't like NCSA, but the reason I feel so disgruntled about their worship of DGG is because he doesn't deserve such praise, period. I've yet to see him do anything that entertains me, let alone turns my head because it's new, daring, original, or even something that's been done before, but just done extremely well. As of now I feel he's competent but no more interesting than any other director just starting out. Perhaps I don't connect with his aesthetic.

Somehow I thought you might have been an NCSA alum.
Old 06-29-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It was a confederacy of dunces that even suggested that Will Ferrell would've been good in this role.
Old 06-29-04, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
and... so... when is 'Undertow' getting released?
Old 06-30-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds like you have more of a problem with NCSA than David Green.
That was my initial thought too. You can't blame DGG for the reaction that people had at the school.

As for his talent, his films are beautiful. They are some of the most visually stunning pieces of cinema that I've seen in a long time. I also appreciate the realistic nature of the relationships that he puts in his films (particularly All The Real Girls), even if the style is a little raw. Of course, that relates more to his skill as a writer, than a director, but, it still shows talent.

In regards to A Confederacy Of Dunces, I'm kinda bummed that it's out. I was looking forward to seeing how DGG did with material that was not his own. I guess we'll just have to make due with Undertow and The Secret Life of Bees.
Old 07-01-04, 12:22 AM
Banned by request

talemyn, did you notice this post I made in response to the post you quoted?

And it's true I don't like NCSA, but the reason I feel so disgruntled about their worship of DGG is because he doesn't deserve such praise, period. I've yet to see him do anything that entertains me, let alone turns my head because it's new, daring, original, or even something that's been done before, but just done extremely well. As of now I feel he's competent but no more interesting than any other director just starting out. Perhaps I don't connect with his aesthetic.
Old 07-01-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

talemyn, did you notice this post I made in response to the post you quoted?
Yeah . . . I just didn't think it was good enough.
Old 07-01-04, 12:44 AM
Banned by request

You can't see it, but I'm giving you the finger.

He's just not impressive, especially for all the hype being flung at him. He has the potential to make a good movie, but hasn't made one yet.
Old 07-01-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't see it, but I'm giving you the finger.

He's just not impressive, especially for all the hype being flung at him. He has the potential to make a good movie, but hasn't made one yet.
Nice . . .

Well, I guess we'll just have disagree on that. I was impressed with GW and really pleased with ATRG. Again, both of them raw (although ATRG less so), but beautifully shot and very "real" to me.

If nothing else, do you dare to disagree with Sundance, Newport, and Criterion?
Old 07-01-04, 01:09 AM
Banned by request

Oh, they're all sellouts for praising him. Money-grubbing, no good film festivals and DVD companies.
Old 07-01-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was disappointed in 'All The Real Girls'. George Washington was great, I absolutely loved that film. But ATRG seemed like your run-of-the-mill indie flick.
Old 07-01-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, they're all sellouts for praising him. Money-grubbing, no good film festivals and DVD companies.
Ahhhhhh . . . this thread has been fun . . .