Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One quick question - did anyone get that Senator's number as it flashed up on the screen? I'm going to have to go back and be prepared for that
I can't find it now, but I read a news article from Google that said the man was receiving phone calls from people while they watched the film.

EDIT: I found it. link here.

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/nw_co...991450,00.html
Old 06-27-04, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lucasorion
would it have been more fair if he had also included a mother who who says "Yes it's too bad my son had to die, but it is worth it to me to know that the Ba'ath party is no longer in power in Iraq" ?

I do kind of agree with your point about how Moore isn't always (maybe even most of the time) successful at making a clear argument with the presented information. I have this lecture series by The Teaching Company called "Argumentation", which would come in very handy for him.

You don't even know what an arguement is! When you are debating/arguing a side, you would never be "Fair" to the other side. It weakens your own arguement.

Someone please argue this point!!! BUSH SAT THERE IN A CLASSROOM FOR ABOUT 7 MINUTES WHILE THE US WAS UNDER SIEGE!

Did that not happen? Was that STAGED?!?!?
Old 06-27-04, 12:42 PM

I saw it yesterday...I loved it and give it an A+. The only other movie this year I rate an A+ is Passion of the Christ. I highly recommend Fahrenheit 9/11 to all Democrats and undecided voters!!!

If you want to watch the last scene again visit:
Fool Bush
Old 06-27-04, 01:27 PM

I knew much of the info long before going to see this film.

Seeing the facts unfold in front of our eyes, Bush sitting in the classroom with a lost look on his face and taking no action, The money grubbers conspiring to make profits off the backs of dead soldiers and citizens, the protections the Saudi's garner from even the secret service. Seeing all this somehow makes so much more of an impact than just knowing the cold hard facts.

Not to mention the dead Iraqi civillians and the mother desperately wishing she had never encouraged her son to join the military.

It all did what it was meant to and should do, make those of us in the theaters sick to our stomachs.

There must have been 2 or 3 minutes of applause in the theater once the credits came up, deservedly so.

My wish is that this film would make more people aware and critical of the things that happen in their own country, make them take notice where they had not before, but honestly, I doubt it will.

If it mobilizes more people to vote Bush out of office than I will be happy.
Old 06-27-04, 02:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
SOMEBODY MERGE THESE GOD DAMN THREADS ALREADY!! ALL THESE 9/11'S ARE SO FREGGING ANNOYING. THERE ARE OTHER MOVIES AND LIFE OUT THERE!!!!
Old 06-27-04, 02:32 PM

SO GO START A DIFFERENT THREAD AND GET A LIFE!

7 MINUTES!!

.. Now watch this drive
Old 06-27-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott1598
SOMEBODY MERGE THESE GOD DAMN THREADS ALREADY!! ALL THESE 9/11'S ARE SO FREGGING ANNOYING. THERE ARE OTHER MOVIES AND LIFE OUT THERE!!!!
My my my....the natives are getting restless.
Old 06-27-04, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by tonytapez so it turns out the bin ladens left 10 days after the attacks. how does that compare to what is implied in the film?
The film clearly says the flights left on September 13th, when airspace was being reopened, with needed approval from the White House.

Last edited by angryyoungman; 06-27-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
How do you know that they weren't questioned? They didn't leave the US until September 13th at the very earliest, probably later. I'm sure the government must have asked at least a few questions.
I'm repeating myself again, but the film says that some of the family members (and other Saudi nationals who were not bin Laden family members) were questioned. This is a matter of public record. The film then expresses an opinion that the questioning and investigation, despite the FBI's conclusion that no further investigation is needed, was simply not enough.
Old 06-27-04, 03:21 PM
MrN

I for one am glad this thread hasn't totally devolved into a shouting match over the weekend - I'm guessing MM winning some kind of moral victory with the film being #1 has something to do with it.

Yet, its funny how the opinions are so diverse here - everything from "he showed too much" to "he's not showing enough" and "this stuff is obvious" to "he didn't show this other widely reported stuff."
Old 06-27-04, 04:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I just got backed and thought it was good.

I've never been a big fan of Moore's style so I thought the first half where he is just narrating was much stronger then the second half.

The Bonanza spoof was funny though

The biggest laugh in the theater was during the trailers when they showed one for a documentary on Metallica and the guy behind me yelled out "I'll just download it".
Old 06-27-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

would it have been more fair if he had also included a mother who who says "Yes it's too bad my son had to die, but it is worth it to me to know that the Ba'ath party is no longer in power in Iraq" ?
No I wouldn't have wanted to see that. I do think however that parents sad about losing their children is implied. We know she is very sad. We didn't need two or more scenes of her breaking down into tears. It just wasnt necessary. I just found it manipulative.
Old 06-27-04, 05:31 PM

No I wouldn't have wanted to see that. I do think however that parents sad about losing their children is implied. We know she is very sad. We didn't need two or more scenes of her breaking down into tears. It just wasnt necessary. I just found it manipulative.
How often have you seen footage of grieving mothers and widows, etc. in the last year? I remember seeing a widow on 60 minutes or 60 minutes II a few months back, but it seems like it has been pretty sparse. I think it is important to see the effect for real, even if we intellectually know that 850 dead soldiers means thousands of grieving loved ones.
Old 06-27-04, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by MBoyd
I can't find it now, but I read a news article from Google that said the man was receiving phone calls from people while they watched the film.

EDIT: I found it. link here.

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/nw_co...991450,00.html
Thanks, that's an interesting article. I figured people would start cell-phoning in right away, but I imagine he's gotten some tougher questions than the article infers.

Anyway, the article doesn't include the number, so I'm still asking for it if anyone happens to get it from the film.

As far as the Saudi flights are concerned, from all I know, Moore is telling the truth about them, but it is wrong to infer that they left the country before the 14th. They did fly on the 13th to go collect people from various airports, and Moore admittedly doesn't go into detail on when and where the planes went as they left the country. but I don't think he has to to condemn the Bush-Saudi ties. I think "Bandar-Bush." does that effectively enough.

As for the Flint woman - she was a golden find for Moore. I didn't at any point feel she was manipulative or phony, but she was crucial for Moore's emotional argument to make sense. I like More's point that there are people grieving and angry on both sides, condemning the war for destroying lives and families, recklessly and without great benefit for either country - but with great benefit for the wealthiest members of each society. I can see why RyoHazuki can feel clobbered seeing the woman sobbing in front of the White House. It is nakedly emotional, and heart-wrenching. But I disagree that we didn't need to see it. I think it has been far too easy to gloss over or glance by the tremendous cost of this war in lives. Remember, the CPA in Iraq ordered the stop of counting Iraqi casualties, probably at the behest of the American government. Loss of life cannot be overemphasized in war. I was very glad to see the focus Moore put on this family's experience - particularly because they so strongly represented America. It was a tad manipulative, yes. But it was tremendously thought-provoking, which was the point. If you've thought about this already, you are far removed from the average American, Moore's audience.

De daa wo jeeri.
Old 06-27-04, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by MadPervert
You don't even know what an arguement is! When you are debating/arguing a side, you would never be "Fair" to the other side. It weakens your own arguement.

Someone please argue this point!!! BUSH SAT THERE IN A CLASSROOM FOR ABOUT 7 MINUTES WHILE THE US WAS UNDER SIEGE!

Did that not happen? Was that STAGED?!?!?
You should go back and read my posts, I am generally probably on your "side" - I was pretty amazed watching those 7 minutes too. The administration wanted to project the image that he was an immediate tower of strength and resolve, and that footage sort of undercuts that. My point about Moore's ability to clearly and concisely present an argument is that he jumps around between different theses and issues and doesn't lay out, 1-2-3, the points leading up to an irrefutable conclusion like a good debater presenting his argument would. I think it has to do with his emotional involvement and perhaps his educational background. He presents compelling information and footage, but the ability to tie it into a presentation that gives serious food-for-thought to a broad spectrum of Americans is not there. I hope he at least has helped to shatter this mythology that Bush was and is such a strong and effective protector, this John Wayne daddy figure (was John Wayne ever a head cheerleader at an exclusive prep school?) that a lot of people apparently needed after 9/11 - we need to be safe much more than we need to feel safe.
Old 06-27-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How often have you seen footage of grieving mothers and widows, etc. in the last year? I remember seeing a widow on 60 minutes or 60 minutes II a few months back, but it seems like it has been pretty sparse. I think it is important to see the effect for real, even if we intellectually know that 850 dead soldiers means thousands of grieving loved ones.
I felt that the movie used the crying mother to get you on the anti-Bush side when the reality is that people die in every war.
Old 06-27-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I felt that the movie used the crying mother to get you on the anti-Bush side when the reality is that people die in every war.
I thought it was refering to the fact that her child died in "this war" in Iraq, which was started under false pretenses.

Of course people die in every war, but this war did not "need" to happen.

That's the point I think the film was trying to make.
Old 06-27-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I thought it was refering to the fact that her child died in "this war" in Iraq, which was started under false pretenses.

Of course people die in every war, but this war did not "need" to happen.

That's the point I think the film was trying to make.
I do agree that the point the film was trying to make. However showing multiple scenes of this woman crying was, I thought, manipulative. I wouldn't have minded seeing it once but it went on too long.
Old 06-27-04, 06:43 PM

I do agree that the point the film was trying to make. However showing multiple scenes of this woman crying was, I thought, manipulative. I wouldn't have minded seeing it once but it went on too long.
I think the second scene with her at the White House was there to show her express her anger with the administration over the death of her son. IIRC she didn't start crying until that dumb bitch came up to her and told her that "Lots of people have died". WTF was that lady thinking?
Old 06-27-04, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Abranut
I think the second scene with her at the White House was there to show her express her anger with the administration over the death of her son. IIRC she didn't start crying until that dumb bitch came up to her and told her that "Lots of people have died". WTF was that lady thinking?
She wasnt thinking, so many in this country have forgotten how to think for themselves.

Her remark was the height of callousness, something that has become a real problem in this country, as great a place as this is.

At least we all still have the "freedom" to see a movie like this, that speaks out so loudly against this corrupt administration.
Old 06-27-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
just got back from seeing this in Asheville, NC and loved it. The audience was very enthused and there was a very connected feeling in the theater. Lots of laughter, some gasps, and pleanty of applause at the end.

Overall....grade A
Old 06-27-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No offense but DUH. Thats just it. PEOPLE die. Nameless and faceless people.
Old 06-27-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We just got back. We went to the 3rd screening of the day. The line wrapped around the block. We got there an hour early.

My biggest feeling afterwards is anger. I cannot begin to tell you how angry the film made me feel. Powell and Rice in 2001 stating that Iraq was no threat did it to me. And Bush's non-interest in Bin Ladin.

The film ran the gamut. Laughs, cries, and anger.
Old 06-27-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ent...+on+a+mission+

Michael Moore was interviewed by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, obviously in the swing state of Missouri, the day after Detroit won the NBA Championship.

above is the link to that interview
Old 06-27-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by angryyoungman
I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. On the first part I quoted (and I obviously cut some things out), I don't think any one film could accomplish the task you're suggesting. If people start to debate, question and seek out more information about the wide range of issues raised in the film (whether they agree or disagree with his views) hasn't he accomplished something important?

In his coverage of the Patriot Act, I got the impression that he was driving at the same theme he explored in Bowling for Columbine, the power of fear, and how that allowed something like the Patriot Act to pass. That's just my view.

In terms of the 9/11 blackout vs. the startling war images, my friends and I were discussing this after the movie as well. They tended to agree with you. My argument was that we've seen the images of the planes hitting the towers so many times at this point that we can visualize the entire thing in our minds. I think its fair to say that Moore certainly sympathizes with those who suffered on 9/11, considering he lost a friend and his outspoken support of September 11th Families For Peaceful Tomorrows. Based on that, I don't see why he wouldn't want people to feel the emotion of 9/11. Whether he did that or not is a matter of debate.

I thought it was very emotional to hear the sounds instead and then see the reactions of those affected instead of seeing images that we've seen countless times before. I think that was just as powerful and sad. On the other hand, I don't think most of us had seen that footage of the war, and for some it might evoke the same emotions. I believe it was effective, but I see your point.
I am confident that Michael Moore accomplished what he set out to accomplish with this movie. I just wish he had used this forum with all the attention it got to use this movie to just show more than the government and those in power make money and often make money in questionable ways (this is so not a new revelation) and using it to evoke raw emotional responses from people. Like I said before, this movie played its audience like a piano and from the looks of it, most of you had the works of Motzart played all over you while you watched this.

Moore really failed to go into why the government wanted to get the people to fear to such an extent that they would allow the Patriot Act to be passed without any questions. Why did the government want to take away our rights? To make more money for Chaney? Hardly. But Moore doesn't really delve into this, does he? Instead we get footage of blithering mothers over the deaths of their children. And the piano music plays.

And I would not expect Moore to show us the same 9-11 footage that has been shown upteen times on the news. He should have shown the raw and uncensored images they would not broadcast, of the death and destruction and what really took place. Interviewing some random people who lost loved ones that day still made them faceless victims. Those of you who felt emotion during those blacked out moments recalled what you remembered from the media, not from what actually happened. If Moore had played the sounds of the bombing of Iraq, we would have simply recalled what images the news media wanted us to see. Instead, he showed us images the news media would not allow us to see, images that evoked strong emotional responses. If he showed us images of 9-11 the media didn't choose to show us, what emotions would have those evoked? Emotions, perhaps, of anger against those who we perceived as being responsible for the attacks? Perhaps emotions of anger against the very people Moore wants us to wind up feeling sorry for towards the end of the movie? He wants us to draw into the humanity of those on foriegn soil who would just as soon arm their own children and women to kill American soldiers while blacking out images of provoked us to defend our land in the first place.

And why did Bush continue sitting in that classroom? Why didn't he respond sooner? The question really goes unanswered, but Alex Jones knows the answer. It's an answer Michael Moore refused to touch on in his movie and an answer that would have made this movie perhaps a tad harder for a mass audience to swallow. But Michael Moore really set out to make a propeganda film to support Kerry and succeded just fine at that, and isn't that what is important here?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.