Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

9/11 Review from DVD Talk - Pure Genius...Er I Mean Trash

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

9/11 Review from DVD Talk - Pure Genius...Er I Mean Trash

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dick_grayson
Yes! The way stealing the election in 2000 did for Bush?
wow, big can of worms that we wont get into.

Someone seems like a sore loser though?
Old 06-23-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by RockStrongo
I do not have a problem with people speaking out against Bush or anyone.

I do have a problem with Moore making these accusations without fully backing them with facts. It seems slanderous to me.

He has become what he says he despises.

I highly doubt this will have a positive affect on the election in Nov.

Originally posted by Chrisedge
What the movie says is this: "It turns out that the White House approved planes to pick up the bin Ladens and numerous other Saudis. At least six private jets and nearly two dozen commercial planes carried the Saudis and the bin Ladens out of the U.S. after September 13th. In all, 142 Saudis, including 24 members of the bin Laden family, were allowed to leave the country."

These facts are based entirely on the findings contained in the 9/11 commission draft report, which states, "After the airspace reopened, six chartered flights with 142 people, mostly Saudi Arabian nationals, departed from the United States between September 14 and 24. One flight, the so-called Bin Ladin flight, departed the United States on September 20 with 26 passengers, most of them relatives of Usama Bin Ladin." National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, Threats and Responses in 2001, Staff Statement No. 10, The Saudi Flights, p. 12;
Seems he got facts from the above report. Did you miss my original post?
Old 06-23-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chanster, just a question. Have you ever posted anything on here, either liking anything MM has done, or any positive thing about him, OR anything negative about Bush?
Yes, No, Yes
Old 06-23-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"After the airspace reopened, six chartered flights with 142 people, mostly Saudi Arabian nationals, departed from the United States between September 14 and 24. One flight, the so-called Bin Ladin flight, departed the United States on September 20 with 26 passengers, most of them relatives of Usama Bin Ladin." National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, Threats and Responses in 2001, Staff Statement No. 10, The Saudi Flights, p. 12;
So whats the point of this fact? That planes left the United States after airspace re-opened? Can people not leave the United States? The report does not mention the White House approving those flights, Michael Moore does
Old 06-23-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wrong. If his facts were supported, then he could easily answer questions that the press throws at him.

For example....

STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, wait. But what wasn't true? Because it says here in the 9/11 commission report that these flights didn't take off until after the airspace reopened. That is true, correct?

MOORE: No, they were on charter flights. Once the airspace opened for commercial flights, they hadn't opened for the charter flights. And so the charter flights that picked up the bin Ladens around the country, that went to the various cities — this was all assisted by the White House, which really should be the real focus of this.

Moore alluded that these people flew before the airspace reopened. Even GK said it in his review!!!
The first of the flights were on Sept 13, at a time when the vast majority of the public could not get on a commerical airline. Moore is right, there should be a different focus, instead the right tries to pick everylittlething apart to discredit the whole movie. Same thing they did with BFC.
Old 06-23-04, 12:47 PM

Seems he got facts from the above report. Did you miss my original post?
I guess I do not understand your point.

His movie makes people think that they left while airspace was closed. It is misleading. Read GK's review.
Old 06-23-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow, big can of worms that we wont get into.

Someone seems like a sore loser though?
not for long! Actually it was just a joke, but it's funny how these threads flare up into out of control rhetoric. It's a fun little ride.
Old 06-23-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
So whats the point of this fact? That planes left the United States after airspace re-opened? Can people not leave the United States? The report does not mention the White House approving those flights, Michael Moore does
That's up to the viewer to decide. You might that it as a "So what"? Other folks may take it as "That's fishy"
Old 06-23-04, 12:54 PM

That's up to the viewer to decide. You might that it as a "So what"? Other folks may take it as "That's fishy"
BUT, statements like 'Even Ricky Martin couldn't fly' are just false!

They lead the viewer to believe that the airspace was closed when in fact, it wasn't.

There is no leaving it up to the viewer to decide. If so, then he would have included a statement about the 9/11 commission's finding that these flights happened after airspace was reopened.
Old 06-23-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first of the flights were on Sept 13, at a time when the vast majority of the public could not get on a commerical airline. Moore is right, there should be a different focus, instead the right tries to pick everylittlething apart to discredit the whole movie. Same thing they did with BFC.
I hate quoting myself.
Old 06-23-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would rather hear the truth instead of Michael Moore's wild assertions.

I don't have to see the movie to get an "entry pass" into a debate about historical facts.
Wait a minute... you are (and have been for three pages of posts here) disputing the content of a film you haven't even seen (and apparently have no intention of seeing). Your basis for dispute seems to be second-hand accounts from other source "reviews" that may be as slanted and agenda-driven as you assert that the Kleinman review is. Your original thesis was that Mr. Kleinman's review was somehow promulgating as fact various "false" assertions contained within the film. The purpose of the film itself (as with any intellectual debate) is to propose a viewpoint and then support that viewpoint with evidence. Whether that evidence is compelling or seems accurate is, of course, up to the individual viewer to judge or test for him or herself.

Mr. Kleinman's review is - in my opinion - simply stating that he found the evidence presented by the film to be both convincing and compelling. This is the same process that occurs any time a critic renders an opinion. He or she may find elements of that work accomplish the artists intent, or that they do not. That is simply the process of criticism. Other viewers, with different perspectives, may have a different opionions and perspectives.

The bottom line is that any review is by its very nature simply a summary of the reviewer's opinions. It should not be incumbent on the reviewer to preface every other line of his review with the caveat that its simply his or her own opinion. That is a given.

And as for the quality or factuality of the underlying film, it seems to me that the opinion of someone who has actually seen the film (no matter his or her verdict) would carry much more weight than someone who is speculating about the message and content of the film based on what he or she has heard from other sources.

Last edited by Sex Fiend; 06-23-04 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your basis for dispute seems to be second-hand accounts from other source "reviews"
My sources are from Dick Clarke, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the September 11 Commission. They are not from other reviews.
Old 06-23-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mr. Kleinman's review is - in my opinion - simply stating that he found the evidence presented by the film to be both convincing and compelling.
Absolutely inaccurate

From the review by Geoff:

One of the biggest jaw dropping revelations in the film is the clearly documented, deep connections between the Bush and Bin Laden families. I know, it's hard to believe, but no one's making this stuff up!This connection between the two families runs so deep that while most commercial airlines were grounded after 9/11 (on 9/13) Bush ordered that members of the Bin Laden family (along with some other Saudi nationals) be flown out of the country. This happened without investigators having the opportunity to really question them or detain them. Mind blowing.
Old 06-23-04, 01:08 PM

I hate quoting myself.
You can quote yourself all you want, but he does not have proof that the planes left on 9/13.

The commission said that it was from 9/14.
Old 06-23-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is also interesting to note that Geoff has revised his review

commercial airlines were grounded after 9/11(on 9/13)
That was not in the original review. See my quote of the review on p.1 near the bottom.
Old 06-23-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the review by Geoff:

One of the biggest jaw dropping revelations in the film is the clearly documented, deep connections between the Bush and Bin Laden families. I know, it's hard to believe, but no one's making this stuff up!
Are you denying a connection?

When GK mentioned Bush approved the flights, you complained and said he didn't. When presented with the facts that MM states some one highup (whitehouse, Clarke, etc) approved the flights, you say "So What?"

Can't you question your Presidents involvement in possible wrong-doings?
Old 06-23-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I edited my post right after I posted this message to include the full paragraph..that "This connection between the two families runs so deep that while most commercial airlines were grounded after 9/11 ......"

I don't deny there was a connection, I do dispute this connection led to preferential treatment
Old 06-23-04, 01:13 PM

When GK mentioned Bush approved the flights, you complained and said he didn't. When presented with the facts that MM states some one highup (whitehouse, Clarke, etc) approved the flights, you say "So What?"

Can't you question your Presidents involvement in possible wrong-doings?
It is just interesting that noone has said that Bush approved it. Even Clarke who has been very critical of the Bush admin.
Old 06-23-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting title change.
Old 06-23-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can quote yourself all you want, but he does not have proof that the planes left on 9/13.

The commission said that it was from 9/14.
I stand corrected. I have not seen the movie, so I can't comment if Michael Moore mentions the 13th or the 14th. The Trailer says "Days After 9/11"

I still stand by my comment that most folks couldn't fly for about a week. I know many folks stranded after 5-6 days.
Old 06-23-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is just interesting that noone has said that Bush approved it. Even Clarke who has been very critical of the Bush admin.
Your right, no one (including MM) said Bush approved it. It is up to you, the viewer to decide what to think. Since Bush has been in bed with the Bin Ladens for years, I know what I think.
Old 06-23-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know many folks stranded after 5-6 days.
Most folks can't pay for charter flights. I'm sure the Saudi Arabian government paid for those flights (although I have no facts, but that seems probably the case)

Bu I do know if you wanted to pay big bucks, you could travel. That has nothing to do with Bush.
Old 06-23-04, 01:20 PM

I stand corrected. I have not seen the movie, so I can't comment if Michael Moore mentions the 13th or the 14th. The Trailer says "Days After 9/11"

I still stand by my comment that most folks couldn't fly for about a week. I know many folks stranded after 5-6 days.
I have not seen the movie either, but after reading articles and reviews, it sounds misleading.

When discussing this in the film, there is a scene where Ricky Martin is wandering around an airport and Moore says 'Even Ricky Martin couldn't fly'. This makes the viewer believe that the Saudis/Bin Ladens left before airspace was reopened which is inaccurate.
Old 06-23-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the review is still wrong when it says "commercial airlines were grounded after 9/11(on 9/13) Bush ordered that members of the Bin Laden family (along with some other Saudi nationals) be flown out of the country."

Isn't it fun when you try to present something that you have no proof of as facts! Leads to a lot of editing, backtracking, etc. The fact that it is completly wrong about Bush but tries to legitimize itself by pointing out a fact (albeit an inaccurate fact) is amusing

Last edited by chanster; 06-23-04 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 01:27 PM

So the review is still wrong when it says "commercial airlines were grounded after 9/11(on 9/13) Bush ordered that members of the Bin Laden family (along with some other Saudi nationals) be flown out of the country."

Isn't it fun when you try to present something that you have no proof of as facts! Leads to a lot of editing, backtracking, etc.
This is exactly my point also. Moore's misleading accusations are causing people to believe them as fact. It is sad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.