Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the next Big Film Trilogy/Series to be made ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the next Big Film Trilogy/Series to be made ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 09:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by MoviePage
Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is being filmed as well - I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be very good fantasy.
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....Dark+Materials

Old 06-15-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
I'd love to see a movie series based on the Amber novels by Roger Zelanzy. I had heard rumors that the there was going to be a movie, but never heard anything since. I know at one point, a domain name was purchased by a movie studio.
I never got the Amber craze. I read one book and thought it was abysmal. Maybe I picked the wrong one.

Another good series was by C.S. Friedman, the coldfire trilogy.
I could see that, those novels were okay, but it's another case where the later episodes just wouldn't match up to the first one. Actually, the second book wasn't bad. It was the third where I started feeling like Friedman was phoning it in.

They'd have to do something about the lead, though. To my recollection, the priest or whoever it was in the lead was a pretty uninspiring character. Nothing that a little screenplay tweaking couldn't fix, though.

Or how about even the 4 Dragon lance novels. I could see combining the 4 books into 2 movies.
And if it was done right, might be a pretty good movie.
With the LOTR craze, that wouldn't shock me at all. Some movie exec is bound to say, "we need a LOTR copy," and the Dragonlance novels are certianly that. On the other hand, somebody's bound to remember the last movie made that was based on an RPG ....
Old 06-15-04, 04:29 PM

I hope you aren't talking about Dungeons & Dragons. That movie wasn't based on an RPG, it was just a dumb fantasy movie that happend to have the same name as a famous RPG
Old 06-16-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by thephantom
I hope you aren't talking about Dungeons & Dragons. That movie wasn't based on an RPG, it was just a dumb fantasy movie that happend to have the same name as a famous RPG
Okay, you explain that to the movie execs. Let's face it, they only way Dragonlance will ever be made is if a studio decides they have to have a LOTR clone and wants to market to the teen demographic, because, quite frankly, I don't think the stories hold up for an adult reader/viewer.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that if it does, it's probably not going to be very good.
Old 06-16-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone please say they are making movies from some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.
Old 06-16-04, 02:24 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blade 3 is going out next year, but I wouldn't really call that a big film trilogy...or maybe it is?
Old 06-16-04, 03:36 AM

I would also love to see a Dragonlance Chronicles movie, but only if it were big budget 100 millon dollars like Lord of the Rings.
Old 06-16-04, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
The Chronicles of Narnia is definitely Disney's attempt to try and re-create the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings craze...something tells me Disney will manage to excise all the "meaning" right out of the movies and just make them into kids' action-adventure films.
Disney I'm not crazy about... but they're only distributing the movie. Walden Media is making it and that's a huge thumbs up for me.
Old 06-16-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by fmian
Someone please say they are making movies from some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.
I would like to see Terry Gilliam film a trilogy of the Discworld...

Cheers

DVD Smurf