Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 10:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
all the time,

saw 'Treasure Planet' all by myself...
I saw Emperor's New Groove at a matinee by myself. There were only six other people in the theater... 3 different groups consisting of one parent and one child. I was laughing my ass off, but I was the ONLY one laughing. I even got a few weird laughs, apparently because I was a grown up who dared to laugh at such an apparently awful movie. Seriously, it was like when there's that guy who suddenly bursts into laughter during something like Schindler's List. I suppose they were disappointed because it wasn't the typical schmaltzy Disney fare, I dunno.
Old 06-18-04, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing movies alone is a preferrable practice.

Weekday shows around 7 when the movie has already been out for a couple of weeks.
I'm usually 1 out of maybe 30 viewers total (if that)

As I have very little patience for people, whether it be coordinating with someone to go with or just a noisy theater, this is actually to best way to watch a movie IMO.
Old 06-18-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do see movies by myself. I can't always find someone who is interested to go with me when I'm ready.
Old 06-18-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Battlefield Earth by myself...... and after the movie i understand why no one wanted to go with me.
Old 06-18-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go alone most of the time. I hate crowds. I usually go during the week in the morning/early afternoon hours. And unless it's something that I need to see right away, I try to wait a week or two before going to ensure it's less crowded.
Old 06-18-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw Coffee and Cigarettes by myself and since I was alone and had nothing better to do, I snuck right into The Terminal.

Saw two movies for the price of one.

And as I was walking out, the theater handed me a survey to fill out and for completing the survey, I got a free movie ticket! So now I can go see a movie for free the next time I'm at the theater as I sneak into a few others right after!
Old 06-18-04, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by DRG
I used to worry about it, but a few years back I won $1000 worth of Movie Bucks that were only good for that year, and ended up seeing just about EVERY movie that we got. I had to get used to seeing things by myself. Now I do it all the time, especially since my new apartment is a two minute walk to the mall, where all our first run screens are.
Wow $1000 to spend at the movie theater in one year!? That's a whole lot of movies.....or maybe you just saw one movie and had a large popcorn and small coke from the snack bar LOL.
Old 06-19-04, 11:06 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by treszoks
Wow $1000 to spend at the movie theater in one year!? That's a whole lot of movies.....or maybe you just saw one movie and had a large popcorn and small coke from the snack bar LOL.
What made it better is at the time tickets were only $6.50 for an evening show and $4.50 for a matinee. Of course, I saw a LOT of crap in that year...
Old 06-21-04, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DRG
What made it better is at the time tickets were only $6.50 for an evening show and $4.50 for a matinee. Of course, I saw a LOT of crap in that year...
Doesn't it make you wonder whether this $000 money bucks is a bliss or curse?
Old 06-21-04, 04:55 PM

I'm such a loner, I've started to grow my mountain man beard already in my mid twenties - so I almost always go to movies alone. The only time I ever really found it better to go with other people was when I convinced my HS history teacher to take the class to see "Last of the Mohicans" and all us guys started re-enacting the fight scenes after the movie to show off for the girls. I prefer to go to comedies alone especially, since it is really easy to make me laugh (except Scary Movie 3, that one had me completely silent), and it can be embarrasing to be guffawing when the people next to you are decidedly not.
Old 06-22-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep I do alot. Partly cuz I dont sit there thinkg about what the other person(or people) think about it and partly cuz my friends have shitty taste in movies.
Old 06-22-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the time.
Unless it's something i liked so much the first time that I had to take someone to go see it again. Or something silly and fun i'll see with friends from time to time > example: dodgeball this week.
Old 06-23-04, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Amel
I go alone most of the time. I hate crowds. I usually go during the week in the morning/early afternoon hours. And unless it's something that I need to see right away, I try to wait a week or two before going to ensure it's less crowded.
Same here. I don't hate crowds in general though, just when I go to the movies. I remember when I went to see X-Men2 some jackass started talking to his father on his cellphone. I almost started yelling at him, but then he got off. Especially don't see comedys on opening weekend, because it's so busy and everyone laughs for so long, you can't hear what they say next. It's really annoying.

Although when I went to see the Matrix Reloaded for the 4th time (don't ask), about 2 months after it came out, with only 3 other people in the showing, I had this couple who talked the entire way through the first 30 minutes of the movie. It was as if he hadn't seen the first one and she was explaining it all. And at the beginning when Trinity crashed her bike into the station, the guy went "Woah!!" really loud like he'd never seen an action movie before They finally got on my last nerve and I asked them if they were going to talk during the whole movie, because I was trying to listen. Thank god they shut up after that.

But I go by myself most of the time, because I like not having to arrange things, and just go on the spur of the moment. Plus I usually go during the day while my friends are at Uni, since I don't work Monday/Tuesday. Its just better.

Besides I don't really go to many movies anyway. I either can't be bothered, or I just don't want to. This year to date I've only been to the cinemas once, for ROTK. I usually only go to see big action movies at the theatre, to get the full experience.
Old 06-23-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go to movies by myself all the time. Usually for 2 reasons...

a) if I can't round up anyone else to go see it with me.

b) if it's a movie I really want to see, for example I really wanted to see The Last Samurai so I went to see it by myself. If I went to see it with a bunch of friends then I'd fall in the trap of talking with them, cracking jokes, and not really paying attention.
Old 06-23-04, 08:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I just saw Coffee and Cigarettes by myself and since I was alone and had nothing better to do, I snuck right into The Terminal.

Saw two movies for the price of one.

And as I was walking out, the theater handed me a survey to fill out and for completing the survey, I got a free movie ticket! So now I can go see a movie for free the next time I'm at the theater as I sneak into a few others right after!
tsk, tsk

so did you find Coffee and Cigarettes boring and left to see The Terminal instead?
Old 06-23-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Honestly, No, I have never seen a movie by myself, I just cant bring my self too.. I dont know why, I watch movies at home all by myself, but if my GF (whom i live with) or my friends wont see it with me, I just dont see it in the theater, even if I want to
Old 06-23-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I've only seen a couple of movies by myself (Kill Bill, Star Wars: Phantom Menace). The rest are usually with friends and such.
Old 06-23-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've gone by myself but not often. I've done so when I was in a really bad mood and needed to get away - movies kind of calm me down that way.
Old 06-24-04, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by iggystar
I've gone by myself but not often. I've done so when I was in a really bad mood and needed to get away - movies kind of calm me down that way.

Yep, movie is a escapism, and the cinema does that best, away from the house, a movie you want to see, no one else you know, it is a comforting expereince, plus if the crowd is small or quiet, there is a great atmosphere, and you really get into the films.

I like to be engulfed into the stories, and some people don't take it as seriously, thus somethings you can only enjoy by yourself at times in a certain way, it's being at peace.
Old 06-24-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't yet...but don't think I'd have a problem with it.