Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I go by myself often. I enjoy it more since it reduces the distractions.
Old 06-13-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More and more often I do. The single guy thing . I agree its a TERRIBLE place to take a new or first date. However I'm also a single dad so my 12 year old son and I go to see all the action flicks and the animated movies that aren't too young for him to want to see. As far as dramas go I tend to go by myself more often than not. Going by yourself you are so much more flexible- you go to the showing time you want to go to and need not synchronize with anyone else's schedule. It's less expensive ticket and concession stand- wise. Years ago I would have felt VERY inhibited about it, but the longer I'm single the more I enjoy it and could care less about what anyone thinks about it. I'm going to see the movie, if they're dumb enough to spend $20 to worry about why I'm seeing a movie alone then they're the ones with issues!
Old 06-13-04, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt

Oddly...or perhaps not oddly...I would feel uncomfortable going to a restaurant, concert or sporting event by myself. Anyone else like this? No problem with movies, but a problem with the rest? [/B]
Yes, as a matter of fact. Being single and an adult is a different way of life. Most of my pals are married and I don't expect them to go with a pal when they can go with their spouse. I have no problem going to a movie alone because it should be a silent, non-social event, but a concert or a restaurant, no way I do that. I have on occasion went to lunch by myself with a book to read and that's no issue for me but to do so at dinner is just too.....weird :P

Last edited by nightmaster; 06-13-04 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-16-04, 11:27 PM

I love watching movies in the theatre. With a bunch of friends, with my family, with my man ..

.. or by myself. This I do on purpose. It's either to change the mood, to spend my free time, to catch some movies that my man not interested in seeing them or he doesn't have time to go with me .. or simply to have a good time alone.
Old 06-16-04, 11:36 PM
Suspended

I do the loner once in a while when the mood hits. You know, I buy a couple ultimate cheese burgers or soul dough jack and large fries from Jack in the Box, sneak 'em in w/ me, and waste the whole day on 3 movies. It's no different from going to the movies w/ friends and family.
Old 06-17-04, 01:11 AM

I like to see movies with friends, most of the time, so we can talk about it, but the last weekend they wanted to se Garfield, so I ditched them to see The Stepford Wives.
Old 06-17-04, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nightmaster
I have no problem going to a movie alone because it should be a silent, non-social event, but a concert or a restaurant, no way I do that.
I'd say going to any of these alone may be weird at first but is just something you get used to doing. I find attending concerts alone may have the most benefits as you don't have to either find someone with the same musical taste as you have or drag someone along who doesn't particularly want to be there and potentially wasting the hefty price of a ticket.

Plus it is much much easier to get a really great reserved seat when you are only looking for one instead of two or more. And while you're waiting for the act to take the stage, the crowd tends to be chatty so it's pretty easy to strike up conversation with people around you if you feel like being social.
Old 06-17-04, 07:32 AM

There's nothing wrong with going places by yourself Movies,Restaurants,Shopping,Sport Events,etc. . I do it all time and think of nothing it. When I go I see plenty of people alone too and think nothing of it. Why do you care what other people think of you so much. You will most likely never see these people again so what do care what they think of you anyway?
Old 06-17-04, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by cerulean
I find attending concerts alone may have the most benefits
I couldn't agree more. The first concert I went to alone I wondered if I'd feel out of place. When I got there, I couldn't have felt more comfortable.

...back on track, I usually go to movies with someone else but I don't mind seeing them alone either.
Old 06-17-04, 09:28 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I almost always go to movies alone, but I usually run into some people I know there.
Old 06-17-04, 09:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by cerulean
I'd say going to any of these alone may be weird at first but is just something you get used to doing. I find attending concerts alone may have the most benefits as you don't have to either find someone with the same musical taste as you have or drag someone along who doesn't particularly want to be there and potentially wasting the hefty price of a ticket.

I might come across as being cheap or arrogant in saying this, but when you go to a concert alone, you don't have to do the obligatory 'round of alcoholic beverages for the friends' routine either.
Old 06-17-04, 09:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
I almost always go to movies alone, but I usually run into some people I know there.
same here, I belong to the Washington DC Film Society and I always bump into fellow members/friends at various screenings and theatres.

It's also very interesting and common place as I found out that New Yorkers' for the most part go more frequently to the movies by themselves, the recent 3D film fest at the Forum was fascinating in that a 2 o'clock showing was close to sell out on a Thursday afternoon, and a large portion of which were single persons.
Old 06-17-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I almost always see movies alone (for most of the reasons cited already). I guess in my younger, more sociable days, going to see films were a social thing to do (just so you wouldn't feel like you were left out of the activities within a circle of friends), but as I've gotten older, I like my autonomy much more.

"We all die alone."
Old 06-17-04, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Giles
I might come across as being cheap or arrogant in saying this, but when you go to a concert alone, you don't have to do the obligatory 'round of alcoholic beverages for the friends' routine either.
You're right
Old 06-17-04, 03:12 PM
Banned

9 times out of 10 my girlfriend has zero interest in seeing the movies I want to see, especially when I drive to LA to see some kind of art film revival or 3-D film festival. She thinks I'm a nerd and a half for going alone, but I don't know anyone else interested in the kind of movies I watch. Even my friends who are open minded to different kinds of cinema limit their interest to new foriegn and independent films (in other words they might be into City of God but they wouldn't want to go to a revival of Le Circle Rouge or Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid)
Old 06-17-04, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I do the loner once in a while when the mood hits. You know, I buy a couple ultimate cheese burgers or soul dough jack and large fries from Jack in the Box, sneak 'em in w/ me, and waste the whole day on 3 movies.
And of course you would go out to the ticket box office to pay for your second and third movie after each one has ended. Right??
Old 06-17-04, 03:23 PM

click here
Old 06-17-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally posted by knuckles
click here
Old 06-17-04, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by knuckles
click here

lol,i knew what song you meant right when i saw the album cover
Old 06-18-04, 01:12 AM

i prefer seeing movies by myself. I like to sit close, and most people do not. A lot of my friends aren't into the same kind of movies as myself either. Plus, I'm just less distracted if I go by myself.
Old 06-18-04, 03:02 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by SuperJim88
And of course you would go out to the ticket box office to pay for your second and third movie after each one has ended. Right??
Are you insane, you know how far I'd have to walk?
Old 06-18-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
all the time,

saw 'Treasure Planet' all by myself...
LOL! I did the same with "Atlantis" (because I couldn't pay anyone to see it with me). But then I left early because I was bored. And left the theater all by itself.
Old 06-18-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never had but would, if its a big "event" type movie, Id rather go with others.
Old 06-18-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, all the time
Old 06-18-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go by myself occasionally. The best was when I went to see a Sunday night showing of Wonder Boys and I was the only one in the theater. It felt really weird to see a movie completely alone, but the film seems to draw you in furthur that way since there are no outside distractions. I was quite startled towards the end though when I heard coughing from an usher who must have snuck in to watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.