Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got back from seeing Riddick

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just got back from seeing Riddick

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fryinpan1
Total as of Jun. 11, 2004: $10,600,000 (Estimate)
That is a good amount, for some reason, Riddick is playing on like 2600 screens, while Potter is playing on 3600 screens, so for fewer screens, Potter was just a million ahead on Friday, Riddick's Friday was decent.
Old 06-12-04, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by fryinpan1
David Twohy, writer and director of the upcoming The Chronicles of Riddick, has said that he reluctantly cut a key scene featuring actress Kristin Lehman as a character named Shirah. In the scene, Shirah appears to Riddick (Vin Diesel) with information about his mysterious past and his role in an epic battle raging in the universe.
I was watching the making of special for the Riddick game, and they interviewed her. She mentioned that she plays the same character in the game and the movie. I was wondering what happened to her.
Old 06-12-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. Glad I used a pass.

FWIW, it had some enjoyable moments, and they did put every single cent of the $125 million spent on the screen. However, whenever the movie quit focusing on the character of Riddick and tried to deal with the conflict among Necromongers, it began to drag a lot.
I really do hope someone gives H.R. Giger some credit, as they clearly ripped his designs off in just about every way possible. I guess since Universal commissioned Dune (which this movie seemed to try and imitate often), they own the rights to the original designs Giger made, and can use them as they wish without ever giving them credit.
Old 06-13-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you watch the trailer there seems to be a female character in it thats not in the movie approaching the camera, this could be the Shirah character. The trailer also has all the Neo-like comments made about Riddick that were not in the theatrical release as well as the shot i previously mentioned of him letting off what seems to be an energy charge which my sister now says could be those stick bombs that went off earlier in the film.
Old 06-13-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Out of the three other summer films I've seen (Van Helsing, Troy, and DAT), I like this one the best. Not to say it didn't have flaws, but it was enjoyable. The biggest flaw was when ever Riddick was the film's focus, it was too cheesy and stupid. The Necromongers were really boring villians. They had the worst dialogue and over acting in the film. "Know your place, Dame Vaako." "Yes, my husband." That's a bad way to introduce the character and the relations. Also, stuff like, "To Underverse come." was gay sounding.
In my opinion, the film was at its best was when Riddick was either stalked by the bounty hunters or when he and Kyra were at Crematoria. Take out the Necromongers, and focus on Crematoria, Jack (Kyra), and the bounty hunters and that would be a badass film.
I'm floating inbetween a "C+/B-" grade.
Old 06-13-04, 09:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been a fan of Twohy since The Arrival. I thought Pitch Black was great, and Riddick was even better. I was engrossed from beginning to end. I'd love to see it again, and can't wait for the unrated director's cut DVD.
Old 06-13-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It exceeded my expectations. **** out of *****. I liked the artwork and set design in this film quite a bit - it looked really good.

Another thing I enjoyed were the shots of space - they looked...real.

Good fight sequences, too.

Alexa Davalos was great as Kyra - she kicked ass. I knew I recognized her from something and then I checked when I got home - cool.

The ending -

Thandie Newton -
Old 06-13-04, 11:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
The ending -

Thandie Newton -
I second both of these. And yeah, the designs were definitely stolen from Giger, but I think it's more of a sign of how influential he's become in offbeat film design instead of outright stealing.
Old 06-14-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So at this point, does anyone want to venture what might happen in a theoretical sequel? Or just wish? I really have no ideas at this point, since I just saw this tonight, so I am still collating.
Old 06-14-04, 04:43 AM

Spoiler:
im sure it will be about Riddick going to the underverse, Kyra would probably be revived somehow

thats what I think, though the chance of the sequel actually being made..
Old 06-14-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like something they might do. Diesel being such a fanboy D&D fan would most likely do something to bring her back from the dead. It will explore another side to this new world.
Old 06-14-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Karl Urban (Lord Vaako) threw me for a loop, since in this movie he looked like Brad Pitt crossed with Michael Ironside's character from Highlander 2. My friend who I went with, just sat there and tried to figure out where he had seen him before. He was Eomer in the LOTR series. Then my friend did a forehead slap... duh.
Thank you. That was bugging me the whole weekend after I saw it. Now if I can just get that one song out of my head...
Old 06-14-04, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Visually it's amazing. Storywise it's a tad convoluted for it's own good. The action scenes were exciting and didn't overshadow the plot in some more recent films of this genre. To sum the film up it was good but not great, however it did find it more entertaining than the overrated Hellboy.
Old 06-14-04, 02:46 PM

I felt the movie was only so-so. The biggest thing that bothered me was how I felt they discarded the mythology from the first movie.

What happened to riddick being paralyzed with pain whenever the slightest amount of light gets in his eyes?

What happened to his personal struggle against the voices in his head which tell him to kill. Sure, his experiences in PB were supposed to make him want to be a good-guy, but his psychosis would not be eliminated.

And then they discarded his original explanation for his eye condition in lieu of an ambiguous association with the earlier proclaimed pinecone monsters.

I dont mind a sequel that takes a series in a new direction, but why even bother if it is going to deny what has already been established.
Old 06-14-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why in the world did Universal decide to release The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (the animated prequel) after the movie is released? I think it should been released when the Pitch Black DVD was re-released.
Old 06-14-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
The ending -

Thandie Newton -
thirded.

This movie kicked some serious ass. I felt like a total fanboy while watching this. I liked the first movie but I didn't love it, so to be honest, I don't really care about the inconsistencies.

This will be another dvd in my collection of which I don't own the first of a series. Who knows, I might pick up the first when this comes out if someone has a special for the two.

Alexa Davalos was awesome. She looks good dirty. I thought she was great on "Angel" so I was glad to see her here.
Spoiler:
Not too sure if I would like it or not, but I'd like to see her character back if there's another one.

I was really surprised with how I felt about Vin Diesel. The guy was great. He sometimes gets on my nerves with his monotone voice and faceless expressions, but it really worked for this movie.

And I really don't understand how Thandie Newton isn't one of the biggest actors in the business. She's exactly what Hollywood wants: great actress & drop dead gorgeous.
Old 06-14-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't like this too much, but got a kick out of seeing Linus Roache, Colm Feore and Judi Dench in it.
Old 06-14-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mixalott 007, dont they rehash the part from the first film where him and Jack reenact him telling her he got his eyejob in prison? And what voices in the first film are we talking about, there is no such struggle in Pitch Black. As for the blinded by light thing, they do seem to ignore it sometimes but they seem to be good about it most of the time. If i remember right, in Pitch Black he was hurt more by a bright flash of light, like from a flashlight out of nowhere.
Old 06-14-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the film was okay. The film is watchable, but it suffers from scenes being either too drawn out or not drawn out enough. I enjoyed the ending and Alexa Davalos, but not much else I can say.

Well other than that Pitch Black was a lot better.
Old 06-14-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was even better than Pitch Black.

This movie is grand space opera told in the finest tradition of 50s sci-fi! Look, I've been a big sci-fi fan since I could read. In fact I can still remember the first book I read when I were a young lad and yes, it was a kid's sci-fi book with lots of drawings of colourful spaceships. I was hooked immediately and I grew up devouring the grand space operas of the 50s which I still love to this day. I say all this because if you're as big a fan of this genre as I am, you should run not walk to see this movie. The plot is interesting, the effects are spectacular (the alien worlds and spaceships are terrific), and Twohy delivers heaps of action. Sure, there are nonsense elements to the story (I'm a Physics grad so I know more than most how non-sensical), but who cares? Watching this movie is not an intellectual exercise -- it's pure summer movie fun and it delivers in spades.

And to those people asking about the realtionship this movie has with Pitch Black -- very little. There are two characters that recur in this movie but you will miss nothing if you see this without seeing PB. I loved Pitch Black too and I view it as an appetizer that introduces us to the main course in the CoR feast. This movie stands on its own and sets up a universe that seems to have a deep, rich and interesting back story and great possibilities for future stories. And how many sci-fi properties do you know that can claim this? Look at the utter dreck that is Star Trek for instance. (And some would also point to Star Wars.)

As to comments about Riddick being superman, well yeah, I think that's the whole point. He's the Anakin Skywalker, the Neo, the Paul Atreides, the Promised One of the CoR universe. This is where that rich back story will be interesting as future installments reveals more of Riddick's history and lineage and, dare I say it, his DESTINY!

And I agree with most everyone's comments on Thandie Newton. I found her very irritating.

Bring on the sequels!

Last edited by Flave; 06-14-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 02:31 AM

Bad, over the top acting and bad dialogue. It felt like nothing really happened in the film. It was somewhat entertaining, but I really hated the close, can't-tell-what-the-shit-is-happening, shakey camera action. Oh, and the longer than it should've been strobe light fight was about to give me a seizure.

I thought Karl Urban looked like Brendan Fraiser in this movie.

Last edited by beefjerky; 06-15-04 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought Urban looked like Greg Evigan (of BJ and the Bear show).
Old 06-15-04, 08:42 AM

harosa

I had watched pitch black a few days before seeing riddick so it was pretty fresh in my mind.

Spoiler:
When in Crematoria Jack and Riddick get in a fight about how he told her he got his eyes from a doctor giving them a "shine job" in prison. (This is when he first finds her.) Then she yells at him about how there was no such doctor and he just shrugs, totally throwing away that existing story to replace it with no other explanation. Then we see the pine cone dogs who have the same eyes as riddick...are we to think he just took them from the monsters?

The voices are only mentioned in passing in pitch black, admitedly there is no scene where he is fighting internal demons. However he does speak about how there are voices telling him to kill, which explains his motivation for being such a monster adding more dimension to his character. (I believe this occurs when he is trying to scare the female captain while she is working on the escape ship in PB).

As for the light thing, I suppose he could be ok if given time to be used to it. It just seemed inconsistent for him to be wearing his goggles much of PB and then to be whipping them off every five seconds in CoR. The only exception is on Crematoria when the sunrise is coming after him. Of all the people to have a problem withnthis it should be Riddick.

In any case I think the script was already pretty weak, so why deny previous mythology, an action which can only serve to further weaken any continuity to the series.

Last edited by mixalot007; 06-15-04 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
concerning the eye-story.

I took it to mean the doctor wasn't there anymore. Not that one never existed. Given the time element involved and the nature of the prisons it's not a bad assumption.

Or maybe Riddick was just spinning a cool story in Pitch Black. The irony is the consequences of his bravado.
Old 06-15-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took it to mean that the lifestyle and backstory that he seemed to glorify and revel in in Pitch Black had a harder reality to it when she finally experienced it for herself, it didnt have anything to do with him lying. For him the lifestyle was something he was used to but she wasnt prepared for, therefore the anger towards Riddick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.