Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Smoking in Titanic

Old 06-08-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Right now only one movie blatently stands out in my mind like someone was trying for product placement.

Proof of Life

Granted it bombed due to the off screen tabloids but the Cigarette Smoking Man had nothing on Meg Ryan in this movie. It bothered me everytime she was on screen. It was almost as if smoking is good enough for the wholesome Meg Ryan, it is good enough for anyone. It didn't feel like it was part of the character, it all just seemed forced onto the audience.
Old 06-09-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There were only 2 times that I remember smoking in Titanic. One is Leo after Kate tries to jump off the back. The other is Kate lighting up to annoy her mother at dinner.

Couldn't you also say LOTR tried to get kids smoking because the hobbits lit up a few times?

I know that *I wanted* to smoke when I saw Transformers the movie and when Prowl got shot, smoke poured out his mouth. Never mind he was just shot and killed, it looked friggin cool so I lit up there in the theater so I could have smoke puffing out my mouth. j/k