Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

King Arthur: this movie is about Arthur, right?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Looking at that posters and many of the teasers, it seems as though they are more or less advertising a Guinevere movie.

I meant to have the poster on here, but the site wouldn't link the image.
Old 06-05-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude.. you do see that Guinevere is only wearing a belt as a top.. I gladly welcome her on the poster.
Old 06-05-04, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Let's see if this works:

Old 06-05-04, 08:12 PM

Location: B.A. classical instruments with snails, ants, and person(me)
This movie will be about the true history of Arthur in his fight against the Saxon invaders.
Old 06-05-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it hard to believe Guinevere as a warrior ....
Old 06-05-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
A few months ago I was asked to watch a trailer for this at the mall using those TV goggles. They were scratched to hell, and the trailer was kinda rough looking. Then they asked me a bunch of questions. I pretty much told them it looks like they're trying to rip off Pirates of the Caribbean and I probably wouldn't see it the first week at the theater.
Old 06-06-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The movies about King Aurther, but Keira Knightly is the face the masses are most likely to recognize. I love Clive Owen, but I don't think the couple to the right of me in the theater has ever seen, much less heard of Croupier....and even novice marketeers know you can't advertise a movie "starring that guy with the small role in The Bourne Identity and a leading role in an Angelina Jolie movie no one saw."
Old 06-06-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clemente
....and even novice marketeers know you can't advertise a movie "starring that guy with the small role in The Bourne Identity and a leading role in an Angelina Jolie movie no one saw."
Your right. They should advertise as "starring the cool guy from those BMW movies".

I could care less what this movie is about. Keira Knightly is in it, I'm there. I could watch her read a phone book for 3 hours & be happy.
Old 06-06-04, 09:32 PM
Suspended

I'm watching it because it is directed by Antoine Fuqua; if this is another Tears from the Sun then "it's over man, it's over. You're done."
Old 06-06-04, 09:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by greenknight
This movie will be about the true history of Arthur in his fight against the Saxon invaders.

I see one person has bought into the studio hype. "True story."
Old 06-06-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by JasonF
Let's see if this works:

Nicely plucked eyebrows...they were really into 20th century fashion back then... Hopefully not another swashbuckling adventure a la Knights Tale...
Old 06-06-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No way, I'm hoping it's exactly like Knights Tale. Medevil flicks don't nearly have enough WAR in their soundtrack as they should have.
Old 06-06-04, 10:37 PM
Suspended

"We will, We will ....... Rock you!"
Old 06-06-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Keira Knightly is in it, I'm there. I could watch her read a phone book for 3 hours & be happy.
Same here. And I'm a breast man. Go figure. She is stunning. Definitely of a and .
Old 06-07-04, 12:09 AM

Hopefully not another swashbuckling adventure a la Knights Tale...
This is virtually guaranteed to have much more in common with A KNIGHT'S TALE than with EXCALIBUR. At least, that's my impression from all the trailers and other promos I've seen. Which really depresses me, because the "true history" of Arthur has always been an academic interest of mine (I even wrote a research paper on the topic in college). I mean, come on, two words: JERRY BRUCKHEIMER.

Nevertheless, based on my personal interest and the presence of Kira Knightly, I will probably see this one in the theater rather than waiting for the DVD (which I should have done for TROY).
Old 06-07-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
It doesn't say much when they keep hammering that it's a movie from "The Director of Training Day."

I still believe Fuqua's out of his league for this one.
Old 06-07-04, 12:45 AM

Hey, I liked A Knight's Tale...

Holy crap Kiera Knightley is only 18? wouldn't have guessed that!
Old 06-07-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are modern moviemakers afraid to have a major female character be nonaggressive? Here's the proof that the answer is YES, no matter how much it flies in the face of the time period being portrayed.

No way in hades I'm going to see this movie.
Old 06-07-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No way, I'm hoping it's exactly like Knights Tale. Medevil flicks don't nearly have enough WAR in their soundtrack as they should have.
Whaaaaaaa the....? WAR? Is ****ing King Arthur going to bust some caps as Low Rider blasts in the backgroud?
Old 06-07-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kinghts tale did that. I never laughed harder at any scene in movie history. Oh man, that was comedy. Suffice to say, WAR needs to be on Medevil soundtracks a whole lot more.
Old 06-07-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bag from E3.

It's easy to tell why they were all gone by day 2.
Old 06-07-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
See the Movie, Play the game... No thanks on both, this is a rental at best.
Old 06-07-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on what they're drawing on for sources, a warrior Guinevere isn't totally off the mark. The origins of the Arthur legend are in Welsh myth (waaay back, in 6th century oral tradition, when Arthur was "just" a warlord, pre-Lancelot, pre-Grail, pre-Camelot, etc.), and in Welsh and (closely related) Irish myth, warrior queens and war goddesses are very prominent.

Incidentally, Arthur is very likely a historical figure - from the 5th century, when the Romans had just abandoned Britain and the Saxons were flooding in. He may not have been called "Arthur" at that point (although it's reasonably likely), but in any case, a warlord who fought against the Saxons and preserved Britain for a while, winning some major battles in the process, was almost certainly a real figure. He may have been combined with some existing legends, and thus got a little more mythic "bulk", so to speak, but the core of the legend is based in historical fact.
Old 06-07-04, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh, I don't disagree that Arthur, Guinevere, et al are rooted in historical fact. I disagree with the marketing campaign that is presenting this film as being "historical." Records from that time period are sketchy at best, and from the previews it looks like this film is going the usual route in a lot of places (Sword in the Stone, Guinevere/Lancelot affair, etc).
Old 06-07-04, 11:32 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Groucho
... from the previews it looks like this film is going the usual route in a lot of places (Sword in the Stone, Guinevere/Lancelot affair, etc).
According to this fairly positive test screening review from the Rotten Tomatoes message board, there is no sword in the stone and no affair:
Instead of the well-known mythology, this movie explores a possible reality behind what may have inspired the stories. So, many standard plot points are missing. There is not Uther Pendragon, no Morgan La Fay, no sword in the stone, no quest for the Holy Grail, and no fatal love triangle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.