Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Did You Think of "City Slickers"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had seen the sequel before, but never the original. I netflixed it and I enjoyed it. A fun, and fairly funny movie. Not laughs a minute, but it had a few good funny parts. Some throwaway characters, but it was a comedy.

My only complaint is that...spoiler...................

The movie, in a way, ends on a depressing note as we find out the cattle will all be killed. I was expecting a typical, yet understanding scene afterwards where all three guys pull open the gates and have the cows roam free.

Anyways, thoughts on the movie?
Old 06-04-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a decent movie.
Old 06-04-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked it, not hilarious but pretty funny. Now that i look im surprised its not in the collection.
Old 06-05-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I didn't like it. But I'm not a really big Billy Crystal fan.
Old 06-05-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents rented it when I was a kid and I remember thinking it was hilarious and I think it did pretty well at the BO.

I watched it on Comedy Central this past weekend and I didn't think it was so funny anymore. It reminded me of Home Alone, a real 90s artifact and sort-of dated. Also, I'm glad that the
Spoiler:
cattle was slaughtered. How do you think we get hamburgers?
Old 06-05-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can like Hamburgers all you want, but you don't have to take joy in knowing cows died to make them. And after two hours, I just don't think that's the way you end a comedy movie.
Old 06-05-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
great movie. LIght hearted and fun. Not your standard hollywood flick, since all the leading men are middle aged.
Old 06-05-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really liked it, but I wish it would've gotten better DVD treatment.

Spoiler:
I don't really think it ends on a depressing note. Although we find out that the cattle will be slaughtered, there is a scene afterwards where he takes Norman home.
Old 06-05-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I love the when billy is talking to the kids about his 30's,40's ect. Great stuff.
Old 06-05-04, 11:49 AM
Banned

Re: What Did You Think of "City Slickers"?

Originally posted by PacMan2006

The movie, in a way, ends on a depressing note as we find out the cattle will all be killed. I was expecting a typical, yet understanding scene afterwards where all three guys pull open the gates and have the cows roam free.

Anyways, thoughts on the movie?
Was there ever a time in the movie where it was indicated that the cows wouldn't be slaughtered? What do you think they drive cattle for?

And the suggestion that you would have liked to see the gates swung open and the cows set free is laughable. These aren't bald eagles or humpback wales, THEY'RE COWS. If you set them free in nature they would die. There's no such thing as a wild cow, cows are bred to feed humans. They aren't some poor wild creature that was captured in order to be killed and eaten. It was born to be slaughtered. If there weren't a market for beef the cows never would have been born at all.
Old 06-05-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Re: What Did You Think of "City Slickers"?

Originally posted by Pants
Was there ever a time in the movie where it was indicated that the cows wouldn't be slaughtered? What do you think they drive cattle for?

And the suggestion that you would have liked to see the gates swung open and the cows set free is laughable. These aren't bald eagles or humpback wales, THEY'RE COWS. If you set them free in nature they would die. There's no such thing as a wild cow, cows are bred to feed humans. They aren't some poor wild creature that was captured in order to be killed and eaten. It was born to be slaughtered. If there weren't a market for beef the cows never would have been born at all.
If there were never wild cows then where did cows originally come from? Were cows created in a lab?
Old 06-05-04, 12:16 PM

Did anyone catch that Jake Gyllenhaal, star of Donnie Darko and The Day After Tomorrow plays Crystal's son in the film.
Old 06-05-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Meh. Pretty standard fare, some funny lines and the inimitable presence of Bruno Kirby. Helen Slater, though. She's like a hot female Robert Mitchum.
Old 06-06-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not what I wanted to happen, it's what I expected. And secondly, it's not laughable. I don't care whatsoever what their purpose for living is. Death, however, is a naturally depressing subject for many people in America. When you talk about killing hundreds of cows who were in 90% of the movie, it is a let down of an ending. This isn't a drama or some kind of movie where we needed a surprise twist ending. The entire movie was about a cattle drive and the people doing it, and I think for a movie that is a comedy, it ended on a terrible note. The cows could have been dogs, pigs, ants, hell, even human beings. It was a poor way to conclude a comedy.
Old 06-06-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
It was OK. Not super, but not bad. But I find it less funny than I used to, by the way I saw Crystal on TV the other day and I must say he is aging badly. Looks like he'll end up as his impresion of an old man.
Old 06-06-04, 09:35 PM
Suspended

One word: Curly.
Old 06-06-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved em both. Jack Palance was the man! I really wish they would have completed a trilogy or something but I guess once they found gold that was all there was. I wish both DVD's would get full 2 disc SE's. Great films.
Old 06-07-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed it. I too watched it on Comedy Central with my daughter and for me it still holds up. I like the dialogue and it has very memorable lines/scenes. Jack Palance was cool.
Old 06-07-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it. It had such great dialogue between Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and the other guy. And Jack Palance was great. Now, City Slickers 2 on the other hands . . . .
Old 06-07-04, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tofu
I liked it. It had such great dialogue between Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and the other guy...
I guess now we know why Bruno Kirby didn't do the sequel
Old 06-07-04, 04:02 PM

These aren't bald eagles or humpback wales, THEY'RE COWS. If you set them free in nature they would die. There's no such thing as a wild cow, cows are bred to feed humans. They aren't some poor wild creature that was captured in order to be killed and eaten. It was born to be slaughtered. If there weren't a market for beef the cows never would have been born at all.
Cattle are very much able to take care of themselves in the wild. Texas and Mexico were overun with the feral decenants of the cattle the conqusistdors brought over during their explorations. these feral cattle were the foundations for the Texas Longhorn and Corrinte breeds. I'm LOL @ cows dying in the wild.
Old 06-07-04, 04:12 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: What Did You Think of "City Slickers"?

Originally posted by pushx
Cattle are very much able to take care of themselves in the wild. Texas and Mexico were overun with the feral decenants of the cattle the conqusistdors brought over during their explorations. these feral cattle were the foundations for the Texas Longhorn and Corrinte breeds. I'm LOL @ cows dying in the wild.
The number of cattle curently alive in America could not be sustained if they were all released. While there certainly is enough grazing land to support some cattle, if they were all released there isn't enough grazing land to sustain the enormous cattle population. In other words, only with the help of human ranchers, who feed and herd the cattle to more fertal grazing land, could the disproportionate number of cattle alive today be sustained. So, if released, most would starve and the only heartiest would survive.

Last edited by Pants; 06-07-04 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but we were talking about the 100 or so cows in the movie, not nation-wide.
Old 06-07-04, 11:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With all this hubbub about the cattle in City Slickers I'm surprised that no one has complained about the fact that
Spoiler:
they slaughter Gheorghe Muresan to make "bologna" sandwiches
at the end of My Giant.
Old 06-08-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always like this movie.