Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What directors would you like to see make the remaining Harry Potters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What directors would you like to see make the remaining Harry Potters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt Harry will die, but I can see him getting seriously messed up physically and mentally. Like Peter Parker, there is no happy ending for Harry.
Old 06-05-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
The reason I disagree with dvdtalk's all time favorite human being Terry Gilliam is that he would make the movie go way overrbudget, try to make it his way too much and probably stray from the book, and he would just get more depressed over a studio interfering.
Only one of Gilliam's films has ever gone over budget. He is by most accounts a very responsible filmmaker, altering or outright cutting things in order to work within his budget.

As for faithfullness, Gilliam co-wrote and directed Fear and Laothing in Las Vegas, which is remarkably faithful to a book that many called unfilmable.

I would agree that Gilliam doesn't suffer fools of studio executives too well. However, his last three films were made for studios with little to no problems. The problem with Harry Potter is that WB won't allow a director to take many, or any, risks with the franchise. What they want is the book as literally translated to the screen as possible, out of fear of upsetting the fans.
Old 06-05-04, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want Cuaron to do another one, and I echo the sentiment that Peter Jackson would be awesome for the seventh movie. I don't see that happening though.
Old 06-05-04, 04:48 PM

How about Richard Linklater? School of Rock showed that he knows how to direct kids really well. George Miller or Gore Verbinski could be interesting, too. I'd also echo Gilliam and Burton, and of course Spielberg (although that seems like a big long-shot by now).
Old 06-05-04, 08:01 PM

MICHAEL BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see Cuaron return for more than one more installation. After recently watching Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and JSA, I'd like to see Park Chan Wook take a stab at Harry Potter. He could turn out a really dark, visually interesting film and really do justice to the friendship aspects of the series.
Old 06-05-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alex Proyas of Dark City fame would make a really dark movie, though it remains to be seen what he does to I, Robot.
Old 06-06-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I'd like to see Cuaron return for Order of the Phoenix (I just think that like POA it is a darker book than GOF)
I'd definately like to see Speilberg take a stab at the 7th movie (to finish off Harry's times at Hogwarts)
As for the sixth book I'd like to see someone like Guillermo del Toro. He proved he can make a film that tiptoes along the lines of a fun/dark/visual/FX film with Hellboy.
Old 06-06-04, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by mllefoo
If?!?

The way things are going, the seventh book will be so dark, people won't be able to see going to the book store.

Seriously.

There are more deaths coming. Harry is likely to lose a bunch of people he really cares about. Plus there is going to be one hell of a nasty wizard duel between Harry and Voldemort at some point.
oh, haha, I'm not a fan oh HP really, just end up catching em on DVD at some point. And to the "Tim Burton is a hack guy", you sir, are crazy. I don't know how you can be a hack when all or most of your movies have such a distinct, creative visual style. If you want a hack, look at McG or Michael Bay.
Old 06-07-04, 05:27 AM

Would love to see Tim Burton nailing at least one of the remaining series. He gotta.
Old 06-07-04, 09:07 AM

Peter Jackson for book 5:

Just to see what he does with the Nazg- er ... Dementors
Old 06-07-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a huge Harry Potter fan, my vote goes to Alfonso Cuaron to direct 5-7. So far he is the only one who has been able to bring some of JK Rowling's magic from the page onto the big screen.
Old 06-07-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by slop101
Yeah, 'cause BigFish was as dark as coal... Burton's a hack - he got lucky with EdWood, the rest of his films suck.
I don't think any of these suck:

Edward Scissorhands
Batman
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Sleepy Hollow
Beetlejuice
Batman Returns
Big Fish
Frankenweenie
Vincent
(and of course) Ed Wood

Originally posted by slop101
I vote for Terry Gilliam & Peter Jackson.
Gilliam is brilliant and he'd be my first I'd select. I'm not sure about PJ, though. Let's see another non-LotR film or two from him before we consider him the "best director ever".
Old 06-07-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Everybody is picking director's based on style and how "dark" they can go. But Cuaron's benefit wasn't just his visual style, but his excellent handling of the actors, especially when it came to the young teens. Quite frankly, Burton and Gilliam seem to excel with offbeat, strange characters, but I'm not sure they'd be the best choice for these more straightlaced characters. At least not by judging by their previous works.

I do echo the sentiment of Spielberg and Peter Jackson. But quite frankly I think the WB has the right idea. Alfonso Cuaron was certainly a left field choice which paid off magnificently. Hopeful Mike Newell does well also, and if he turns out well, I'd suggest they let the two of them handle the franchise.