Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ratings for "Riddick" and "Stepford Wives" are out... both PG-13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ratings for "Riddick" and "Stepford Wives" are out... both PG-13

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm sure, even if the film tanks or not.
If the new guy can get an unrated DVD im sure this can too
Old 05-27-04, 09:40 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
You can have up to three if all three are used non-sexually. Some recent PG-13 films that I can recall have had two "f" words...

And if you use one "f" word in a sexual use, you'll probably get an R unless you get an appeal.
The rules are actually more loose than that on language. It depends more on the morality or tone of the film.

Same goes with violence. Saw HARRY POTTER 3 last week, and that film is an easy PG-13, but the good vs. evil + family friendly brand of the franchise kept the film to a PG. ROTK is another good example of a clearly R-rated feature given a lesser rating due to the fantasy and moral virtue aspects of the production.

Of course we all know the MPAA is corrupt, so all this talk doesn’t mean much.

Last edited by scott shelton; 05-27-04 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
you sure about aliens? tons of swearing and a body gets cut in half
No no - I meant that if they made those movies today, they would have cut & edited the films so as to ensure a PG13, as opposed to going for an R like they did in the '80s - so if a film like Riddick were made in the '80s, they would have easily gone for an R.

Last edited by slop101; 05-27-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-27-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
The rules are actually more loose than that on language. It depends more on the morality or tone of the film.

Same goes with violence. Saw HARRY POTTER last week, and that film is an easy PG-13, but the good vs. evil + family friendly brand of the franchise kept the film to a PG. ROTK is another good example of a clearly R-rated feature given a lesser rating due to the fantasy and moral virtue aspects of the production.

Of course we all know the MPAA is corrupt, so all this talk doesn’t mean much.
also episode 2 is easily a pg13 or even an r because there is a beheading, and someone loses a hand
Old 05-27-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also episode 2 is easily a pg13 or even an r because there is a beheading, and someone loses a hand
The remake of The Haunting had a beheading and it was PG-13. Same goes with The Fellowship of the Ring. Just because there's a beheading doesn't make the film PG-13 or R material. Hell, the man was in a freakin' mask/helmet in Episode 2, that's enough to make it at least hard-PG.
Old 05-28-04, 12:39 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
The MPAA rates a movie by gathering 10 moms from a predetermined pool, they screen the film using some preset checklist, then make a suggestion for the rating. Those ratings are then averaged and the rating is determined.

That's how it was explained to me once.
Old 05-28-04, 10:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Goldberg74
The MPAA rates a movie by gathering 10 moms from a predetermined pool, they screen the film using some preset checklist, then make a suggestion for the rating. Those ratings are then averaged and the rating is determined.

That's how it was explained to me once.
I wouldn't say "moms" specifically, but the MPAA is made up of members near that status of people.
Old 05-28-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No no - I meant that if they made those movies today, they would have cut & edited the films so as to ensure a PG13, as opposed to going for an R like they did in the '80s - so if a film like Riddick were made in the '80s, they would have easily gone for an R.
I highly doubt either one of those movies would be edited to get a PG-13 movie. Aliens obviously was a sequel to a film classic that was an "R" (Pitch Black didn't come close in terms of box office or critical praise) and Arnold still makes R movies, even today.

Pitch Black seemed like a light R at best to me, but maybe that is just me