Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars DVD Image? Is this real? *Spoiler of course*

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars DVD Image? Is this real? *Spoiler of course*

Old 05-19-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if LucA$$ figures that since that every Star Wars fan who wanted the originals on DVD got the bootlegs already why bother putting them out, so he decided to really f' with the same fans who f'ed with his share of the profits of the DVDs he'd eventually put out? I don't know. Something has to account for this outlandish behavior in these changes. If they want to use a younger Anakin at the end, whopdedoo, then use younger Yoda and younger Obi Wan.

I don't mind the "director's cut" approach he is taking here. I just want the originals released as well. I am actually looking forward to seeing the new versions, but I cannot believe they would just sweep the originals under the rug like this. This would be like suddenly an artist decides Mona Lisa needs a bigger smile and destroys all copies of the original painting and makes his new version of the painting the only one people can see.
Old 05-19-04, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by davejt1
FYI, from thedigitalbits.com...

Also this morning, I imagine by now many of you have seen the altered Return of the Jedi DVD screen shot posted yesterday over on Ain't it Cool News. While some sources are still hedging their bets... yes, we can confirm that this is authentic. It

Wow, I don't even know what to say to this. We all know Lucas is an assclown- for being ashamed of his original films, for the lame-ass changes in the SE, for the mediocre prequels, for even considering putting N'Sync in Attack of the Clones, for pissing on film history and denying his fans the originals on dvd- but this goes beyond something I ever thought even a money-hungry conglomerate hack like Lucas was capable of. If this shit is true, if Hayden F****n Christensen will now forever close the film trilogy I've loved as a child, I don't see how ANYONE can defend Lucas anymore......even the most die-hard apologist. What a sad, sad man.
Old 05-19-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Lucas just gave the fans the originals plus Special Special Ed. People wouldn't bitch as much.
Old 05-19-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
If Lucas just gave the fans the originals plus Special Special Ed. People wouldn't bitch as much.
That would be a beautiful world.
Old 05-19-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm sure people would find something new to bitch about though. I'm fairly sure of that.
Old 05-20-04, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be great indeed.

And yeah, people would find someting else to bitch about. As long as there are fanboys.............. they will never stop.
Old 05-20-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Wow, I don't even know what to say to this. We all know Lucas is an assclown- for being ashamed of his original films, for the lame-ass changes in the SE, for the mediocre prequels, for even considering putting N'Sync in Attack of the Clones, for pissing on film history and denying his fans the originals on dvd- but this goes beyond something I ever thought even a money-hungry conglomerate hack like Lucas was capable of. If this shit is true, if Hayden F****n Christensen will now forever close the film trilogy I've loved as a child, I don't see how ANYONE can defend Lucas anymore......even the most die-hard apologist. What a sad, sad man.
When you say "we all know Lucas is an assclown" that would include me so do me a favor and dont force feed your opinion on me. I dont get it with Star Wars anymore, one minute we all love it, next we are ready to take Lucas' head and stick it to a pike this is just f'n lame. I highly doubt any one of you "die hard fans" would have the sack to say any of this crap to the man's face. Dont like it? Dont spend the cash come September, or bother with star Wars Episode III. But this isnt a perfect world and you can go on and on and on about how Lucas..oh wait let me rephrase that so you can understand it better "Luca$" stole away your childhood good god man GET OVER IT. In case you havent been paying attention yes I'm defending Lucas. I dont care what this man does to his films they are HIS afterall, and who knows this image much like the rumored N'Sync appearance may just be fake. However if it is indeed real, then so what? Im still buying the trilogy and boo F'n hoo Lucas changed something.
Old 05-20-04, 07:38 AM

I think adding hayden's face would make sense. He is Annakin after all.

Why do you people care?

If you truly detested star wars, you would stop caring so much.
Old 05-20-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Anyone who says this is legit needs to put their money where their idiot mouth is.

If the image from AICN is indeed in the final cut of the DVD that will be released in Sept. of 2004 then I will pay for your Star Wars set. If it turns out to be the same old Annikin then you pay for mine.

Any takers? I'm tired of everyone here talking like they know for sure what it will look like. Put your God Damn money where your mouth is.
You tell em, Pants!
Old 05-20-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by zero
When you say "we all know Lucas is an assclown" that would include me so do me a favor and dont force feed your opinion on me. I dont get it with Star Wars anymore, one minute we all love it, next we are ready to take Lucas' head and stick it to a pike this is just f'n lame. I highly doubt any one of you "die hard fans" would have the sack to say any of this crap to the man's face. Dont like it? Dont spend the cash come September, or bother with star Wars Episode III. But this isnt a perfect world and you can go on and on and on about how Lucas..oh wait let me rephrase that so you can understand it better "Luca$" stole away your childhood good god man GET OVER IT. In case you havent been paying attention yes I'm defending Lucas. I dont care what this man does to his films they are HIS afterall, and who knows this image much like the rumored N'Sync appearance may just be fake. However if it is indeed real, then so what? Im still buying the trilogy and boo F'n hoo Lucas changed something.
Amen brother. I may not like some of the changes, but some of them are made for the better. Bespin is now alive with life vs. the school hallways with no windows in the original. The sarlaac is actually alive now and hungry. Not just a hole in the ground. Oooh, scary. So I will take the good with the bad, and thank Lucas for making something that has entertained me for almost 30 years.
Old 05-20-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kcbrett5
I think adding hayden's face would make sense. He is Annakin after all.

Why do you people care?

If you truly detested star wars, you would stop caring so much.
Most of the people in this thread love Star Wars but feel George Lucas has really poisoned the well. Star Wars and George Lucas are not one in the same.

Myself, I'm beyond the point of all caring. I used to be a big Star Wars fan, but the Special Editions put a damper on that and The Phantom Menace was really the final nail in the coffin. I saw Attack of the Clones, but I saw it as part of the regular moviegoing public instead of as a fan. It'll be the same case with Episode III.
Old 05-20-04, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is being discussed in the Main Forum. Please remember to leave the Lucas hatred at the door there. I understand that a lot of people have strong feelings about him... but that thread is to discuss the DVDs, and not Lucas or his changes. Closing duplicate thread.
Old 05-20-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-20-04, 09:29 AM

I don't mind him changing special effects shots as long as they don't change the storyline.

New shots of ships, monsters etc are fine, but when you change a special effect that changes a character or part of the storyline then I don't like it. As in the Greedo shoots first scene, which now changes the character of Han Solo throughout the OT.

Or adding a sound effect that wasn't in the original version and also changes a character or storyline ruins the film. As in the added scream for Luke when he falls down in the Empire Strikes Back into the tunnel. It makes him look like a wimp.

IMO, it's okay to update a special effects shot as long as it does not alter a character or an element of the story.
Old 05-20-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct-o-mundo.

People would still about the changes, but no one would really care:

a. We'd have the original films and could just ignore the other versions.

b. People could use scenes from either version to burn their own 'fan edit' of the films as they see fit.

Yes, if he released the original editions I wouldn't care in the least if he added Jar-Jar to all 3 films. But holding back the originals that everyone knows and loves is pretty much indefensible at this point... especially as he starts sticking prequel actors into the films 25+ years after the fact.
Old 05-20-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when you are forced to do something, you approach that with a much different mindset than if it was a voluntary action.

people are being forced to intergrate with these new versions of the films (if they want to enjoy the benefits of the dvd format and don't have access to the other formats).
thus all the animosity.

if both versions were available, the reception for the altered versions would be nowhere near as hostile.
i'm sure the same people would still prefer the originals, but there would really be no reason for discontent.

to me, alternate versions of the same film are one of the best 'extras' they can throw on a disc.

as for this change- i just have to laugh
at everyone getting their panties in a bunch.
for me, one of the worst things about Jedi was always the casualness with which the spirits were treated.

it's one thing in the previous films to hear Bens voice or see 'a vision' of him in a moment of crisis, or when Luke is delirious and half dead.
it is quite another to have Ben pop up and casually carry on a conversation (while sitting his non-corpreal form on a rock!?) and then the three bozos pop up at the end for a Kodak™ moment.
its just plain dopey, even given the fantasy context.
if they are going to be popping up seemingly at will- where is the finality of death? there is no longer any purpose to anything because death is no longer an impediment to participation in the affairs of loved ones.
Old 05-20-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ckolchak
for me, one of the worst things about Jedi was always the casualness with which the spirits were treated.

it's one thing in the previous films to hear Bens voice or see 'a vision' of him in a moment of crisis, or when Luke is delirious and half dead.
it is quite another to have Ben pop up and casually carry on a conversation (while sitting his non-corpreal form on a rock!?) and then the three bozos pop up at the end for a Kodak™ moment.
its just plain dopey, even given the fantasy context.
if they are going to be popping up seemingly at will- where is the finality of death? there is no longer any purpose to anything because death is no longer an impediment to participation in the affairs of loved ones.
Listen to Anakin's dialog after slaughtering the Tuskens in Episode II. I suspect that this whole "no finality of death" for Jedi will be a pretty important plot point for Episode III. At least, he's certainly set us up for it based on the before/after stuff we've seen.
Old 05-20-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Glad I have all the lasers and DVDrs of all of them as well.