Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ugh...the next disney theme park ride-inspired movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ugh...the next disney theme park ride-inspired movie

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Wasn't the Matterhorn inspired by a movie from the 50's? Sort of the other way around?

Maybe one of their nature shows, but even then I'm still at a loss as to how the Abominable Snowman became a part of it. (Don't know if he's in there anymore, he was on the ride back in '89.) He's not in Swiss Alps!
Old 05-18-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is the Space Mountain movie with the Dick Dale soundtrack coming out?

And dammit, I want to see Journey Through Inner Space. That giant eyeball freaked me out when I was a kid.

A Small World movie would be Wrong, Bad, Bad Wrong wrong bad bad wrong... I have recurring nightmares about that ride.
Old 05-18-04, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every one of you that praised POTC and cheered when it got Oscar nominations (thought it as overlong, myself)...

This is your fault.
Old 05-18-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Another reason to hate the overrated Pirates.
Originally posted by Neeb
Every one of you that praised POTC and cheered when it got Oscar nominations (thought it as overlong, myself)...

This is your fault.
Give me a break. I'll like any movie I want, thank you very much.

Last edited by Morf; 05-18-04 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-18-04, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Morf
Give me a break. I'll like any movie I want, thank you very much.
No! From my ivory tower of the avant garde, I declare that you will only like the latter work of Ingmar Bergman!
Old 05-18-04, 05:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

and yet teacups still go without a film deal

Old 05-18-04, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Maybe one of their nature shows, but even then I'm still at a loss as to how the Abominable Snowman became a part of it. (Don't know if he's in there anymore, he was on the ride back in '89.) He's not in Swiss Alps!
The Materhorn was inspired by the Disney movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053352/

The Jungle Cruise was pretty much based on The African Queen (not a Disney movie). This new movie seems kind of redundent.

P.S. If there are any guns in the movie I will boycott it since it no longer would be an acurate depiction of the ride.
Old 05-18-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I thought so.... Thanks Pants
Old 05-19-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coming soon.......

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

A David Lynch Film
Old 05-19-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Coming soon.......

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

A David Lynch Film
I would love to see a "documentary" about Toad getting thrown out of WDW.
Old 05-19-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pants

P.S. If there are any guns in the movie I will boycott it since it no longer would be an acurate depiction of the ride.
Wait...i missed this memo. When did the P.C. Police whine to Disney that shooting at hippo's to "save" the crew of the boat was offensive? Last time i checked a Hippo wasnt exactly the most friendly of mammals on the planet.

Whats next, mom's complaining that Pirates groping wenches is a bad (??) example for thier kid?

Old 05-19-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Coming soon.......

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

A David Lynch Film

You know, that would almost make sense. Having Lynch direct.
Old 05-19-04, 01:16 PM

[reply]Whats next, mom's complaining that Pirates groping wenches is a bad (??) example for thier kid?[/reply]

Actually I think something like this must have really happened. I remember going on the Pirates ride in the late 70s/early 80s, and up on a balcony was a pirate chasing a wench around & around in a circle (as if they were on a giant turntable). I went on the ride again in 2000 and this time on the exact same balcony, there was a woman weilding a broom and chasing the pirate. Nothing else in the ride seemed to have changed since I'd originally seen it, so I can think of no other reason for the switch than for PC reasons.
Old 05-19-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by redskull47
[reply]Whats next, mom's complaining that Pirates groping wenches is a bad (??) example for thier kid?[/reply]

Actually I think something like this must have really happened. I remember going on the Pirates ride in the late 70s/early 80s, and up on a balcony was a pirate chasing a wench around & around in a circle (as if they were on a giant turntable). I went on the ride again in 2000 and this time on the exact same balcony, there was a woman weilding a broom and chasing the pirate. Nothing else in the ride seemed to have changed since I'd originally seen it, so I can think of no other reason for the switch than for PC reasons.
There was another change in between. Instead of the pirate chasing the wench for sex, it was changed to a hungry pirate chasing a bosomy maid carrying a tray of food. Since that wasn't clear enough, it was changed to the wench chasing the pirate. That kind of violence is A-OK with the PC folks.
Old 05-19-04, 05:14 PM

I have no problem with this. Pirates, Mansion, and Jungle Cruise all have fairly clear links to popular movie genres from the 50s and 60s (or earlier). In fact, I welcome it. There's a chance they could make a fun, enthusiastic adventure film in the vein of The Mummy (1999). And the cool thing is that it's unlikely to get the kind of giant budget that leads to overkill a la The Mummy Returns.
Old 05-19-04, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Since that wasn't clear enough, it was changed to the wench chasing the pirate. That kind of violence is A-OK with the PC folks.
This is wrong. The wench chasing the pirate has always been there.

Here's how it works:

Originally the gag was that there were three pirates who were each chasing a woman, and then there was one woman (a fat, ugly woman) who was chasing a pirate. The implication being that the first 3 pirates were going to "have their way" with the women and that the fat woman was so hard up that she couldn't even get a horny pirate to bang her.

About 8 or 10 years ago they altered the scene and added plates of food in the hands of the women and the last pirate. So now it appears that the pirates are chasing the women for the food they are carrying, and that the fat woman is chasing the pirate for the food he is carrying.

That was the one and only change to that scene.

As for the Jungle Cruise, yes UAIOE, you did miss the memo, there are no more guns on the Jungle Cruise.

It worked like this:

In the old days the captain would shoot his gun, loaded with blanks, at the hippos. Aprox. 5-7 years ago they altered this so that the captain fired his gun in the air to "scare" the hippos. In 2000 or 2001 they removed the guns entirely. For more than a year after the removal of the guns the boat captains would integrate the absense of the guns into their jokes. They would say things like "If I only had a gun right now, etc, etc...." But then one day all the jokes stopped and now there is no reference to the guns whatsoever.

Sucks doesn't it?
Old 05-20-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks hard.

Why oh why was "shooting" at a dangerous animal to "protect" the passengers bad?