Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino presents hero

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-04, 01:19 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw this as i was watching the preview for hero starring jet li
what does this mean did he produce or write it or what
Old 05-17-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As I understand it, QT saw the movie, liked it, and convinced the studio to bring the film to the U.S. Other than that, he has nothing to do with the movie.

It's a very good movie, though the trailer is very misleading. Don't go into it expecting an hour and a half of Jet Li kicking ass, 'cuz that's not what Hero is about.
Old 05-17-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miramax was going to do a lot of bad typical Miramax things with hero unless QT would put his name on it.

think of this as those Quentin Tarantino Presents films such as when he presented Iron Monkey and so forth.
Old 05-17-04, 01:55 AM

Miramax was going to do a lot of bad typical Miramax things with hero unless QT would put his name on it.
So does that mean they don't do bad things to it? It'll be unedited?

I've already seen it a bunch of times, but that would be a great movie to see on the big screen...
Old 05-17-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That was those "unspeakable" things. I believe they were going to keep it on the shelf or edit it unless QT was willing to let them use his name to pesent it.
Old 05-17-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
I looked up Hero on imdb.com, and Quentin did, in fact, produce it. If this film is like one of the other films I own that his name is on, Curdled, he had quite a lot to do with it besides just lending his name.
Old 05-17-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing Quentin had to do with this movie is getting Miramax to finally release it under his Rolling Thunder banner later this summer. I have a copy of the dvd from Hong Kong and nowhere does it mention QT in the credits.
Old 05-17-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/fullcredits

yea im not really sure why imdb lists Tarantino as a producer.
Old 05-17-04, 10:02 AM

That's a mistake. He had nothing to do with the movie. He neither saw it before Miramax paid for it nor had any part in the production.

Miramax apparently paid for the production of the movie, well, part of the production anyway. Miramax has already done unspeakable things to the movie. The first time I saw the movie I said 'this reeks of Miramax'. Miramax told Zhang Yimou to cut the flick to under 100 minutes and so everybody has had to suffer this edit for 1 1/2 years now. I really can't wait until the right version comes out, like everybody else.

Miramax is only hoping to cash in from Mr. Tarentino's name because Kill Bill is so popular.
Old 05-17-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

think of this as those Quentin Tarantino Presents films such as when he presented Iron Monkey and so forth.
The release of "Quentin Tarrantino Presents Iron Monkey" had lots of bad Miramax things done to it, including a shortened running time and radically altered soundtrack.
Old 05-17-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It means QT will be running the projector at the theater you'll be at.
Old 05-17-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looked up Hero on imdb.com, and Quentin did, in fact, produce it. If this film is like one of the other films I own that his name is on, Curdled, he had quite a lot to do with it besides just lending his name.
He had nothing to do with the making of the movie. Don't trust the imdb aka the Inaccurate Movie Database.
Old 05-17-04, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Dvdsky
So does that mean they don't do bad things to it? It'll be unedited?

I've already seen it a bunch of times, but that would be a great movie to see on the big screen...
It actually runs 20+ minutes longer or so than the Asian cut.

I just picked up the R2 DVD of "Hero" this week and was very very impressed. Can't wait to see it on the big screen!
Old 05-17-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by Defiant1
Don't trust the imdb aka the Inaccurate Movie Database.
I can relate to that. It took me a couple months of repeated emails to convince IMDB that Nikki Cox did NOT have an uncredited cameo in Shallow Hal. They finally took her out.
Old 05-17-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
That's a mistake. He had nothing to do with the movie. He neither saw it before Miramax paid for it nor had any part in the production.

Miramax apparently paid for the production of the movie, well, part of the production anyway. Miramax has already done unspeakable things to the movie. The first time I saw the movie I said 'this reeks of Miramax'. Miramax told Zhang Yimou to cut the flick to under 100 minutes and so everybody has had to suffer this edit for 1 1/2 years now. I really can't wait until the right version comes out, like everybody else.
Exactly. Quentin just tried to convince Miramax to finally stop sitting on it, and release the damn film. Miramax agreed to do so, if QT lent his name to the film. They also agreed not to cut it any more, but as co-producers of the film, Miramax already had Zhang Yimou deliver a shorter cut of the film compared to his original cut (the latter cut currently unavailable anywhere on DVD, but supposedly on EVD in China).
Old 05-17-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
It merely means that it was QT "source material" (read: another place to rip off ideas from).
Old 05-17-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Abob Teff
It merely means that it was QT "source material" (read: another place to rip off ideas from).
Can you read the post above your own?
Old 05-17-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Can you read the post above your own?
Yuh Huh?
Old 05-17-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It gave a clear cut reason for why Miramax wanted to do this. I'm always dismayed when folks start going off on how QT is just ripping off other people's style or ideas. Who doesn't work off others works for inspiration? (Read: It's not just an excuse for him to "rip off" someone else's work)
Old 05-17-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
I see a lot of people saying that this movie is not all about action........if you have seen this movie or know what it's all about, send me a message (I don't think it would be cool to use spoiler tags on this one but if you think so go ahead I guess) telling me all the goods.

I don't mind knowing everything about these types of movies before seeing them because I'm not the biggest fan of martial arts films (or most action films for that matter) but this one has me interested because of the amazing footage I saw in the trailer.

Or, If you know of a site that spoils absolutely everything about this movie..............please point to it.
Old 05-17-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, this is interesting: today at Cannes, Miramax had a press screening of Hero. The length of the film? Apparently at 109 minutes, it seems to be Zhang's original cut of the film. Wow, we might just get an uncut version of the film yet. We may have QT to thank for this.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/minisites/...ves/000026.php

QUENTIN COMES THROUGH – Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino announced that he was pushing Miramax to release the full director’s cut of Zhang Yimou’s Jet Li/Donnie Yen/Maggie Cheung sword movie, Hero, which the company had been sitting on for so long that buyers had a choice of DVDs from Hong Kong and Taiwan readily available for order over the web. That version, which Zhang had cut at Miramax’s suggestion, runs about 90 minutes. Miramax has just announced a press screening here for tomorrow morning at ten. Running time? 109 minutes. Nice to see someone in Hollywood using his powers for good.
Old 05-17-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One good deed after making all your movies by basically ripping off other people's work is not exactly a big deal.

Can't wait to see what genre he rips off next.
Old 05-17-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally posted by Debaser
One good deed after making all your movies by basically ripping off other people's work is not exactly a big deal.

God Damn it, just can't go through a QT thread without bashing.

Man, okay - he rips shit off - big ****ing deal. His movies come out, and they're generally some of the best of their respective years. Better to praise a rehash than suffer through a remake.

And above that, if it's entertaining than who gives a **** if it's rehash or not.

Oh and yeah, I never got the hate toward the Miramax cut of Hero, it doesn't feel shorted at all. But I suppose its the concept that matters.
Old 05-17-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
God Damn it, just can't go through a QT thread without bashing.

Man, okay - he rips shit off - big ****ing deal. His movies come out, and they're generally some of the best of their respective years. Better to praise a rehash than suffer through a remake.

And above that, if it's entertaining than who gives a **** if it's rehash or not.

Oh and yeah, I never got the hate toward the Miramax cut of Hero, it doesn't feel shorted at all. But I suppose its the concept that matters.
That's why I like to use "Quentin fans only please" in the thread title.

Anyway - It also doesn't take much brains to figure out that Vol. 1 & 2 were "A homage......A salute if you will" to the movies Quentin loved growing up. For some reason, a lot of people can't quite grasp this fact.

Also, I could have sworn Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were his the last time I checked............am I still correct?
Old 05-17-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I could have sworn Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were his the last time I checked..
No, no, no. Resevoir Dogs was a direct rip off of City on Fire and Pulp Fiction ripped off Kiss Me Deadly and a bunch of other films.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.