Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

M. Knight movie hype

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

M. Knight movie hype

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
The ad they put on during Frasier had the dates wrong with the years aside from Signs.
Old 05-13-04, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Misleading was probably a poor choice of words. It was just too damn vague. I don't have time to see many movies, so I like to know what a movie is about in pretty decent detail before deciding to see it.
Simple solution: just go to www.imdb.com and read the story synopsis.
Old 05-13-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
Spoiler:
Since it was never explicitly explained and since the girl kept saying the water tasted funny, i always thought it was just as likely that it was something within the water itself that was the aliens' weakness in Signs.
That seems like a stretch, especially after M. Night's character gives the big speech about going to the lake because they don't like it. The implication was pretty clear. I don't think a contaminated well in the middle of Podunk chased them off.
Old 05-13-04, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Most people who realize that the twist endings have not been the focus with the exception of Sixth Sense, love him.
Prove it.
Old 05-14-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rivero
Er, ok. That's the ENDING. How about the other 106 minutes?
crap. You mean to tell me that there isn't
Spoiler:
water or any other moisture in a grassy field?

it was something that was borrowing a lot from NIght of the living dead and another drawn out M. Knight film.
Old 05-14-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Badger1997, you understood what I was saying. Yay!

Spoiler:
One character "thinks" the aliens don't like water. The news report says "some way" was found to defeat them. Water appears to fatally harm the alien at the end, but this is tap water that the girl has been complaining about throughout the film. I just prefer to differ from those who leap to the simple conclusion that water kills the aliens. I think it's something IN the water. I'd even say that rainwater wouldn't harm them. Maybe saltwater harms them, maybe not. The fact is that the movie never tells you, so it's open to interpretation any and all assumptions are made by the viewer, so it's your own fault if you don't like the movie because water kills the aliens. It didn't in the movie I saw.
Old 05-14-04, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To expand a bit on what shill66 said,

Spoiler:
I think it should also be noted that it isn't just any water around the house; it's water that Bo (who all the nurses said was like an angel when she was born) has sipped from. And the news report says that the aliens were defeated by a primitive method that originated somewhere in the Middle East. People will obviously take from the movie what they will, but to me it seems to only scratch the surface of the message to conclude that the aliens are destroyed by simple H2O. Clearly, the entire movie is about faith.

Also, I'm not convinced that the entire thing isn't just a dream in Mel Gibson's character's head. But that's a different discussion.

Finally, I would like to point out to everyone that this is my first use of the spoiler tags in a post. Let's all mark our calendars accordingly.
Old 05-14-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Sixth Sense: ***/****
Unbreakable: 1/2 a */****
Signs: */****
Old 05-14-04, 09:11 AM

Sixth Sense:
Somehow I missed all the hype for this film and saw it for the first time when the DVD came out. Anyone who sayss they saw the ending a mile away is bullshit. This was a fine film despite the cutesy kid factor in HJO. Also to say that MKS owes a debt to Hitch, you are probably right, but EVERYONE has influences. Tarantino, Lucas, Spielberg, Jackson all of them. I am sure that Hitch was a huge influence on MKS.

Unbreakable:
I loved this movie. As others said, I give MKS props for going in a different direction with this film instead of taking the easy road with SS2. There are a lot of subtle notes in this film and as a comic lover in my youth, I though it is a good origin story that should be required viewing for anyone writing a comic-adaptation film.

Signs:
My favorite of the three. THIS is a horror movie. I have never ever jumped in a theater before this movie. It seriously scared the shit out of me when the aliens were revealed on the video telecast. The theme of the man of god who has his faith restored was good and as someone else said, I didn't think it was just water that got the aliens. He pulled a really good performance out of Mel and Joaquin was good as well.

I am excited about the Village and can't wait to see it.
Old 05-14-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Jack's Smirking
To expand a bit on what shill66 said,

Spoiler:
I think it should also be noted that it isn't just any water around the house; it's water that Bo (who all the nurses said was like an angel when she was born) has sipped from.
Okay ... so they find out there's an Angel in Podunk and
Spoiler:
decide to all leave the planet? Forget for a moment that they were leaving long before the "angel water" ever touched any of them.

No offense, but that's a pretty absurd explaination.
Old 05-14-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Posting to give props to, in my opinion, one of the best directors making films these days. There are always going to be people who don't like his films, and that's a valid opinion, but with Signs, he solidified his stature as a masterful director.

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Most people who realize that the twist endings have not been the focus with the exception of Sixth Sense, love him.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I once asked someone if they liked Signs, and the response was, "I don't like alien movies." Some people just don't get it.
Old 05-14-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by mgbfan
Okay ... so they find out there's an Angel in Podunk and
Spoiler:
decide to all leave the planet? Forget for a moment that they were leaving long before the "angel water" ever touched any of them.

No offense, but that's a pretty absurd explaination.
I always thought it was something about her too, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that there might be other
Spoiler:
"angels" around the globe, taking a sip of the water, (blessing it?) and then throwing it on the aliens

Considering the actual main them of the movie, I think this makes more since. Especially when you mention the
Spoiler:
Middle East.
Old 05-14-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love all his previous movies and will definitly be seeing this. One of the best parts is that he DOESNT give away the whole movie in the trailors. I love watching trailors, but not to see the WHOLE movie in them, just to give me enough excitement for me to see them, like one of the previous posters said for Unbreakable.
Old 05-14-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
sixth sense was decent enough...a good solid film.

I've never wanted to demand my money back so much as i did walking out of Unbreakable...the most manipulative piece of trash i've ever paid money to see. I HATE this movie. I even rewatched it a couple of years later after seeing signs to give it another shot....but it still sucked monkey balls.

Signs was in between....an ok movie...but nothing to write home about. All in all he's just an egomaniac with a great PR machine behind. Stupid shit like putting him on the cover of Time doesn't help matters. He's a derivative hack in my opinion.

But despite all of that i'm interested in the Village....if only because I like most anything in an historical setting, and Colonial America just doesn't get enough screen time....however, if, as someone suggested earlier, the baddies turn out to be Indians I will demand my money back and never ever ever watch anything by shamalamadingdong ever again.
Old 05-14-04, 04:51 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Sixth Sense:
Somehow I missed all the hype for this film and saw it for the first time when the DVD came out. Anyone who sayss they saw the ending a mile away is bullshit. This was a fine film despite the cutesy kid factor in HJO. Also to say that MKS owes a debt to Hitch, you are probably right, but EVERYONE has influences. Tarantino, Lucas, Spielberg, Jackson all of them. I am sure that Hitch was a huge influence on MKS.

Who's this MKS you keep referring to?
Old 05-14-04, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
I and many others would disagree. Unbreakable was a fantastic take on the comic-book mythos and I still praise Knight for defying audience expectation so drastically and not making a Sixth Sense 2. I hope a sequel pans out someday, somehow.
I don't get it. What was his superpower other than the fact that he could bench press a lot?
Old 05-14-04, 04:55 PM
MrN

Originally posted by cross
I don't get it. What was his superpower other than the fact that he could bench press a lot?
He was 'Unbreakable' - nothing could hurt him. So, we have at least Super-Strength and Invulnerability.
Old 05-14-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MrN
He was 'Unbreakable' - nothing could hurt him. So, we have at least Super-Strength and Invulnerability.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken--which I may very well be since I only saw this awful movie once--something *could* hurt him or served as his "weakness" if you will; and it was the stupidest thing too. Let's just say he and the stupid aliens in Signs would've gotten along.
Old 05-14-04, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by mgbfan
Prove it.
no.
Old 05-15-04, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I always thought it was something about her too, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that there might be other
Spoiler:
"angels" around the globe, taking a sip of the water, (blessing it?) and then throwing it on the aliens
I do. It's such a stretch that I think I may be pulling muscles just thinking about it.
Old 05-16-04, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by MrN
Who's this MKS you keep referring to?
M. Knight Shyamalan
Old 05-16-04, 11:26 AM

His name is actually Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan.

Night is his nickname, so he goes by M. Night Shyamalan. There is no K.

As far as the topic goes...

Sixth Sense - fantastic, was blown away, I still watch it just for the amazing performances of all the lead actors

Unbreakable - very well done, an M. Night super hero movie id a cool thing indeed

Signs - great suspense, he is a master of using silence to create suspense, and I also believe it was not the water itself but some of the natural contaminants contained therein that don't harm us but proved fatal to the aliens

Overall Shyamalan is one of my very favorite directors as I have loved all 3 of his movies so far. He is the current best director and creating atmosphere/suspense in movies. I find his style very engaging and feel glued to my seat waiting to see where the story takes me. I will see anything he makes.

I hope and fully expect The Village to be as good and supsensefull if not more so than signs and it could end up being his scariest yet.
Old 05-16-04, 12:22 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Kal-El
Actually, if I'm not mistaken--which I may very well be since I only saw this awful movie once--something *could* hurt him or served as his "weakness" if you will; and it was the stupidest thing too. Let's just say he and the stupid aliens in Signs would've gotten along.
spoilers if you haven't seen Unbreakable AND Signs.

Spoiler:
Well, I guess he has to breathe.
I don't think water was his weakness - just his inability to swim - something he could very easily 'cure', unlike say if your weakness is Krytonite.
Old 05-16-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by cortan
His name is actually Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan.

Night is his nickname, so he goes by M. Night Shyamalan. There is no K.
Well I still feel like an idiot for spelling it wrong but I could have sworn I seen it spelled with a K before. I also remember an issue where there was suppose to be NO period after his first initial??

Oh well, It's not like every word I type is spelled correctly anyway but I am curious about the name thing for some reason.
Old 05-16-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cortan
Overall Shyamalan is one of my very favorite directors as I have loved all 3 of his movies so far.
Cool. I've loved all 4 of his movies so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.