Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheesy movies you're almost afraid to admit you like thread!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cheesy movies you're almost afraid to admit you like thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dune
Turk 184
Poison Ivy 4 (Jamie Pressly)
Rocky 3
Rocky 4
Old 05-31-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the picks so far...just wow. I don't mean that in the "wow, you like THAT film" way, I mean it in the "why in the world are you AFRIAD to admit to liking THAT classic!?" way.

Seriously, what are with so many of these picks?

I'm not afraid to admit to liking anything, but there are a few that I enjoy that most hate. I can sit down and watch Wild Wild West at any time. I bought it at WalMart today for $7, so that made me happy. I love Clueless and Can't Hardly wait also, two great teen films that some never mention.

To the lesser known films, here we go. I obviously don't think of these as "great", but I do enjoy watching them just because they just flat out make me laugh, they are a riot.

The Creeps

I mean, my God. How can you not laugh at a film about midget versions of The Mummy, Dracula, The Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster? There are also some great quotes in this one to go along with the monsters.

Naked Space

After the monster finishes singing "I Want To Eat Your Face" and the Dr. shouts out "AND NOW MY LIFE HAS MEANING" (or something to that effect), I just lose it. Obviously, I like this one in the same way that I like Creeps.

Two bad bad films, that I love just because they are so bad.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-31-04 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-31-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Life Less Ordinary - Danny Boyle and machine-gun toting angels...how could you go wrong???
Old 05-31-04, 08:09 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i have a ton of them but one movie suprised me that i recently caught on tv
Navy Seals with Michael Biehn and Charlie Sheen and Bill Paxton
At times it is cheesy with charlie sheen going over the top but over all the tactics and material used for the seal team is relatively realistic.

other movies
cobra
drive me crazy
get over it
roadhouse
deep rising (I liked the mummy hated mr and i thought van helsing was okay until the ending which was terrible cgi mania)
godzilla (98)but i hate id4
batman forever ( I am a huge tim burton fan but this is not bad i despise batman and robin though)
there is hundred more cheesy movies i watch once in a while.
Old 05-31-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster

Poison Ivy 4 (Jamie Pressly)
That would actually be Poison Ivy 3. Not that I've actually seen it, mind you.
Old 05-31-04, 12:04 PM

Big Trouble in Little China
Spies Like Us (could watch this over and over)
Three Amigos
Old 05-31-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Yet another vote for Flash Gordon.

Also, Innocent Blood.
Old 05-31-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great topic! I am a fan of poster pics, so I will include mine below:

There are several that I adore, that I know many think are complete trash.

Aside from the questionable cheese (i.e. popcorn flicks) that I must asmit I always like (ID4, Armageddon, The Rock, etc), I also have an affinity toward the following:

Walken and Leary make this one of the best BO bombs ever, and is honestly one of my favorite films of all time.

Forget Forrest Gump and Philadelphia, THIS is what Tom Hanks should have won the Oscar for!

"You didn't see Best Defense? Let me tell you why. The movie sucked." --Eddie Murphy

True, the plot and script is horredous and make no sense, but with Sledge Hammer (David Rasche), Arthur (Moore), and even Max Greevey (Dzundza) from Law and Order S1, you can't go wrong. I love this horrible cheesy flick!

I couldn't find the cover art to Disorginized Crime, but it is also one of my top favorites, starring the great Al Bundy (Ed O'Neill, and the late great Fred Gwynn. Apparantly, this title is OOP or something, as no sites have it. Oh well, it was a $6.99 at BB back in the day when I got it, so all is good.

And last, but most certainly not least, my FAVORITE cheesy movie of ALL time:

Filmed almost entirely on location in Moscow (not a joke) this is my fav PA movie next to the original. The cheese factor is VERY high so RUN, don't walk, to the nearest B&M and buy this now! It's an In and Out 4x4 with extra cheese! I kid you not! (some will get the I&O reference, most will not).

That's about all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there are scores of others. I like most movies, so a "good" critic, I am not, but being able to find some entertaining parts in any movie (no matter how horrible it is) makes for an easy time at the video rental store (unless the wife is with me).
Old 06-01-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

License to Drive
One Crazy Summer
Fast Forward
Grease 2
Fire with Fire
Police Academy 5 (the one where they're in Miami)
Lisa

A few already mentioned:
Congo
Breakin'
The Money Pit (so hilarious)

I'm not ashamed.
Old 06-01-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Get Over It w/ Kirsten Dunst
Old 06-01-04, 10:21 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over the Top
Sorority Boys
The Hot Chick
Reform School Girls
License to Drive
Porky's Revenge
Hospital Massacre (I like a lot of slasher movies, but this one is really bad. Yet, I watch it all the time...)
Old 06-01-04, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by sundog
Stuart Saves His Family
It's not cheesy. It's "finely obsoived".
Old 06-01-04, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Apone
Hook directed by Steven Spielberg. I don't see why it deserv- ermm... get such low rating at IMDB. It wasn't that bad.
I saw this in the theatre when it first came out and there was this poor 8-year old boy in the audience - who must have been dragged there by his folks on the strength of their liking Spielberg - who was kneeling on his seat looking away from the screen, crying and plugging his ears and kept repeating out loud: "Daddy, can you make the music stop?!"

He had all my sympathy. This is the worst case of a film so badly conceived and put together the director had to delegate the job of making it coherent entirely to his composer (John Williams) who filled every nanosecond of screen time with sugar-coma-inducing, ear-splitting, Mickey-Mouse-type music and percussion.

Same thing happened to 1941, by the way (not one of my favourites either).

My favourite guilty pleasures, besides The Mummy Returns which should be on everybody's list, are Blast From the Past (both with Brendan Fraser) and Mel Brooks' Dracula: Dead and Loving It (on laserdisc).

I also believe Rat Race is an underrated classic. Any comedy that has a cow dangling from a hot air balloon wins my heart. Also: Boat Trip (both with Cuba Gooding Jr.).

Last edited by baracine; 06-03-04 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wrongfully Accused with Leslie Nielsen.
Old 06-02-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pootie Tang!
Old 06-02-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ASpen Extreme
Old 06-02-04, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by iggystar
License to Drive
That's one of my favorite teen movies! I don't really get what's cheesy about it. When I think cheesy, I think "so shitty it's fun to watch just so you can mock everything", like "Showgirls". Bad acting, crappy script, etc. I always thought both Coreys were good young actors, and the rest of the cast were great too. Ok, maybe Heather Graham isn't the best actress in film history, but she did play a good drunk girl in the latter part of the film. Some parts are over-the-top (the hellish driving exam with the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" dad James Avery) or ridiculous (Haim driving the car to the hospital for his pregnant mom...in reverse) but they're still funny. And the part where Haim forces his dad out of the car so he can impress Heather is hilarious. Richard Masur walking down the street with an armful of diapers and baby products, with this pissed look on his face like he could kill someone Definitely an 80s teen classic that needs a good dvd transfer NOW!

For true guilty pleasures, I'd go with one of the "after hours" Cinemax skin flicks I saw back in the early-mid 90s. Films like "Bikini Bistro", "Animal Instincts 2" and other similar craptastic softcore. Lots of stupid ones about horny artists, vampires, etc. It's nice to have a tv in your room as a kid .

Even more cheesy than those films are some of the ones like "Night of the Lepus". Janet Leigh must have really needed a paycheck during the time she made this in the early 70s. I'll never forget the tv guide's description of the film: "a southwest community is terrorized by giant carnivorous super-bunnies". So, of course I had to watch. Definitely a "so bad it's good" type of film. What's even funnier is how much you'd have to pay if you wanted to own a vhs copy...one place online had it for $40. I passed, but I'd probably still watch it if I saw it on at 3 am.

Last edited by gnradd21; 06-02-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-02-04, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Cobra-A must :You're the diease, and I'm the cure....."
Miracle Beach-god don't ask I love perky genies
Suicide Kings-many consider this cheesy, it might be, but I think its an underrated movie.
The Ref-Denis Leary classic
Wild Orchid-um.....
Any movie where James Spader plays a pervert or a sex fiend-S.L.V., Crash, Secretary ect.
Dream a Little Dream-this list isn't complete without a movie with the Corey's
Old 06-02-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ahhh, you guys have no idea how happy i am knowing that some of you also happen to like the same crapy-shity movies with me...

here's mine:
COOL As ICE (don't have it)
COBRA (got it)
GREASE 2 (got it)
OVER The TOP (don't have it)
Invasion USA (don't have it... yet)
Delta Force (Don't have it... yet)
Aboce The Law (Got it)
If Looks Could Kill (don't have it) <-- the one with Richard Gierco from 21 jump street
Old 06-02-04, 04:01 PM

Midnight Madness

Freddy Got Fingered
Fortress
Bad Taste
Just One of the Guys
All the Police Academy Movies...
Old 06-03-04, 09:10 AM

The Cutting Edge (Probably seen it 50 times, Love it) TOE PICK!!
Roller Boggie.
Joysticks.
and I second Midnight Madness, Great flick. FAGABEEFE
Old 06-03-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. CutThroat Island
2. Deathstalker II
3. Star Trek V: The Final Frotier
Old 06-03-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Hammer99
Pootie Tang!
Sah-dah-tay!
Old 06-03-04, 03:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
got to agree with "Grease 2" something about
"We're gonna rock, we're gonna roll, we're gonna bop, we're gonna bowl...we're gonna score score score score score scoreeeeeee.......tonight!!!" just gets to me!
Old 06-03-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate to admit that I like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.

Great movie.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.