Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Awesome movies you thought would suck?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I've recently seen Master & Commander and the Last Samurai and I was blown away by both of them and really enjoyed em. They were both blind buys and I'm glad I got em. I know not everyone likes em, but I'm just wondering ... what are some movies you've seen recently that you were surprised to really enjoy and went into it expecting the worst?
Old 05-11-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
revolutions.
Old 05-11-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=loathe
Old 05-11-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One that comes to mind for me is...About a Boy
Old 05-11-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake)
The Rundown
Man on Fire
Old 05-11-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Below and Equilbrium from last year... Since it was never advertised as going to theatres for its short run, I thought that was a bad thing. Went to see both in theatres and loved em both. I was the ONLY 1 in the theatre for Below and only about 5 people in Equilbrium.
Old 05-11-04, 11:10 PM
Banned

Fight Club. I didn't much care for Pitt as an actor back then and I thought the title sounded dumb. In fact, I still think the title's dumb. Add to that the commercials and ads that came out for it that didn't even remotely scratch the surface of what the film was really about: cultism, absurdity, loneliness. I begrudgingly saw it with friends opening night because we had enjoyed Fincher movies in the past, but my expectations were pretty low. By the time one of my fave Pixies songs started blaring and those buildings started blowing up I was convinced we had seen a future cult classic.

Last edited by Rivero; 05-11-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lawrence of Arabia: Just seemed like intellectual snobbish pap and I avoided it like the plague for years, but was I ever glad to be wrong. One of my absolute faves now.

Singin in the Rain: I had always been put off by the concept of musicals, but Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor were just blow away in their work here.

Raging Bull: I remember watching it in high school after seeing Goodfellas and I hated it. But I was really too inexperienced for it, and when I somewhat skeptically revisited it, I was blown away by all that I had missed and again it's one of my faves.
Old 05-12-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I thought the first MATRIX movie would suck before I saw it in the theater. I thought it was going to be some kind of Virtual Reality nonsense like THE LAWNMOWER MAN (which I hated).
Old 05-12-04, 07:09 AM

I was surprised that I enjoyed these movies after reading so many bad things about them - Matrix Reloaded and Timeline.
Old 05-12-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay....I don't think it is "awesome" but much better than I ever expected: "10 Things I Hate About You". My sister wanted to see it, so when she came for a visit, I rented it.
Old 05-12-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd agree with Singing in the Rain and Fight Club ... definately had low expectations when I first sat down to watch them.
Old 05-12-04, 10:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i am sam was wonderful
Old 05-12-04, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
New York Minute Who knew?
Old 05-12-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it "awesome", but I saw Cat In The Hat and actually liked it.

It received some brutal press and word-of-mouth, and I was really dreading watching it.

It was dumb, but I laughed quite a bit. So there...
Old 05-12-04, 10:48 AM

The Mummy
Old 05-12-04, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought the first MATRIX movie would suck before I saw it in the theater. I thought it was going to be some kind of Virtual Reality nonsense like THE LAWNMOWER MAN (which I hated).
You stole my post. I remember seeing the commercials for the Matrix in which Morpheus says "No one can explain the Matrix to you," and thinking "If you can't even figure out how to tell me what the movie is about, then no thanks."
Old 05-12-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Awesome movies you thought would suck?

Originally posted by necros
So, I've recently seen Master & Commander and the Last Samurai and I was blown away by both of them and really enjoyed em. They were both blind buys and I'm glad I got em. I know not everyone likes em, but I'm just wondering ... what are some movies you've seen recently that you were surprised to really enjoy and went into it expecting the worst?
If you thought they would suck, why would you buy them?

I can understand a blind buy for something I never got around to getting to the theater for. But that would be something that looked remotely interesting. If I thought something would suck I certainly wouldn't buy it first. IMO.
Old 05-12-04, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JasonF
You stole my post. I remember seeing the commercials for the Matrix in which Morpheus says "No one can explain the Matrix to you," and thinking "If you can't even figure out how to tell me what the movie is about, then no thanks."
He did explain it, in classic James Kirk inflection... the actual quote was...

"Unfortunately, no one can be (pause) TOLD (pause) what the Matrix is (long pause) you have to see it for yourself..."

Get it? It was a subliminal that was excellently thought out into the movie to be able to be used for marketing...

and then there is the line in Reloaded - also in Jim Kirk style....

"One sentinel for every Man, woman and child in Zion (pause) thats sounds EXACTLY (pause) like the thinking of a machine (pause) to me."

You gotta love the guy
Old 05-12-04, 11:45 AM
Banned

My Excellent-movie-that-I-thought-was-gonna-suck was Pirates of the Caribbean...I had no desire to see this whatsoever, but my little girl really wanted to see it, so I acquiesced and was certainly glad I did...i have to have watched this at least 5 times by now. Depp was exceptionally brilliant in the role.
Old 05-12-04, 11:58 AM

After reading through approx. 2,440 threads on this forum about how much The Hulk sucked, I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 05-13-04 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

The hulk sucked .... 2,441

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 05-17-04 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: Awesome movies you thought would suck?

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
If you thought they would suck, why would you buy them?

I can understand a blind buy for something I never got around to getting to the theater for. But that would be something that looked remotely interesting. If I thought something would suck I certainly wouldn't buy it first. IMO.
If I don't like a DVD that I buy, I just sell it right away on half.com. I lose a few bucks but it's basically about the amout of a rental or less. So you could say I rent to own
Old 05-12-04, 03:29 PM

When I was kid, I refused to see Back to the Future because I thought it looked idiotic. After thorough convincing, I gave in and discovered a true comedy classic. I've never lived that one down.
Old 05-12-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recently: Van Helsing, I thought it was some good mindless fun.
Others: Waterworld, though I wouldn't quite call it awesome.
Titanic, I thought it was pretty good.

Obviously, most of the time it is the hyped blockbusters that surprise me as the less notable ones that I'm intrigued by are the ones that I learn more about because I think I might actually like it. This of course doesn't always hold true. Maybe someone should start a thread "Movies that you thought would be awesome but ended up sucking".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.