Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So why can't they keep an actor to play Batman?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 06:00 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't they get an actor to play Batman more than once (aside from Michael Keaton)?

Batman - Michael Keaton
Batman Returns - Michael Keaton
Batman Forever - Val Kilmer
Batman and Robin - George Cloony
Batman Begins -- Christian Bale

Is it money$

DAC
Old 05-11-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Keaton was Batman. The other two attemped Batman. And now there's Bale.

I guess we'll see...
Old 05-11-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think keaton didn't want to do it any more.
Old 05-11-04, 06:08 PM
DAC

I agree that Keaton was Batman. The question is why did he quit? If it was just because he didn't want to do it anymore, then why did Kilmer quit? And Clooney?
Old 05-11-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Wouldn't you quit too if you knew Joel was going to have close ups of your ass in the Bat suit?
Old 05-11-04, 06:11 PM

Keaton was quoted as saying " I have the movies I love doing and I have Batman." He didn't like doing it and probably turned down Batman Forever to do Jack Frost and all the other great movies he has since Batman.
Old 05-11-04, 06:17 PM
DAC

Originally posted by BernieStolar
Keaton was quoted as saying " I have the movies I love doing and I have Batman." He didn't like doing it and probably turned down Batman Forever to do Jack Frost and all the other great movies he has since Batman.
He has done some memorable movies hasn't he?
First Daughter (2004) (post-production) .... President Mackenzie
White Noise (2004) (post-production) .... John Rivers
Live From Baghdad (2002) (TV) .... Robert Wiener
Quicksand (2001/I) .... Martin Raikes
Shot at Glory, A (2000) .... Peter Cameron
Jack Frost (1998) .... Jack Frost
... aka Frost (1998)
Out of Sight (1998) (uncredited) .... Ray Nicolette
Desperate Measures (1998) .... Peter McCabe
Jackie Brown (1997) .... Ray Nicolette
Inventing the Abbotts (1997) (uncredited) .... Narrator
'Weird Al' Yankovic: The Videos (1996) (V) .... Johnny Kelly (AKA Johnny Dangerously)(This Is The Life)
Multiplicity (1996) .... Doug Kinney
Speechless (1994) .... Kevin Vallick
Paper, The (1994) .... Henry Hackett, Metro Editor New York Sun
My Life (1993/I) .... Bob Jones
Much Ado About Nothing (1993) .... Constable Dogberry
Kurenai no buta (1992) (voice: English version) .... Porco Rosso
... aka Crimson Pig (1992)
... aka Porco rosso (1995) (France)
Batman Returns (1992) .... Batman (Bruce Wayne)
One Good Cop (1991) .... Artie Lewis
Pacific Heights (1990) .... Carter Hayes
Batman (1989) .... Batman/Bruce Wayne
Old 05-11-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keaton turned it down because of the direction Joel Shumacher wanted to take the franchise

aka

Getting in a lifeboat before the Titanic hit an iceberg.

Smart move.
Old 05-11-04, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Keaton turned it down because of the direction Joel Shumacher wanted to take the franchise

aka

Getting in a lifeboat before the Titanic hit an iceberg.

Smart move.

Aye. The series became unwatchable after Batman Returns, with any semblance of a plot giving way to showboat costumes and special effects that look childish rather than cool. The first 2 Batman movies were quite good (IMO) with excellent acting all around.
Old 05-11-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keaton was a great Batman. He had the perfect jawline for it and everything.
Old 05-11-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Val Kilmer was just as good as Batman, if not better. He certainally seemed to handle the dual thing better (Bruce/Batman) IMO.

Clooney of course was just a poor choice, but then again, he also had a sub-par script to work with.

An actor is not going to want to stick with Batman for a long time because they will not want to get typecast as him (for reference, see Adam West).
Old 05-11-04, 07:07 PM

Probably the same reason Bill Murray refuses to do Ghostbusters 3. He doesnt want to be typecasted. Keaton probably thought two was enough and didnt want everyone to know him just as Batman.
Old 05-11-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It would e cool if Keaton could return to do a Dark Knight Returns movie.
Old 05-11-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by nightwing82
I thought Val Kilmer was just as good as Batman, if not better. He certainally seemed to handle the dual thing better (Bruce/Batman) IMO.
I'll agree that Kilmer was a fantastic Batman, but I thought he was a mediocre Bruce Wayne (whereas I thought that Michael Keaton was perfect). The reason that Kilmer did not reprise the role is the same reason that he rarely works with the same people more than once: he is not an easy person to work with. I won't even acknowledge that other guy.

Personally, I blame Joel Schlockmaker for the death of the Batman franchise.

Old 05-11-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Personally, I blame Joel Schlockmaker for the death of the Batman franchise.
Personally, I believe that the sky was blue this morning.
Old 05-11-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Bale is justified since it's a prequel. (and well, if they were still using Keaton that'd just be akward.)

Clooney and the entire Batman and Robin movie was just horrible. It wasn't Clooney's fault, but my god was that movie painful.

Keaton was great, and Kilmer was quite good.

Dunno why it can't keep a single one, but I bet Keaton is happy as hell he didn't do Forever and & Robin, even with his record of recent movies - nothing stings worse than having to admit you're in Batman and Robin.

...Of course, they could have just made Kevin Conroy into Batman and kept him animated, with CG these days only 80% of the population would be able to tell.
Old 05-11-04, 07:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two reasons I can think of why an actor would not want to be Batman.

1. Batman is far more interesting than Bruce Wayne, but since being Batman means almost all of your body is covered in a suit, it's not such a great role for an actor.

2. The villains almost always upstage Batman. They did in the first three. I didn't see the fourth.
Old 05-11-04, 08:56 PM
Banned

Keaton jumped ship because it was obvious the series was going in the wrong direction but also, I think, because the role wasn't offering him anything to work with. As cool as Keaton looks in the suit, that's all the role really requires. He barely makes an impression in Batman Returns. Speaking of which, nothing else really does in that mess of a movie besides Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Sometimes people talk like the Burton films are destined to be classics or something but let's get serious: the original movie has a weak script and Returns is flat-out preposterous with so many asinine ideas that go nowhere and such a horrible re-imagining of the Penguin that I would say that that was the end of the Batman film franchise as a respectable series right then and there.
Old 05-11-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would it be too much of a stretch to say that the Batman films are following a similar pattern to the comics? Which would suggest the next film should kick ass.
Old 05-11-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rivero
Keaton jumped ship because it was obvious the series was going in the wrong direction but also, I think, because the role wasn't offering him anything to work with. As cool as Keaton looks in the suit, that's all the role really requires. He barely makes an impression in Batman Returns. Speaking of which, nothing else really does in that mess of a movie besides Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Sometimes people talk like the Burton films are destined to be classics or something but let's get serious: the original movie has a weak script and Returns is flat-out preposterous with so many asinine ideas that go nowhere and such a horrible re-imagining of the Penguin that I would say that that was the end of the Batman film franchise as a respectable series right then and there.
I disagree. Batman was (and probably still is) THE definitive comic book film.

Penguin was great also.
Old 05-11-04, 09:42 PM

As others have expressed, I think it is obvious that Keaton jumped ship at, what turned out to be, the right time.

As for the others, they probably signed on for 2 factors: 1. Deals that they couldn't pass on $-wise and 2. They thought the film would be a hit/comeback hit/vehicle.

When factor 2. turned out to be wrong, they studio probably didn't want and/or offer such good $ for them to return or they new it was time to cash in their chips and leave the dead franchise.
Old 05-11-04, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I disagree. Batman was (and probably still is) THE definitive comic book film.

Penguin was great also.
The first 20 minutes of Superman in Smallville are better than the entirety of BR. De Vito deserved his Razzie nomination that year.The main reason to watch this is:

Old 05-11-04, 11:05 PM

I think Keaton quit because of the direction of Schumacher, and also because of the fact he had a devotion to Burton. He probably would've done the film if Burton had agreed.

Kilmer...difficult to work with, didn't want to return...I'm sure those are the reasons.

Why didn't Clooney return? Well, that's obvious...Warner wanted to restart the franchise, and I doubt Clooney would've even considered doing another Batman movie. He's been quoted as saying that movie is awful.
Old 05-12-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Sometimes people talk like the Burton films are destined to be classics or something but let's get serious: the original movie has a weak script and Returns is flat-out preposterous with so many asinine ideas that go nowhere and such a horrible re-imagining of the Penguin that I would say that that was the end of the Batman film franchise as a respectable series right then and there.
I agree completely. BATMAN RETURNS, to me, wasn't that much better than FOREVER and ROBIN. The ridiculous origin of Catwoman (Frank Miller had the right idea of creating her as a hooker), the rocket-armed penguins, the Christopher Walken character, and the majority of the scenes reeked of camp.
Old 05-12-04, 04:42 AM

the original batman 1990 was a great movie. the other three weren't good but they had a good performence in each of them. batman returns, catwomen was awesome, pfeiffer can lick me anytime. batman forever, i loved jim carrey as the riddler. sure he was just doing his normal jim carrey thing, but he's very funny while doing it. batman and robin, the movie was horrible. i like howard stern's description of it, the gay ice capades, not that there's anything wrong with that. i did enjoy arnold's mr. freeze. although i am a big arnold fan, so i do have a bias.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.