Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Vows to DESTROY TOY STORY!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure many are aware of this, but Disney has been talking lately of going back to (Pixars) Well for some more money, I mean Toy Story 3. This time without Pixar, and I imagine without a good story too.

If you arent crying yet, heres the story;

Toy Story 2 was supposed to be a direct to video film, but the thing just blossomed until it became obvious that it belonged in theaters. For my money that’s still the best of the Pixar movies, a film that’s just great in every possible way.

No one expected to see a Toy Story 3, especially now that Pixar and Disney are parting ways – partially over disagreements dealing with sequalization. But the Mouse House owns the rights to the characters, and the option to do future sequels, with or without Pixar. And it seems like they’re opting to do it without.

Disney studio head Dick Cook says that he wants to make Toy Story 3 for the big screen in a few years. "These are two of the most beloved characters in the last generation. Buzz and Woody are fantastic characters, and I think that is something that would fit on the big screen nicely."

Dick. Dick. Dick! Let’s not be rash here. Sure, Buzz and Woody are great characters, and they’ve earned you all the wealth of Mammon. But when do you stop bleeding your properties? When do you realize that the characters are nothing without the talent behind them?

Well, judging by the continued weak output of Disney animation… never.

Taken from www.chud.com

Not that any of this actually surprises me.
Old 03-31-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh, doesn't surprise me. Though it wont destroy toy story. I mean hell, we still like it even though Buzz Lightyear had his own crappy cartoon.
Old 03-31-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bahhhh...leave it alone. Maybe Tom Hanks and Tim Allen will have some pride and refuse to do this without Pixar involved. Well...Tom Hanks might do that.
Old 03-31-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
this movie sucks
Old 03-31-04, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
this movie sucks
which one?
Old 03-31-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Di$ney

<small>needed to make this a true Disney thread</small>
Old 03-31-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by custom001
which one?
I don't know... what were we talking about again? Is this about Halle Berry?
Old 03-31-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I missed the part about them destroying Toy Story?
Old 03-31-04, 07:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, this forum has hit a brand-new low...bashing a movie that isn't even in pre-production.
Old 03-31-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - I'll take it a step further and go on record as saying that the next Disney movie that they haven't even thought up yet sucks.
Old 03-31-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Damnit Di$ney pisses me off.
Old 03-31-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Bahhhh...leave it alone. Maybe Tom Hanks and Tim Allen will have some pride and refuse to do this without Pixar involved. Well...Tom Hanks might do that.
That is what I was thinking. I can see Hanks bowing down, but Tim Allen needs and takes all the work he can get, so I see him on board regardless.

One Pixar voice staple that I would think would step down from this is John Ratzenberger(Hamm). He seems to be in Pixar's pocket more than Disney's.
Old 03-31-04, 08:56 AM

I'm sure it will be okay, After all it was Disney who produced the first 2. They are just using another animation firm to put it together. From what I hear they have some pretty stong animation firms working for them in Pixar's place.
Old 03-31-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Next will be a direct to video of sequeal of Finding Nemo. This time Nemo all grown up and lose one of his siblings.
Old 03-31-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
So Di$ney will break into my house and DESTROY my Toy Story 1 and 2 DVDs then??
Old 03-31-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I missed the part about them destroying Toy Story?
I think he means the franchise itself.
Old 03-31-04, 12:09 PM

Why not give Disney a chance to see if they can get it to work instead of bashing the idea?
Old 03-31-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because that would leave them with nothing to bash.
Old 03-31-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tom and Tim should say they would love to bring Toy Story to a conclusion by doing TS3, but only if Pixar is brought back into the production and that Pixar would have the same rights as befor.

What would Disney say, can they make TS3 with Tom and Tim?
Old 03-31-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
That is what I was thinking. I can see Hanks bowing down, but Tim Allen needs and takes all the work he can get, so I see him on board regardless.
I don't think Tim Allen actually needs work. He made a fortune doing Home Improvement, where he made over a million an episode for at least the last few seasons, and he also pulled triple duty by being a writer and producer. All that would lead to a very lucrative syndication contract. He's probably pulling a huge amount of money right now just from the multiple daily showings of the show. All his other projects like the Toy Story and Santa Clause franchises are just more money on the pile.
Old 03-31-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The two don't need the work and it's pretty clear that they can find a cheap subtitle if they aren't attached to do the voices.
Old 03-31-04, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mmconhea
They are just using another animation firm to put it together. From what I hear they have some pretty stong animation firms working for them in Pixar's place.
It's not about animation it's about STORY. Pixar films aren't great because of the animation, they're great because the stories are great. Disney has fantastic animation abilities. Their animation looks better than anyone else. It's their stories that suck.
Old 03-31-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Disney has fantastic animation abilities. Their animation looks better than anyone else. It's their stories that suck.
Um, just off the top of my head, how about The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Snow White, Dumbo, Bambi, Fantasia, Cinderella, Pinocchio, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, Lilo and Stitch?

(and yes, they aren't all 100% original stories, maybe not all A+ movies, many based on fairy tales, but overall I still think Disney had had more hits than misses despite the rather poor track record the past decade or so.)
Old 03-31-04, 04:01 PM
Banned

I say Disney sucks and he pulls Pinocchio out of his ass as an example of how they rule. I mean't they suck now. Here. Today. Their last 5 or 6 films have been sub-par in the story department.

Even some of their cannonized classics lag in the story department. Sleeping Beauty and Alice in Wonderland are some of the greatest animation ever, but have serious deficiencies in their stories. But that's another issue and I don't know why I brought it up.

The fact of the matter is that of course they USED TO weave great stories. They tell awful stories now.

Last edited by Pants; 03-31-04 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-31-04, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lilo and Stitch had a great story, as did The Emperor's New Groove (well, not so much a great story as tons of amazing gags, but I own it and watch it a lot).

They're still capable of making good movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.