Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Denzel Washington has Man of Fire Scenes Cut?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Denzel Washington has Man of Fire Scenes Cut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denzel Washington has interracial love scenes cut?

Oscar winner Denzel Washington has denied reports he insisted a love scene be cut from his new film Man On Fire, because he was concerned about the interracial relationship. Despite reports Washington was worried about the reaction from his female black fans to his sex scenes with Phone Booth star Radha Mitchell, the actor's representative insists his client would not have asked for the cuts. However, Julia Roberts claimed Washington asked for their love scenes to be cut from 1993's Pelican Brief, and the star was also said to have asked for similar scenes with Mimi Rogers to be edited out from 1989's The Mighty Quinn after black women howled their disapproval during test screenings. A representative for Man On Fire makers Fox 2000 Pictures told The Scoop website, "I don't think there was any agenda. And if there was, I probably wouldn't tell you."
Old 04-29-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Evil Conrad left out, of course, was his source...

... the IMDb.

Conrad, you should take the news section of the IMDb with a grain of salt. It's tabloid rubbish. While I don't doubt the possibility of the scene's existence - why hasn't it been reported on other, more reputable sources?
Old 04-29-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think its because of color. There wasn't a place in the movie where a sex scene would have fit. It would have been poor pacing. Maybe he noticed that. Or maybe I'm wrong and Denzel is afraid of what black women might think of him.
Old 04-29-04, 09:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think Denzel has the power to demand that this scene or that be cut from films he's in. If he did, he would have certainly cut the entirety of Virtuosity.
Old 04-29-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A scene like that in the movie would have done serious damage to his character and his likeability, so if the scene exists, it does not surprise me it was cut.
Old 04-29-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If he has a problem with them, why would he shoot them in the first place?
Well, I suppose it WOULD be fun to roll around with that lady from Pitch Black for a day of shooting...
Old 04-29-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by filmerp
If he has a problem with them, why would he shoot them in the first place?
yeah.. why not just put it in his contracts.. just like actresses have "no nudity" clauses, he could have a "no interracial love scenes" clause in his standard contract or something..
Old 04-29-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
agreed. if that scene was in the film, I would have hated it. No because of race, but because what it does to the character. This guy getting some tang on the side of getting revenge.. just doesn't work.
Old 04-30-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
If the scenes exist they certainly wouldn't have fit into the pacing of the film or with the character.

It's also funny because I remember Julia Roberts on Inside the Actor's Studio saying the reason the relationship was cut in that film was because everyone realized not enough time had passed between her character's boyfriend being blown to bits and when the relationship would have started. Guess the IMDB don't watch that show.
Old 04-30-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
What Evil Conrad left out, of course, was his source...

... the IMDb.

Conrad, you should take the news section of the IMDb with a grain of salt. It's tabloid rubbish. While I don't doubt the possibility of the scene's existence - why hasn't it been reported on other, more reputable sources?
Here we go again with Imdb is wrong..

-Maybe- he didn't do it in this movie but it's no secret Denzel Washington has problems with interracial love scenes in his movies. I've heard this over the years and I remember having a discussion about this with a whtie female friend who felt he was being racist.

Eriq La Salle(ER, Biker Boyz, Coming To America) is another black male who has a problem. Eriq had the writers on ER end the interracial relationship with Alex Kingston's ( a very fine white woman)character on the show.

Black Groups also tend to give black actors shit for stuff like that believe it or not in this day and age. It's like blacks have come this far only to be pushed back in time by their own people.

Lame lame lame.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-30-04 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Here we go again with Imdb is wrong..
Did I say the IMDb is wrong? No, I said the NEWS SECTION of the IMDb is TABLOID RUBBISH. Doesn't make it wrong, right or cheese-flavored. It's just an online column distilled from the same shite in the National Enquirer, the Sun etc.
Old 04-30-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen it, but wasn't there a scene with him and Milla Jovovich in He Got Game? It would seem odd that he would selectively choose like that... oh yeah, and the IMDB Celebrity "News" as a source isn't the best, it's actually right down there with any tabloid trash. However, I find Studio Briefing to be quite accurate and an enjoyable read
Old 04-30-04, 01:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo

Black Groups also tend to give black actors shit for stuff like that believe it or not in this day and age. It's like black shave come this far only to be pushed back in time by their own people.

Lame lame lame.
I was reading an article on this subject just the other day (I can track it down if someone like's). Anyway, it basically said that the two groups who most oppose interracial relationships in this day and age are black women and Asian men.

I haven't seen MoF yet, but from the words said thus far, I can see where a love scene would have hurt the film.
Old 09-07-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, any news on whether or not these "scenes" - if they exist - will show up on the DVD or anything?
Old 09-07-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ive always heard that Denzel wasnt too fond on love scenes with ANY of his co-stars. Realizing that it is necessary in some films, hes goes through with it, but tries to make them as tame as possible (alot more suggestive than many other actors). I cant comment on any of his recent films cuz I havent saw them, but this is the case with a good portion of his films. This stems from his relationship with his wife and not wanting anything uncomfortable or questionable to exist. There may be exceptions in some of his films (possibly depending on the necessity of a love scene and the extent to which it MUST go), but Ive always been under the impression that this has been his standard regardless of the actress' race.
Old 09-07-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally posted by gmal2003
Ive always heard that Denzel wasnt too fond on love scenes with ANY of his co-stars. Realizing that it is necessary in some films, hes goes through with it, but tries to make them as tame as possible (alot more suggestive than many other actors). I cant comment on any of his recent films cuz I havent saw them, but this is the case with a good portion of his films. This stems from his relationship with his wife and not wanting anything uncomfortable or questionable to exist. There may be exceptions in some of his films (possibly depending on the necessity of a love scene and the extent to which it MUST go), but Ive always been under the impression that this has been his standard regardless of the actress' race.
That's also been my assumption.

Spike Lee writes in length in his book about the making of Mo' Better Blues that Denzel was a pain during the sex scenes, refusing to do a lot of what had been planned. And these were all scenes with black actresses.
Old 09-07-04, 01:56 PM

It wouldn't suprise me if this is true, because I know many black women HATE seeing black men with white women. It's been like since I was in high school.
Old 09-07-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did he screw a white girl in He Got Game?

can't remember. been a long time since I saw that one.

-------------

Apart from lovemaking with women, he has stated that he could have done the Tom Hanks role in Philadelphia, but he didn't want his kids to get laughed at in school for him playing a gay character.

This was on one of that People In The News show on one of those news stations on tv.

He also told Will Smith that he should not kiss or simulate sex with a man on screen (for his film Six Degrees of Separation).

But you can't blame just him. Tom Hanks refused to even kiss Antonio Banderas.
Old 09-07-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He was with a white woman in Malcolm X of all movies. This really sound like much to fo about nothing.

And yeah conscience he did hook up with a white prostitute in He Got Game.
Old 09-08-04, 09:43 AM

I've also heard that he has difficulty with love scenes in general. I heard he wouldn't even take his shirt off in the scenes in Mo Better Blues, while the actress had to get naked.
Old 09-08-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wazootyman
I haven't seen it, but wasn't there a scene with him and Milla Jovovich in He Got Game? It would seem odd that he would selectively choose like that... oh yeah, and the IMDB Celebrity "News" as a source isn't the best, it's actually right down there with any tabloid trash. However, I find Studio Briefing to be quite accurate and an enjoyable read
hell, i'm white and i'd bang milla.
Old 09-08-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
did he screw a white girl in He Got Game?

can't remember. been a long time since I saw that one.

Yes, he got with Mila Jolavich.
Old 09-09-04, 12:40 AM

I thought in Traning Day his GF was a hispanic white....and she had a full frontal nude scene.Maybe I am wrong
Old 09-09-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kumar J
I thought in Traning Day his GF was a hispanic white....and she had a full frontal nude scene.Maybe I am wrong
"Hispanic white"?

She's nude, but very briefly and you don't get to see much.
Old 09-09-04, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Kumar J
I thought in Traning Day his GF was a hispanic white....
Huh???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.