Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-28-04, 12:03 AM   #1
Jepthah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gangster No. 1 (Malcolm McDowell & Paul Bettany)

Damn.

Every once in a while a movie featuring an 'anti-hero' type character comes along and kicks my ass.

Well, the namesake of this film is the anti-hero to end all anti-heroes. McDowell as the older and Bettany as the younger play one of the most evil characters in my memory--a sadistic, power-mad, ruthless London gangster who stops at nothing to be #1.

I hate Paul Bettany. First he impressed me in the otherwise mediocre A Beautiful Mind. Then he married Jennifer. (OK, it's not an acting comment, but I had to say it.) And after his awesome supporting turn in Master & Commander and now this--he is one of the BEST young actors working today. He embodies the younger McDowell, even though they look so different. Uncanny. And it was McDowell's strongest performance in years.

Check this one out...I'm not even a fan especially of English crime films but this one is more than a genre piece. Well done, Paul McGuigan.

Has anyone else seen this?
"If a sufficient number of people who wanted to stop war really did gather together, they would first of all begin by making war upon those who disagreed with them. And it is still more certain that they would make war on people who also want to stop wars but in another way." -- Gurdjieff
Old 04-28-04, 12:19 AM   #2
RyoHazuki
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking about picking this up blind for several months now. I might need to sell some stuff so I can get this movie. Sounds really good.

- Neil Hamburger
Xbox Live: CookinBooks
Old 04-28-04, 12:39 AM   #3
Caliking
DVD Talk Special Edition

its a pretty good flick. my brother loves it. definately one of the better brit gangster flicks in a while. check it if you havent seen it
Old 04-28-04, 01:22 AM   #4
Shamu

I thought it was alright.....picked it up as a blind buy a while ago.
Old 04-28-04, 11:10 AM   #5
Geofferson

I've wanted to see this for a while - I may rent it over the weekend.