Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Love then Hate

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Love then Hate

First.....this is not a rip off of Seantn's re-watch thread, as I actually wanted to post this earlier.

Are there any movies that you first loved upon first viewing them and then ended up hating a while after? The reasons could vary form anything such as not really noticing how bad a few scenes were to wondering how you ended up loving it so much in the first place.

Here's a few of mine:

Fight Club: Loved it the first time I saw it and then turned away after noticing just how bad Brad Pitt's acting really was - it just got more annoying everytime I watched it.

Boogie Nights: was totally hooked until I realized the last half of the movie was totally pointless IMO (and it got more boring after each view.....the second half that is).

Memento: I liked it after a first view but couldn't even watch it half way through the second time.

I know there others out there that know what I'm talking about, it's not that we weren't paying attention or anything during the first view - it's more of an issue where we might have been taken away by one aspect of the movie and just didn't care for anything else at certain moments during the film (I've had a ton of people tell me they felt this way about the first Matrix - they were so blown away by the story and FX that upon a second viewing, they couldn't stand a lot of what was going on).
Old 04-27-04, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matrix revolutions, I was on a testosterone high when I saw it in the theater but watching it on DVD I noticed how BAD it is.
Old 04-27-04, 01:33 PM

Rival11, that is really bizarre. All 3 movies you named fall in the category of "gets better with each watching" for me. Particularly Fight Club, I didn't care much for it the first time I watched it, now I really enjoy it.
Old 04-27-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
When I saw Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES in the theater, I enjoyed it. When I got it on DVD, I could barely sit through it all again...the popcorn must have been really good that day, or something.
Old 04-27-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superman 2
Return of The Jedi
Batman
Batman Returns

S2 was the only one i've gone from love to hate with.
the others were films i was extremely pumped to see, and was predisposed to liking, and though i didn't leave the theater hating them outright, my appreciation for them still diminished greatly with sucsessive viewings.

and i hate them now
Old 04-27-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by soxfandoug
Rival11, that is really bizarre. All 3 movies you named fall in the category of "gets better with each watching" for me. Particularly Fight Club, I didn't care much for it the first time I watched it, now I really enjoy it.
I know - It still baffles me how I loved them in the first place!!
Old 04-27-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Forrest Gump. I didn't want to see this at all, but I was forced to go and loved it. Watched it again on HBO and hated it. I still like the anti-war rally scene in Washington DC though.
Old 04-27-04, 03:30 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Memento
American Beauty

Two of the more overrated films of recent years. Can't say that I loved them the first time I saw them, but I liked them quite a bit.

As for Fight Club, for me it's more like, loved it, now I love the first half and don't care much for the last half or so.
Old 04-27-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
As far as your three examples go, I agree with you 100% on Memento but as much as I liked Fight Club and Boogie Nights the first time I saw them, I've grown to love them even more with subsequent viewings (especially the latter film). They always get better for me, and I never get sick of watching them.
Old 04-27-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan

As for Fight Club, for me it's more like, loved it, now I love the first half and don't care much for the last half or so. [/B]
Couldn't agree more. This film falls apart when Project Mayhem begins. I can watch up to that point all day long, but afterwards I can't stand it.

I think my appreciation for The Matrix has dropped ALOT since I saw Reloaded, and I haven't even bothered with
Revolutions.

Even if I like a movie, though, I don't watch it ALL THE TIME. I own them so I can watch them when I please, but if I watch it too often I'll get tired of it, much like happened with
O, Brother, Where Art Thou and Old School. Not that I dislike them, I just don't enjoy watching them as much anymore.
Old 04-27-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say Spiderman for me. I liked it when I watched it in the theatre, but now, I just dont know what I liked about it at the time. I think it is one of the worst comic book adaptations made.
Old 04-28-04, 04:29 AM

Couldn't agree more. This film falls apart when Project Mayhem begins. I can watch up to that point all day long, but afterwards I can't stand it.
I had a similar reaction after seeing Fight Club the second time.
Although I have nothing bad to say about Brad Pitt.

The first time, my jaw literally dropped for most of the film, and I was really blown away by its audacity. And that Pixies song...forget about it.

The second time around, I realized that in the end it's ultimately about seeming provacative rather than being as such; in reality, it really has nothing to say. That ending, which seemed so powerful the first time around, seemed awfully hollow and trite- a beautiful cinematic image, maybe, but also a complete cop-out.
Old 04-28-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know if this counts due to the gap in time and age, but I remember loving Popeye when it came out in 1980 (I was four years old). When the DVD was released last year, I watched it and hated it.
Old 04-28-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ckolchak and I seem to have something in common (besides an admiration for Darren McGavin hunting monsters)...

I also vote for Batman and Batman Returns, especially the latter. I really liked both movies at first, but subsequent viewings just made them worse and worse. I find that a lot of Tim Burton movies do this for me (Beetlejuice is another example).
Old 04-28-04, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Spider-Man

Minority Report. I don't know what I saw in that movie the 1st time I watched it. Hokey backpack rockets. A car having a full gas tank at the end of the assembly line. Tom Cruise is a dork. His wife getting him out of jail. The way way too long ending. It goes on and on...I need some wine with all the cheese going on

:-)
Old 04-28-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cokekiller
Spider-Man

Minority Report. I don't know what I saw in that movie the 1st time I watched it. Hokey backpack rockets. A car having a full gas tank at the end of the assembly line. Tom Cruise is a dork. His wife getting him out of jail. The way way too long ending. It goes on and on...I need some wine with all the cheese going on

:-)
I know - I caught all those as well - but you left out the rocket pack setting the burgers (I think was burgers) on fire - too cliche.
Old 04-29-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Final Destination. Now every time I see it, it gets the MST3k treatment.
Old 04-29-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Gladiator the first time I saw it. Now, after seeing it about three or four times, I can't stand it and consider it insanely overrated.
Old 04-29-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved The Truman Show when I first saw it in the theater. I really didn't care for it when I later rented it. I was sick upon my second viewing so that probably altered my mood alot.