Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Travers loses his mind...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peter Travers loses his mind...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Not to mention...Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a very unique film.
That's the funniest thing I've read all year.
Old 04-25-04, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ckolchak
it's only unique if you haven't seen the dozens upon dozens of other exploitation films Tarantino is riffing off.

yes, the anime interludes and B&W sequences, etc, etc seem unique, but this is hardly the first film to use them.

hell- even Xanadu had a sequence where the main characters were represented in an animated sequence.
Some tard in one of my classes was saying how Kill Bill was unique and that Tarantino created a new genre with this film because of "the anime interludes and B&W sequences, etc, etc".
Old 04-25-04, 01:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
hell- even Xanadu had a sequence where the main characters were represented in an animated sequence.
And Annie Hall before that.

Kill Bill might be an amalgam of different sources, but the point is that they mesh into a whole, and transcend their respective genres.
Old 04-25-04, 01:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Another riff on Annie Hall was having the adult actor sitting in their grade school class.
Old 04-25-04, 01:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Groucho
Another riff on Annie Hall was having the adult actor sitting in their grade school class.
Ahh, I didn't think about that. Good eye. Not only that, but the subject matter of both sequences dealt with sex. One of the girls in Kill Bill was named "Melanie Whorehouse" and in Annie Hall, Alvy debates with his teacher about his early blooming sexuality, and another kid says "I'm into leather."
Old 04-25-04, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Kill Bill might be an amalgam of different sources, but the point is that they mesh into a whole, and transcend their respective genres."

It hardly transcends genre in the way Tarantino's idols Kurasawa or Leone did, which is the depressing part: Pulp Fiction showed Tarantino wanting to transcend genre, whereas KB shows him wanting to worship it fetishistically.
Old 04-25-04, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Inverse
"Kill Bill might be an amalgam of different sources, but the point is that they mesh into a whole, and transcend their respective genres."

It hardly transcends genre in the way Tarantino's idols Kurasawa or Leone did, which is the depressing part: Pulp Fiction showed Tarantino wanting to transcend genre, whereas KB shows him wanting to worship it fetishistically.
I have to say I disagree. It certainly transcends the genre as much as much as Sanjuro or A Fistful of Dollars. The difference is that Kurosawa and Leone looked at the genre as a whole and made a film in that style, whereas Quentin referenced specific things from different movies. That doesn't make his film any less transcendent than Kurosawa or Leone.
Old 04-25-04, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I remember his review of Hannibal where he said it was better than The Silence of the Lambs.
Incorrect. I very clearly remember his Hannibal review where he started off by saying it was NOT as good as Silence.
Old 04-25-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember his review of Hannibal where he said it was better than The Silence of the Lambs.
Copied and pasted directly from Travers' review of "Hannibal":

Here are three things you can safely know before seeing Hannibal the movie: 1) It's better than the 1999 Harris novel that became a best seller despite an ending that gave literary critics indigestion.

2) It's not better than "The Silence of the Lambs," the 1991 film that preceded it, because that Oscar-winning thriller elevated grisly material to something artful and resonant.

3) It's unmissable, flaws and all, because riveting suspense spiced with diabolical laughs and garnished with a sprig of kinky romance add up to the tastiest dish around.
Old 04-25-04, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Ohh, that's right. I remember now. I thought he was crazy for saying it was better than the novel. The ending in the novel is inspired. The ending of the movie is formulaic.

So he's not quite as crazy as I thought. That doesn't change the fact that he's a terrible writer, though.
Old 04-25-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So he's not quite as crazy as I thought.
No, he is!

Actually, I think "pretentious ass" is a more apt description. I subscribed to Rolling Stone for years and it didn't take long before I was able to predict exactly how Travers would review a particular movie. It was as if he had made up his mind before he saw it as to whether or not it fell into his definition of cinematic art.