Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fat Albert starring Aaron Carter? WTH?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000491909

April 21, 2004

Five belly up to live-action 'Albert' at Fox

Aaron Carter, Dania Ramirez, Nick Zano, Derek Watkins and Alice Greczyn have joined the cast of 20th Century Fox's live-action "Fat Albert" for helmer Joel Zwick. Shooting in Los Angeles on the Paramount Pictures back lot, the project is based on the stand-up comedy monologues of Bill Cosby about his childhood in Philadelphia and the cartoon "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids." The John Davis-produced film is toplined by "Saturday Night Live" regular Kenan Thompson alongside Shedrack Anderson III as Ruby, Jermaine Williams as Mushmouth, Keith Robinson as Bill, Alphonso McAuley as Bucky, Aaron Frazier as Old Weird Harold, Marques Houston as Dumb Donald, Kyla Pratt as Doris, former B2K member Omarion as Reggie and J Mack Slaughter as Arthur.
Old 04-21-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the show when I was kid, but do we really need a movie? This might be just as bad as the He-Man movie.
Old 04-21-04, 12:24 PM
Banned

I think this is one of the Nickelodeon produced movies. I don't think I've seen one yey and I doubt I'll see this one. Oh wait I saw Good Burger but I can't remember what its about.
Old 04-21-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This movie will bomb. No kid today has any idea who Fat Albert is, and no grownup is going to care. And heck, the cartoon wasn't all that good anyway!
Old 04-21-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You would think the producers would take Bill Cosby's advice:

If you're not careful, you might just learn something.

I wonder who's going to play the Brown Hornet?
Old 04-21-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
HEY!HEY!HEY!

Old 04-21-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lunacy!
Old 04-21-04, 12:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Aaron Carter? Who?
Old 04-21-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mushmouth!
Old 04-21-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bad idea
Old 04-21-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not going to say that this movie is going to be great or anything, but Kenan looks a lot like Albert.
Old 04-21-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I'm not going to say that this movie is going to be great or anything, but Kenan looks a lot like Albert.
I agree, but that's not a very good thing... for him anyway.
Old 04-21-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully they'll tie this in with an appearance by the Partridge Family and the Brady Kids with a musical face-off in the garage.
Old 10-09-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Ha'e ya'll seented da trailah yo?

Here it is

It sounded cool UNTIL it's revealed in the trailer that Albert and the gang will come from the TV into 2004 like some Twilight Zone demensional bullshit. I woulda preferred they just set it in the 70's. Plus, Bill Cosby is in it and frankly, for the last 20 + years Bill Cosby in a movie usually spells trouble.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-09-04 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit. It's like The Brady Bunch Movie just a whole lot shittier!
Old 10-09-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only part of the trailer that made me laugh was when the guy asked Donald what was on his head. The rest makes the film look atrocious.
Old 10-09-04, 03:42 PM

the only thing that would make the movie funny would to put Aaron Carter in blackface, since he's a whitey
Old 10-09-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
oh my - bill cosby is in it... he's the kiss of death for movies, isn't he?
Old 10-09-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a generic trailer. Do they have a machine that makes trailers like this now?
Old 10-09-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed that there is a Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids DVD being released in December to tie in with the film.

Does anyone remember the original Hey, Hey, Hey - It's Fat Albert TV special? It had a very distinctive animation style, not at all like FAatCK. I would love to see that again ... based on the information below, it was probably in the early 70s when I saw it as a kid ... so I guess you'd have to be a real old-timer to recall this ...

http://www.tvparty.com/satfat.html

The first special, "Hey, Hey, Hey - It's Fat Albert," looked totally different from the familiar Filmation style to come. To cut costs, animator Ken Mundie eliminated a couple of steps from the traditional process of animation. Instead of drawing on paper, transferring the images to a cel and then having everything inked and painted, Mundie and his crew drew directly onto cels with grease pencils.

A similar rough style can be seen in Mundie's animated opening to the TV series "Wild Wild West."

"It was rough but it worked," Mundie said. "I thought it worked."

"Ken was always the artist-illustrator-maverick-hippie-flower child," said Leo Sullivan, an animator on the special. "He wanted to do things the unconventional way of animation." Mundie had come to the attention of Cosby with his independent film "The Door," a 1968 pro-peace short about two Indians given a glimpse into mankind's future. Given a budget of just $80,000 and an old cartoon studio on Melrose Avenue previously used to make Clutch Cargo, Mundie gathered six animators for the special, set to air in just six months. The animators worked 18-hour days.

COSBY TAKES AN ACTIVE ROLE

But Cosby didn't like the early work on the special. He rejected Mundie's original vision of how the characters should look.

"The first bunch that I designed were a little rough looking," Mundie said, "because I went back to my background. I'm from Detroit. The neighborhood kids were a little bit rougher. He didn't want that. He wanted them to be more a fun bunch of kids."

Cosby also told the animators how he wanted the characters to walk, demonstrating what he meant. "He'd say, 'You know a guy walks different when he's in his neighborhood than he does when he's downtown with the white folks,'" Mundie said.

"Hey, Hey, Hey" blended live-action and animation. Mundie used footage of Philadelphia as background. During shots of Fat Albert running, Mundie interspersed footage of buildings collapsing.

The Mundie-designed Fat Albert truly was obese. The Filmation version was a slimmed-down version. Fat Albert's size proved the crux of the special. Taunted by his friends because of his size, Fat Albert sat out of a football game against a rival neighborhood team. But he shrugged off the insults to play and win the game.

Cosby provided other important roles as well. He got Herbie Hancock to write and record the music. And he found the children who would round out the cast.

Cosby gathered a cast of children - the average age was 14 - to give voice to the characters he wasn't portraying. As in the TV series to come, Cosby played the key parts of Fat Albert and Bill. But getting professional performances of these children proved difficult; they were stiff at the recording session, until Cosby stepped in.

"Instead of having the kids simply read their lines into the microphone, Cosby gave them something to respond to," TV Guide reported before the premier of "Hey, Hey, Hey." "When the script called for shouts of encouragement, Cosby got realism by arm-wrestling one of his youthful actors - promising to treat the gang to movies if the youngster could beat him. When cheers of victory were needed for Fat Albert's touchdown run in a game of street football, Cosby galloped about the studio, dodging chairs."

To get the right sound for the character of Russell, portrayed as bundled in a heavy winter coat, his mouth obscured by a scarf, Cosby draped a jacket over the young actor's head.

NBC ran the special two more times after its initial airing, on Nov. 12, 1969, and expectations were that NBC would pick up the idea for the Saturday morning series. But the planned emphasis on education apparently turned NBC and then ABC against the show. That left CBS.
Old 10-09-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The billboards have gotten me sick already.
Old 10-09-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Why isn't Fat Albert fat? He looks like Needs to Drop a Pound or Two Albert. And for that matter, why does he have a stiffie?

This movie will blow dead goats.
Old 10-09-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, what a shame. I was looking forward to the Forest Whitaker directed F A movie, but I can see why he and Cosby couldn't get along. This looks like dookie.
Old 10-10-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tdirgins
You would think the producers would take Bill Cosby's advice:

If you're not careful, you might just learn something.

I wonder who's going to play the Brown Hornet?
Exactly what I was thinking. *catches basketball from offstage*

Brown Hornet was the bomb, yo.
Old 10-10-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Aaron Carter leads a group of meancing whites into the hood to start a race war, but Fat Albert keeps the peace and brings the laughs by breaking every piece of furniture he sits on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.