Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Challenge Week 7: Martial Arts Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Challenge Week 7: Martial Arts Films

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should see it in color.
oh and groucho, where are ya for pt 8. i've been enjoyin these, hope your not slackin off.
Old 04-26-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
I'm not a big fan of that one. The ladder fight is by far the highlight for me.

I don't know a lot of obscure ones. Most of my tastes run pretty mainstream.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the martial arts in Brotherhood of the Wolf. It really comes out of nowhere, but the look, sound and feel of the movie make it a blast to see.
Yea, the ladder fight was the best part. Which do you think is Chan's best? I think the only other one I've seen start-to-finish is Shanghai Noon (and Cannonball Run, which I wouldn't count).
Old 04-26-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
Yea, the ladder fight was the best part. Which do you think is Chan's best? I think the only other one I've seen start-to-finish is Shanghai Noon (and Cannonball Run, which I wouldn't count).
My personal favorite is Drunken Master 2 aka The Legend of Drunken Master. Many awsome fight scenes escalating to a crazy ending.
Old 04-26-04, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
oh and groucho, where are ya for pt 8. i've been enjoyin these, hope your not slackin off.
Maybe he's busy again. You should guest host for him this week Rypro.
Old 04-27-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by karnblack
My personal favorite is Drunken Master 2 aka The Legend of Drunken Master. Many awsome fight scenes escalating to a crazy ending.
Agreed. I also like Supercop. Lots of great fights in there and Michelle Yeoh is pretty badass too.
Old 04-27-04, 07:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger

The only negative is that the big fight scene against an army was dull. The fight choreography wasn't that great, and I'm rarely impressed by the hero defeating faceless minions.
Originally posted by Rypro 525
I agree Rypro, my copy of the R2 uncut edition came last Friday and I fired this puppy up late that night and wow! Not only is the colour very effective, the editing is tighter, more gore, and as another DVDTalk member also noted, the little sparks from the swords that is lost in the B/W version is quite cool.
Old 04-30-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched Police Story with Jackie Chan. I had to check it out from my library, and it was a dubbed, full-screen videotape.

I really enjoyed the film, although I probably would have liked it even more in widescreen with the original language and subtitles. It seemed like there were some sharp cuts in it, leading me to wonder if it was edited (New Line Home Video.)

I enjoy martial arts films, although I have seen all of the ones I own, and I can't buy any new ones right now.

I also have Drunken Master and Legend of Drunken Master coming from the library, and I will watch those soon.
Old 04-30-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
legend of drunken master, while oar, is missing a joke or two and is dubbed.

watched yojimbo.pretty good movie, def. liked seven samauri better, and i haven't seen fistfull of dollars yet, so maybe i can't appriciate it until i do.