Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Master and Commander"..should have stayed on the far side of the world!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Master and Commander"..should have stayed on the far side of the world!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didnt bother reading all these posts but its a good movie. I highly enjoyed it.
Old 04-21-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 0.02

Good movie? mmmmmm it's OK. definately entertaining. One of the top 5 of the year and deserving of a best picture nomination? No. As much as I tried to like it it just didn't connect with me. Would I pick up a DVD? In a few months maybe.
Old 04-21-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
M&C has one of the best DTS tracks my sound system has ever worked. I honestly thought I was in the middle of a ship battle at the beginning. The BG sounds were so clear that it makes you feel like you're on the ship with them at times.

That said, I disagree with the statement about he marketing department doing their job. What they did might have helped it open respectably, but it seems departments seldom think beyond opening weekend nowadays. By deliberately misleading viewers with the ads, the backlash of seeing what it truly was really hurt the word of mouth factor on the movie, which is what a movie needs to carry it to true success.
Old 04-21-04, 09:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
jough, supermallet, dr. dvd, salty, pants..you are all such freaking morons and have so much free time on your hands that all you need to do is comment on issues you know nothing about.

to take a critique of a movie where there was perhaps 1 spelling error or 1 misused word and turn it into what you say is a dismal state of education speaks to the narrow mindedness and low esteem you place on yourselves. to berate someone and something you probably know nothing about is apalling and frankly sick, especially in a forum that is meant as an open discussion for movies, film, dvd, and the like. i don't have to sit here and read through or post my credentials or teaching certification to quell the thoughts of a few low lifes.

my original post was i didn't like "Master and Commander" because... and that was it. you people are absolutely insane to take it and bash the way you have. you should be ashamed and i hope a moderator sees the disparaging remarks and closes this thread and ultimately suspends your accounts for a time as this has gotten so far out of control it simply is ridiculous! thanks.
Old 04-21-04, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Let's all give it up for scott1598, gentlemen.

[applause]
Old 04-21-04, 11:13 AM
Banned

scott:

Right above the "control" key and just to the left of "Z" is a button called "Shift". You might consider using it sometime.

As for whether I'm qualified to discuss education; I think that spending 17 years in school, from kindergarten through college, qualifies me just fine.
Old 04-21-04, 11:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
scott:

Right above the "control" key and just to the left of "Z" is a button called "Shift". You might consider using it sometime.

As for whether I'm qualified to discuss education; I think that spending 17 years in school, from kindergarten through college, qualifies me just fine.
i don't think going through school in the 1940's is really relevant to today...at least that is where your narrow thinking seems to be derived from!
Old 04-21-04, 11:18 AM

My problem with scott1598's review is that he liked Hildago better than Master and Commander. Hildalgo was Horse$&*#!
Old 04-21-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
jough, supermallet, dr. dvd, salty, pants..you are all such freaking morons and have so much free time on your hands that all you need to do is comment on issues you know nothing about.
Coming from the guy with 3.87 posts per day
Old 04-21-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Is that limited to here or everywhere else we post as well?

If moron=people with a lot of free time on their hands that all they need to do is comment on issues they know nothing about, then a majority of the internet community could be called morons.
Old 04-21-04, 12:24 PM
Banned

i don't think going through school in the 1940's is really relevant to today...at least that is where your narrow thinking seems to be derived from!
If you must know I graduated college in 2001. I'm 25 years old. How old are you?
Old 04-21-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Weir did a great job melding the stories from these two books. The prose is "dense" for lack of a better word. They paint a very detailed look at life at sea and I think the film really captures the essence of both stories.

If you want you characters "fleshed out", I highly recommend the books. There are at least 5 or 6 plot lines that were not shown in the movie.

Spoiler:
For example, Dr. maturin is a spy.
Old 04-21-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

to take a critique of a movie where there was perhaps 1 spelling error or 1 misused word and turn it into what you say is a dismal state of education speaks to the narrow mindedness and low esteem you place on yourselves. to berate someone and something you probably know nothing about is apalling and frankly sick, especially in a forum that is meant as an open discussion for movies, film, dvd, and the like. i don't have to sit here and read through or post my credentials or teaching certification to quell the thoughts of a few low lifes.

my original post was i didn't like "Master and Commander" because... and that was it. you people are absolutely insane to take it and bash the way you have. you should be ashamed and i hope a moderator sees the disparaging remarks and closes this thread and ultimately suspends your accounts for a time as this has gotten so far out of control it simply is ridiculous! thanks.
Whether you teach or not, you seem to have the mentality of a child.
Old 04-21-04, 01:23 PM
Registered

and scene.....