Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an advance screening of The Punisher and the problem with it is that it looked so low budget and cheaply made I thought it was a USA original movie. Also, John Travolta must STOP playing villians. He tries to be over the top. The same villian he plays here is the same villian in Broken Arrow and Face/Off. Thomas Jane isn't terrible as The Punisher he just isn't that great. He doesn't really seem menacing he just talks in a deep voice. Laura Harring is completely wasted. In fact I'd be surpised if she has a page of dialogue all together in the whole movie. When "The Russian" aka Kevin Nash came out people starting yelling Popeye. And for those of you familiar with the comic Harry Heck make an apperance but it is never clear why he is there. I give the movie ZERO stars. This is the worst comic book adaptation since Batman & Robin.
Old 04-15-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-notrolls-
Old 04-15-04, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
-notrolls-
Why am I a troll? I actually did see the movie and I do believe it was bad. I guarantee by Saturday people on the board who saw it will agree. I'm just warning you beforehand.
Old 04-16-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EvilConradBain
Why am I a troll? I actually did see the movie and I do believe it was bad. I guarantee by Saturday people on the board who saw it will agree. I'm just warning you beforehand.
I don't get it either Evil Mr. D. I don't see how you are being a troll, possibly a broken fanboy dream manifesting in hostility toward you. I will see this and make my own judgement, but I'm not exciting going into it.
Old 04-16-04, 01:36 AM

Well...I've been hearing a few quite negative reviews about this movie. Not sure why any accusations of trolling are being called...all signs are pointing to this movie sucking.
Old 04-16-04, 01:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason he might think you're a troll is that your review isn't specific in any way. Personally, what you said is about what I expected from the movie, but your review is fairly generic.
Old 04-16-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Suprmallet, your review of his review left me feeling empty inside. It was cold and distant and lacked any sort of compassion. You also failed to share what you liked about it. When giving a review, you should try to point out both positive and negative aspects of it - regardless of your final decision. I did find your review to be fairly competent in terms of spelling and grammar though and I do look forward to what you might have to offer in the future. Finally, I should suggest that you might want to provide your readers with some sort of ratings scale or at least a comparison so they can put your thoughts into their own perspectives. And with that, I'd like to say your review EvilConrad's review falls just short of average when compared to most, yet it shows promise.
Old 04-16-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

I saw an advance screening of The Punisher and the problem with it is that it looked so low budget and cheaply made I thought it was a USA original movie. Also, John Travolta must STOP playing villians. He tries to be over the top. The same villian he plays here is the same villian in Broken Arrow and Face/Off. Thomas Jane isn't terrible as The Punisher he just isn't that great. He doesn't really seem menacing he just talks in a deep voice. Laura Harring is completely wasted. In fact I'd be surpised if she has a page of dialogue all together in the whole movie. When "The Russian" aka Kevin Nash came out people starting yelling Popeye. And for those of you familiar with the comic Harry Heck make an apperance but it is never clear why he is there. I give the movie ZERO stars. This is the worst comic book adaptation since Batman & Robin.
Well you didnt like it and thats ok, but I dont see any spoilers here. Anyhow Ill more than likely going to see this on the weekend, thanks for your input but you did nothing to change my mind.
Old 04-16-04, 02:12 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Trigger
Suprmallet, your review of his review left me feeling empty inside. It was cold and distant and lacked any sort of compassion. You also failed to share what you liked about it. When giving a review, you should try to point out both positive and negative aspects of it - regardless of your final decision. I did find your review to be fairly competent in terms of spelling and grammar though and I do look forward to what you might have to offer in the future. Finally, I should suggest that you might want to provide your readers with some sort of ratings scale or at least a comparison so they can put your thoughts into their own perspectives. And with that, I'd like to say your review EvilConrad's review falls just short of average when compared to most, yet it shows promise.

Very well, just for Trigger's sake:

I remember seeing Mark Goldblatt's film The Punisher on cable years ago and thinking, "Well, at least it wasn't as bad as that Captain America movie they played right before it." Beyond that, I never thought much of it. Neither did most of the American public, or the world at large. And yet, in the wake of Spider-Man's runaway success, Marvel has seen fit to create a new Punisher film. A Punisher film that will hopefully wipe away our memory of the old film and let us see the character in a new light: The light of quality.

Sadly, having seen a trailer before Hellboy (a comic book film that gets it right), I decided that The Punisher just doesn't lend himself to a good film adaptation. Frankly, I never saw the draw of the character in the first place. He's a renegade hellbent on revenge against all manner of criminal, but there isn't much to him beyond that. The most interesting take I ever saw on the character was when Marvel made a series of short-lived comics that took place in the future and gave us a "what if?" scenario to show that maybe Spider-Man and The Punisher and The Hulk don't have to die when their alter egos do.

So, expecting the worst for the film, I logged on to the DVDTalk movie forum and noticed that someone, in this case EvilConradBain, had made a thread saying that The Punisher, in his words, "sucked!" Well, no surprise there. The title alone should have warned me that the following review would not be a shining moment in world literature or even film criticism, but heedless of that, I jumped in with both feet.

What I found left me feeling more than a little disappointed. Conrad glossed over such aspects as the direction, the cinematography, the story, the editing, and really only focused on the acting. And, certainly, a discussion of the acting in a film would be a necessary component of a good review, but to neglect those other factors is a capital offense.

To be fair, he did mention the production design, likening it to a made for TV film, specifically for the USA network (which, by the way, had two of the better shows on TV in the late 90's, Weird Science and Duckman). However, he gives us no evidence to back up his claim, presuming we would simply take him on his word. In fact, this kind of thinking permeates the entire review. Conrad gives no heed to specifics of any kind, leaving us, the intended audience, to fill in the blanks. This proves to be a fruitless task, as we have not seen the film, and he has. It would not be out of line to expect a little in the way of description.

The furthest Conrad goes is to mention that Travolta's acting as a villain is comparable to his acting in other films where he plays villains. However, he immediately suggests that this is a negative, leaving people who liked Travolta in a film like Face/Off out in the cold.

Overall, I give Bain's review 10 smacks with a mallet. This grading scale supposes that getting smacked with a mallet would not be a desirable experience, and thus, the less smacks rewarded, the better the review. 10 is the maximum number of smacks.
Old 04-16-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet

Very well, just for Trigger's sake:

I remember seeing Mark Goldblatt's film The Punisher on cable years ago and thinking, "Well, at least it wasn't as bad as that Captain America movie they played right before it." Beyond that, I never thought much of it. Neither did most of the American public, or the world at large. And yet, in the wake of Spider-Man's runaway success, Marvel has seen fit to create a new Punisher film. A Punisher film that will hopefully wipe away our memory of the old film and let us see the character in a new light: The light of quality.

Sadly, having seen a trailer before Hellboy (a comic book film that gets it right), I decided that The Punisher just doesn't lend himself to a good film adaptation. Frankly, I never saw the draw of the character in the first place. He's a renegade hellbent on revenge against all manner of criminal, but there isn't much to him beyond that. The most interesting take I ever saw on the character was when Marvel made a series of short-lived comics that took place in the future and gave us a "what if?" scenario to show that maybe Spider-Man and The Punisher and The Hulk don't have to die when their alter egos do.

So, expecting the worst for the film, I logged on to the DVDTalk movie forum and noticed that someone, in this case EvilConradBain, had made a thread saying that The Punisher, in his words, "sucked!" Well, no surprise there. The title alone should have warned me that the following review would not be a shining moment in world literature or even film criticism, but heedless of that, I jumped in with both feet.

What I found left me feeling more than a little disappointed. Conrad glossed over such aspects as the direction, the cinematography, the story, the editing, and really only focused on the acting. And, certainly, a discussion of the acting in a film would be a necessary component of a good review, but to neglect those other factors is a capital offense.

To be fair, he did mention the production design, likening it to a made for TV film, specifically for the USA network (which, by the way, had two of the better shows on TV in the late 90's, Weird Science and Duckman). However, he gives us no evidence to back up his claim, presuming we would simply take him on his word. In fact, this kind of thinking permeates the entire review. Conrad gives no heed to specifics of any kind, leaving us, the intended audience, to fill in the blanks. This proves to be a fruitless task, as we have not seen the film, and he has. It would not be out of line to expect a little in the way of description.

The furthest Conrad goes is to mention that Travolta's acting as a villain is comparable to his acting in other films where he plays villains. However, he immediately suggests that this is a negative, leaving people who liked Travolta in a film like Face/Off out in the cold.

Overall, I give Bain's review 10 smacks with a mallet. This grading scale supposes that getting smacked with a mallet would not be a desirable experience, and thus, the less smacks rewarded, the better the review. 10 is the maximum number of smacks.

stop...stop
Old 04-16-04, 03:00 AM
Banned by request

How long until I ask the mods to change my status from "DVD Talk Platinum Edition" to "DVD Talk Review Critic"?
Old 04-16-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well done.
Old 04-16-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Caught a screening of it tonight..

Over all, I enjoyed it.

Thomas Jane IS the punisher. Just like Ron Perlman IS hellboy and just like Christopher Reeve IS superman (wow, that's a bold statement). I hated the original punisher because it didn't look like a normal guy (with some past training) turn hero, it looked like Rocky's Russian enemy screwing up a film. Thomas Jane has the look, feel and sound that the punisher had. I was glad at that.

Now the cheese factor. This film is full of it. But you know, I loved Evil Dead and many other films for it's cheese this cheese is NOT bad cheese. It's entertaining cheese. There is a lot of moments that just scream out cheesiness, but it's all good.

The gun play and the acting. Like above, there is cheese but it is in good doses. The gun play is good and I enjoyed it over all. This is a typical popcorn flick. Enjoy it for what it is. John Travolta as a villian is good. I would much rather have him play the bad guy then play some stupid alien. He carries a lot of that power over and well, even though he isn't the big boss man in the sense of a video game, once his army is destroyed it shows how weak he really is. I really enjoyed the film. A highlight is the fact that they lifted the "you brought a knife to a gun fight" line. Now that is a good Comic to film transition.

One lacking thing though is the build up to how the punisher became the punisher. I thought they could have told the same thing in half the time and could have used that time instead to show the punisher going after regular thugs that weren't part of his revenage Punishment. Oh well, something to look forward to in the sequel I suppose.

Judgement.. See Kill Bill Vol 2 this weekend first, THEN if you have time catch the punisher. It's worth a view.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-16-04 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think we have a new reviewer.
Old 04-16-04, 04:52 AM
Banned

the movie shall owneth!
Old 04-16-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
the movie shall owneth!
Your fired.
Old 04-16-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Judgement.. See Kill Bill Vol 2 this weekend first, THEN if you have time catch the punisher. It's worth a view.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 04-16-04, 07:51 AM

Look at his registrered date...that's why I said he was trolling.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 04-16-04 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Seeing Punisher this afternoon and Kill Bill vol#2 tonight. I want to see Kill Bill with an opening night crowd, Punisher I could care less about, it just happens to be convenient.

If Punisher has a consensus about sucking, I think this should be its official review thread.
Old 04-16-04, 08:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I guarantee by Saturday people on the board who saw it will agree.
I saw it, and I disagree with you.

I found it to be a fun, hilarious, and comic booky brutal.
Old 04-16-04, 09:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Not sure if this is going to be the official 'The Punisher' thread, but if so, here's Ebert's 2-star review: http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...nisher16f.html
Old 04-16-04, 09:25 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Look at his registrered date...that's why I said he was trolling.
He's got 125 post in the last week... yeah he's a troll. Not.

As for my take on the movie... it's gotta be great it has BIG SEXY in it!!!!!!!!

From Counting Down:
Kevin Nash was on the Jimmy Kimmel Show on ABC. He was the 2nd guest after Bow Wow. Kevin Nash was there to promote the movie "The Punisher". He said he was stabbed while filming because the prop guy forgot to replace the real blade. His lines also got cut off because he couldn't do a German accent.

Ok Nash is playing the "Russian" whose real name is "Ivan Vassilovitch Dragovsky" whose from Russia. Why would he have do a German accent?

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-16-04 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw The Punisher and its sucked!
..and you're surprised WHY?

(had to get my comic book hate in while it's still hot)

Kevin Nash = Super Shredder
Old 04-16-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I wonder if Nash actually sells some moves in the film? He sure had trouble doing such when he was wrestling!

Mike Clark from USA Today and Peter Travers from Rolling Stone both gave it a three star review. The two of them and Ebert are the ones I tend to agree with the most, so two out of three of the critics I trust seem to like it. Maybe I will as well, though my expectations are kind of low.
Old 04-16-04, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
somehow, this is all sounding like a netflix rental - oh well..

guess I'll go catch "Master of the Flying Guillotine" at Visions instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.