Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hulk was awful. Atleast The Punisher had a Clear and Understandable Bad guy and ending. If you can really say that the hulks final battle makes any sense by itself then you would be lieing to me sir.

all of them are eating in the resautrant, and that guy with the guitar case just comes in and starts singing. then he says "uhhh ill sing this in your funeral" then just leaves..he dosent even use his gun right there...which was just retarded...the audience in my theater was like WTF? after watching that scene...then again lot of things in this movie didnt make any damn sense
It's called a Build up and/or cheap thrill. You think shit is going to go down but it doesn't. Perhaps the audiance was just stupid but it's like a false scare in a horror film. do folks say "WTF! You mean there was just a cat making all that noise when I thought it was the killer?" It appeared that Harry Heck respected the man in a sense. He came back from death and made his mark. If it wasn't for him being a hired hand he could be friends with him (you know what I mean). there is a certain level of respect between the two right there. That is what the song was for.

Saying all that. It's tough to do the Punishers story simply because it has been told in many different versions on screen already. Hell before the punisher the tale of revenage was still popular. the death of the family needed to be more then just wife and son.

Over all, it's cheese, but it's damn good cheese.
Old 04-17-04, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

It's called a Build up and/or cheap thrill. You think shit is going to go down but it doesn't. Perhaps the audiance was just stupid but it's like a false scare in a horror film. do folks say "WTF!

Over all, it's cheese, but it's damn good cheese.
I actually saw a great version of The Punisher a couple of years ago but it was called Road To Perdition you see this guy's family is murdered and they hire someone to find him and there is a diner scene that is very tense. Its a great movie. I recommend it over this piece of crap. If you think Punisher was anywhere as good as Road To Perdition then I have one question for you...

What did the five fingers say to the face?
Old 04-17-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Who ever said that The Punisher is any where NEAR the quality of Road To Perdition? Perhaps your hate should be kept under lock and key.

First off Road To Perdition had the pleasure of having Three Great actors. Hanks, Law and Newman with the director of American Beauty.

That's like recommending The Godfather over Animal House. they are two different boats. Entirely different. This is cheese. I already stated it. I'm not going to look for a T bone steak in happy meal. I got exactly what I expected. A CHEESE burger with fries and a drink.

Perhaps you should just take that stick out of there.. You're sitting sorta funny.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-17-04 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EvilConradBain
What did the five fingers say to the face?
Entertain us. What did they say?
Old 04-17-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by laz1e
I havent seen a movie this bad since 28 days later and ecks vs sever(which is IMO, some of the worst movies i've ever seen
28 Days Later....horrible??!!??!! What madness is this? I thought it was excellent (Grade: B+).
Old 04-18-04, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
No cheesy scenes? The Hulk himself looked cheesy as hell.
lol...it looked pretty damn good for a CG character...how the hell were u expecting him to look anyways? would u rather have some guy play as the hulk? like the old tv series? c'mon man.

Originally posted by jonpeters
28 Days Later....horrible??!!??!! What madness is this? I thought it was excellent (Grade: B+).
Dawn of the dead >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 28 days later

the reason why i thought 28 days later was so shitty is because i thought it was some kind of a zombie action/horror movie when i saw the preview...then i go in there and im like wtf is this? i mean the zombies come out for like 10 mins out of the whole movie...what is that? and theres hardly any action...they just talk talk talk...almost put me to sleep. i thought that thing with the military guys in the middle was just lame...

Last edited by laz1e; 04-18-04 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-18-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
Entertain us. What did they say?
SLAP!!! HA-HA I'm RICK JAMES BITCH!
Old 04-18-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You know one thing about the nieghbors that some folks really think they were pointless in the story.. They werent. They were Frank Castles transition from being alive and dead. His last chance to turn back and be a human in the sense. Start over with a relationship and some unity and family in a way before slipping into the darkness of being The Punisher. a choice he recognizes and walks away from.

Then again, that's using some brain power and I already said earlier that you should just enjoy the popcorn flick.. which I plan to enjoy again before the weekend is over.
Old 04-18-04, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You know one thing about the nieghbors that some folks really think they were pointless in the story.. They werent. They were Frank Castles transition from being alive and dead. His last chance to turn back and be a human in the sense. Start over with a relationship and some unity and family in a way before slipping into the darkness of being The Punisher. a choice he recognizes and walks away from.

Then again, that's using some brain power and I already said earlier that you should just enjoy the popcorn flick.. which I plan to enjoy again before the weekend is over.
You know you're spending a lot of time trying to convince us that this movie is good are you Jonathan Hensleigh? I still think its a piece of garbage and can't wait for next weeks releases to bounce this turkey out of the top 5. So see it as much as you can before its gone.
Old 04-18-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
After seeing the Alamo and Hellboy, The Punisher was finally a breath of fresh air.

Yes, the death of the family/go out for revenge plot has been overdone in films like Hard to Kill, A Man Apart, Deperado, Road to Perdition, Kill Bill, etc. Overall, I thought the
Spoiler:
wiping out of Frank Castle's entire family tree
was definitely a nice touch that stands out among those other films.

In the end....this film is intended to entertain the audience and not win any oscars.
Old 04-18-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
By the way.....someone needs to change this Thread's title, since the film clearly didn't suck for everyone.
Old 04-18-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
I saw it last night. It was decent. I thought it was better than Hellboy, but that was only probably because I'm more familiar with The Punisher than I was with Hellboy.

I liked Thomas Jane as the title character. He's just enough of a badass without being a freaking muscle bound jerkoff. I hated Travolta as the villain, though. I can't stand him. His only role I ever liked him in was Face/Off. I hate his acting, I hate the way he talks and I hate his hair. Not a great choice to have him star.

Other than that, I can say I was entertained for the 2 hours.
Old 04-18-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the neighbors were pointless. Frank's transition to the Punisher didn't have anything to do with the neighbors, they were just in for some cheap comedic value, which I didn't even get.

They could have been left out with the story being darker. He shouldn't have been in an apartment, he should have been in a safehouse/warehouse somewhere, like in the comics.
Old 04-18-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by EvilConradBain
You know you're spending a lot of time trying to convince us that this movie is good are you Jonathan Hensleigh? I still think its a piece of garbage and can't wait for next weeks releases to bounce this turkey out of the top 5. So see it as much as you can before its gone.

And your spending a lot of time trying to convience folks that it was a void of anything entertaining even though you don't go into it other then "it sucks yo" and other little to no reasoning other then mention other films that are, by common sense, far superior to this film.

You want to have an arguement, Fine, express counter points inm an educated manner. You want to nit pick in a very cheap manner, don't respond to my post.

Is it a great film? No, not really. It's more importantly an Entertaining film. 2 hours of leaving your brain at the door and letting the explosions and gun shots go off. Simple as that. If you know what you are getting yourself into then you can enjoy it for what it is and not what it could have been or whatever.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-18-04 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

On a random side note, that fat guy in the movie was very familiar to me. I thought it was John Pinette, but couldn't tell. Sure enough it is him. Looks like that stomach thing he did paid off well for him.
Old 04-18-04, 03:11 PM

Saw punisher again...

The movie falls between Daredevil and Hulk. I'm one of those viewers who actually enjoyed Daredevil very much, matter of fact I liked it better than X2. Anyway, watching Punisher again I noticed how badly the coloring was. They should have digitized the films coloring. Changed the hue a little…give it a more griddy look. Something similar to Daredevil.

I have to admit this was an awesome movie. Jack, I'm agreeing with you.
Old 04-18-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally saw it and like my previous post said, I'm a Punisher fan from way back in ASM#129. With that said, I loved Jane as Frank Castle. Great attitude, great sense of abandonment, and great rough voice.
But...the overall film had hints of something great (in superhero films anyway) but fell through. I thought that fat guy was funny for a minute, but by the time he was signing to the opera music, it was time to kill him.
Yes, lots a cheese-some okay, some bad. I liked the fight with the Russian, but could he have looked more cliched? Blonde hair, grunts, stripped shirt...please.
John Travolta was again okay. Nothing new or great-that's probably why the ads don't really mention him.
It was just an okay, time-waster, which is unfortunate, because it could have been a bit more cooler. But I will take this over Batman and Robin or Superman 3 & 4.
My Grade: C

My Marvel movie grades:
X-men & X2: A-, Spiderman: A-, Daredevil: B+, Blade & II: B, Hulk: C+, and now Punisher: C.
Old 04-18-04, 06:41 PM
Banned

I saw Punisher today and enjoyed the s**t outta it! Loved it! Good ol fashioned hardass 70's action flick!
Old 04-18-04, 06:44 PM
Banned

Oh and heres my Marvel Comics movie ratings:

Hulk: A
DareDevil: A-
Blade 2: A-
Blade: B+
Punisher: B+
X2: B+
X1: B
Spiderman: D
Old 04-18-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Care to explain your "D" for Spider-Man (not 'Spiderman')? Or are you talking about the 1970s TV show version because that's the only way I see it rates a "D".
Old 04-18-04, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

Spider-man: D

Mr. Jedi haaaatessss Spider-man....because...SURVEY SAYS.....It's better than Star Wars *ding* *ding*
Old 04-18-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not...my Marvel ratings...

Spider-man - A
X-Men - A-
X2 - A-
Blade - B
Blade 2 - C
Punisher - C-
Hulk - D
Daredevil - D-
Old 04-18-04, 07:40 PM
Banned

Here's my ratings. Spiderman was not a D movie.

Hulk: B -
DareDevil: C
Blade 2: B
Blade: A
Punisher: D
X2: A
X1: A
Spiderman: B
Old 04-18-04, 07:42 PM

Hell let me add to this Marvel Ratings too

Spider-man A-
DareDevil B+
Blade B
Punisher B
X2 B-
X-Men B-
Hulk C
Blade 2 D-
Old 04-18-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

Spiderman: D
Wha wha what?????

No way that Hulk or Daredevil were better than X-Men, X-2 or Blade.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.