Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I saw The Punisher and its sucked! [Possible Spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May contain spoilers:
Spoiler:

This is a pretty hard movie to make... the whole Punisher origin ("My family was killed, and I was almost killed, but now I'm out for revenge!") has been overdone so many times that it's hard to pull off. I guess that's why they stepped it up a notch from his wife and kids to his entire extended family.

That said, I thought the first 30 minutes or so were very well done... after the Castle family bloodbath, I was ready to watch the revenge unfold. Unfortunately, the movie took some very un-Punisher like turns. The whole elaborate frame-up with the affair seemed wholly out of character for the Punisher, and (to be quite honest) the Punisher seemed somewhat wimpy compared to what I expected. He could kick my ass, for sure, but he seemed a pretty far cry from Ennis' recent version.

And I'm sorry, but that stupid Crow ripoff ("I'll blow up all the cars to leave a skull shape") was just retarded.
Old 04-17-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts
CM: I agree.

Now back to my question: what did Harry Heck do in the comics?
Old 04-17-04, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to threadcrap but I just saw it tonight.

God was it bad.
Old 04-17-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw it tonight and I have to say…it was pretty good. It did have its dull parts, but over all it hit the nail on the head. It was refreshing seeing NO, well almost no, CGI. However, those dummy body doubles were just plain dumb

There is no doubt that Thomas Jane is THE PUNISHER! He played it very well, c’mon mantle! You can clearly tell the he trained hard for this role and he successed. Punisher 2 will be awesome with him on board.

Did any of you like the theme song for the punisher? I thought it sounded pretty decent, kinda like a western hero mix.

Overall, it’s an excellent comic book movie! Another hit from MARVEL!
Old 04-17-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow...that sure blew! Ok... at least there were a few moments that were SO BAD that they were good... in the wrong ways of course... and Rebecca Romajin was totally useless...loved the "emotional" scene where she doesn't want Frank to "go out and get killed tonight".... laughable stuff....

entertaining in a bad way...but entertaining none the less.

MATT

2 out of 5
Old 04-17-04, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RocShemp

Also, I'm pretty sure none of the scenes in Puerto Rico were actually filmed here. The reason is because, even though the cars had Puerto Rico plates, they had them in the front and back. Anyone who's ever been here knows that cars here only have plates in the back. Not really important but those scenes bugged me a bit.
Actually, I did notice but didn't mention because I thought the movie was bad enough. I actually think I've been to that part of Florida that was supposed to be Puetro Rico and its around the Florida Keys area. It looked really familiar to me.
Old 04-17-04, 03:16 AM

I havent seen a movie this bad since 28 days later and ecks vs sever(which is IMO, some of the worst movies i've ever seen...)

I dont know how to use the spoiler tags since im a noob...so for now i'll just write my thoughts on this movie below...

SPOLIERS

This movie reminded me alot of ecks vs sever...bad acting, bad script, bad action...i couldnt find anything that was good bout this movie...

- When his family dies, he dosent even seem like he cares...he comes back to that house...then all of a sudden he's in an apartment, full of guns(i dont even know how the hell he got all those) its like, oh somehow i got all these guns here, now i will get my revenge!...all these things just happen without any explanations...nothing made any sense...just like ecks vs sever...

- even when a movie has bad dialog, and acting...as long as it at least has good action scenes, i wouldnt mind watching it...but even the action scenes were bad...it was just boring and dull...even the first punisher movie(which was made like over 10 years ago?) had better action scenes then this...this one shouldve went straight to the video or something...

- since this is the punisher, i was expecting more of a gritty, dark movie...but instead this was more like a comedy, with all those lame, "cheesy" scenes with bad dialog...i just couldn't take this movie seriously...i mean just about most of the audience in the theater were just laughing during the movie...even on those "emotional" scenes..which was a joke...some of these actors need to take some acting lessons...

Last edited by laz1e; 04-17-04 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
-Guns where in some cargo holding crap for some unknown reason (perhaps the guns that were suppose to go down for the deal??), retired so I'm sure he had a nice pension to cover him and a nice chunk of change aswell as whatever he stole from saint to cover apartment...

Oh screw it, I'm going to stop trying to make any sense out of it.

I think the whole idea of it not being "punisher-like" to let saint kill
Spoiler:
his own wife and best friend
is a little uncalled for. I mean it's the punisher. he's a sadistic son of a bitch when it comes right down to it.

This movie screamed of Cheese and I enjoyed it. Hell, that stamos scene when castle is going to his death so to speak was comedy. It lead to no where with the relationship (as it's suppose to) so it was really not needed but it was just so funny. I'm buying this dvd.
Old 04-17-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Besides, let this one quote be the judge of how GREAT this film is..
Saint: "You killed my son!"
Background: "AAAAAAAAARGH *BOOOOOOOOM*"
Castle: "Both of them."

If that doesn't make you give this film a B+ or higher rating.. I don't know what you are looking for in a film. comedy gold there.
Old 04-17-04, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by laz1e
I havent seen a movie this bad since 28 days later and ecks vs sever(which is IMO, some of the worst movies i've ever seen...)
I've never seen Ecks vs. Sever and have no desire to but 28 Days Later I thought was really good.
Old 04-17-04, 09:01 AM
Banned

You know what line was MY favorite?

"get me the phone bill."

The guy is a multi-billionaire. Which ****ing phone bill is he asking for??? And how is the whiney guy supposed to know?
Old 04-17-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"She took the train."
Old 04-17-04, 10:34 AM

Well, I don't get it. I liked the movie, alot. Some of the replies make me wonder if people even saw the same film. The acting wasn't that bad(Thomas Jane's was really good IMO). The action was good and very comic-like(the fight with the Russian could have been lifted straight out of a comic). I'm amazed at how much people are picking this apart, at the end of the day it's still a comic book movie, some things just except. Didn't see a bunch of people asking how Magneto can stop lead bullets. Proffessor X can freeze 100 minds at once, Storm can spawn a half dozen tornado's, and the Punisher has acess to lots and lots of military grade hardware. It's a comic book, that's just how things are.

Most imporantly for me, unlike while watching Hellboy I never looked at my watch wondering "How long is this film".
Old 04-17-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 875 Likes on 394 Posts
I saw it last night. I would rate it better than Daredevil and Hulk.

I thought the action sequences were very good. But the stuff inbetween them was not very good.

The one thing I thought was an un-Punisher like move:
In the comics I think he would not have allowed Heck to leave the diner. He would have just dropped him there. I half expected him to pop him in the back when he left.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but Regal Cinemas gave out a free comic book. It was a reprint of Spider-man 129, the Punisher's first appearance.
I actually got to see it 1 and a half times for free. I bought a ticket on Wed, for the 2:55 show. Mgr. comes in and says we didn't get our film in yet. It won't be here until 4:30. He says, i'll give you your money back, and give you a ticket for the 5:00 show (in another theater), and you can go watch the end of the one playing now.
It's kind of funny though. The audience does help the movie. The 5:00 audience was more into it, and I think it made the movie better.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 04-17-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 11:16 AM
MSD

I saw it and it was pretty bad, somewhat entertaining but still so very bad.
Old 04-17-04, 01:58 PM

Thoughts from a long-time Frank fan...

What has always made The Punisher comics great to read was that Frank narrated his own stories. You were inside his head as he narrated his wry thoughts in first person captions.

Without that, you're just watching a guy kill people. It wasn't until near the end, when we finally get some voice over ("I leave this as a declaration of intent") that I truly felt like I was watching a Punisher story.

There should have been much more of that. Agree?

Another thing - wasn't the Punisher's original origin tragic enough as it was? It wasn't enough that he lost his wife and children, but his parents, siblings, cousins, in-laws, nieces, nephews, and pet goldfish had to die too? That scene was too much. It was like watching footage of Columbine.

Also, what made reading Punisher Year One so interesting was seeing the legal system fail Frank. He tries to do the right thing but due to corruption the system fails him, so off he goes. We only got one quick reference to this.

I'm just pissed off I guess. I've loved Frank since I was 13 and I really wanted a good Punisher movie. Oh well. I'll always have my trades, and the Punisher video game looks promising!

On the plus side, I rather liked the "Punisher theme music"
Old 04-17-04, 02:12 PM

saw it yesterday...it was fantastic, I expected it be good and it blew me away.
Old 04-17-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally posted by CastleGrayskull
Thoughts from a long-time Frank fan...

What has always made The Punisher comics great to read was that Frank narrated his own stories. You were inside his head as he narrated his wry thoughts in first person captions.

Without that, you're just watching a guy kill people. It wasn't until near the end, when we finally get some voice over ("I leave this as a declaration of intent") that I truly felt like I was watching a Punisher story.

There should have been much more of that. Agree?

Another thing - wasn't the Punisher's original origin tragic enough as it was? It wasn't enough that he lost his wife and children, but his parents, siblings, cousins, in-laws, nieces, nephews, and pet goldfish had to die too? That scene was too much. It was like watching footage of Columbine.

Also, what made reading Punisher Year One so interesting was seeing the legal system fail Frank. He tries to do the right thing but due to corruption the system fails him, so off he goes. We only got one quick reference to this.

I'm just pissed off I guess. I've loved Frank since I was 13 and I really wanted a good Punisher movie. Oh well. I'll always have my trades, and the Punisher video game looks promising!

On the plus side, I rather liked the "Punisher theme music"
Yeah, the narrated portion was the best. Maybe that's how the sequel(s) will be? As for the scene with the cops, that's the only part of the movie that really took me out of it (aside from the PR scenes, of course). It just felt really tacked on with him there with his skull shirt hidden under his jacket. I thought he was gonna go kick ass right then and there with his old cop buddies right on his tail. In fact, where were the police throughout the film? I really wanted to see more of them because it was obvious from the beginning that they all loved Frank very much. This film is screaming for an extended DVD (if any footage exists to warrant one) where we actually see his buddies conflicted about having to mount some sort of task force to chase after him. I also wanted more of Joan, Spacer Dave, and Bumpo. The dinner scene was nice but felt a little rushed. That said, I love the look on Thomas Jane's face when he asked Rebecca Rojmin if she knew his family. You could see a sudden glimmer of hope in his eyes only to be dissapointed that she was just being empathetic. He really nailed this character. The movie could have also used more moments of Travolta mourning his son. I really liked how mostly non-over the top he was in this film. Heck, he managed the "she took the train" line in such a deadpan manner that it didn't feel like a wink to the audience. I really liked that.

And Jack,
Saint: "You killed my son!"
Background: "AAAAAAAAARGH *BOOOOOOOOM*"
Castle: "Both of them."
is indeed one of the most memorable scenes of the film. This is a definite must buy for me.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-17-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with the cop scene being a little bit of just tossed in there to some what get that year one homage in there and it lead to no where. I would have much perfered he came back more ghost like. the grave on saints course would have sufficed. Him going out to the media seemed like it was tossed in there for the sake of tossing things in.
Old 04-17-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I think the whole idea of it not being "punisher-like" to let saint kill
Spoiler:
his own wife and best friend
is a little uncalled for. I mean it's the punisher. he's a sadistic son of a bitch when it comes right down to it.
I don't think it's uncalled for at all. He may be called the Punisher, and he may be sadistic, but he's also always been portrayed as extremely efficient and ruthless. He wouldn't waste God knows how many hours setting up a blackmail plot. Esecially one that could have fallen apart in any number of ways. What if Saint's henchman had said "Wait, boss... call my boyfriend as proof I'm gay"? What if a traffic cop hadn't come by to write a parking ticket? What if Saint had handed Punisher's mole a $100 bill to pay the parking ticket without looking at the location of the ticket?

They had the Punisher carrying around a fake fire-hydrant, for God's sake. Not once, but twice. It seemed like we stepped out of a Punisher movie and into the Italian Job for a while there. If they wanted a movie about an elaborate and twisting revenge plot, they should make that movie... just not with the Punisher. He would have put a bullet (or multiple bullets, or a knife, or a harpoon) in the henchman and the wife, and he would have still had time to go after 30 other scumbags.

Like I said, it's hard to tell a good Punisher origin story... when Castle just started out as the Punisher, he wasn't yet the scourge of the crime world. I think a better story could be told a year or two into the Punisher's career... criminals would view him as the grim reaper and be terrified of him, and he'd have racked up a high enough body count that the police would have to be chasing him. Without those elements, this might as well have been Steven Seagal's "Hard to Kill."
Old 04-17-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just me, or were the neighbors COMPLETELY UNNEEDED?

And why the hell are bad guys so stupid?

Spoiler:
In the last scene, the blonde bad guy (knife in the mouth guy) sees another goon shoot Punisher in the chest, only to find out he's got a bulletproof vest on...so he proceeds to shoot him...in the chest. Why don't bad guys aim for the damn head? And when they send the Russian in, why don't they send others in with him? Why just him?

Stupid ass bad guys.
Old 04-17-04, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Just me, or were the neighbors COMPLETELY UNNEEDED?

And why the hell are bad guys so stupid?

Spoiler:
In the last scene, the blonde bad guy (knife in the mouth guy) sees another goon shoot Punisher in the chest, only to find out he's got a bulletproof vest on...so he proceeds to shoot him...in the chest. Why don't bad guys aim for the damn head? And when they send the Russian in, why don't they send others in with him? Why just him?

Stupid ass bad guys.
LOL i remember that part...and yes those damn neighors were just annoying...i dunno why the hell they even put those characters in the movie...

and wtf was up with that scene where-

Spoiler:
all of them are eating in the resautrant, and that guy with the guitar case just comes in and starts singing. then he says "uhhh ill sing this in your funeral" then just leaves..he dosent even use his gun right there...which was just retarded...the audience in my theater was like WTF? after watching that scene...then again lot of things in this movie didnt make any damn sense
Old 04-17-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW, i enjoyed the film. It made up for Marvel's green turd from last spring. I will get punisher on DVD when it comes out.
Old 04-17-04, 08:03 PM

green turd? lol

IMO HULK >>>>>>>>> Punisher

it had -

better action scenes
better acting
better dialog
didnt have those cheesy, lame ass scenes like in the punisher which basically ruined the whole movie...
Old 04-17-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No cheesy scenes? The Hulk himself looked cheesy as hell.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.