Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anyone catch this in Kill Bill Vol. 1??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Did anyone catch this in Kill Bill Vol. 1??

Old 04-14-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a number of sites that dig into Pulp pretty well. I read one by Ebert that discusses the theme of weapons not working in the manner of which they were intended (i.e. Travolta's gun, the kid's gun in the apartment, etc.)
Old 04-14-04, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well in Vivica's defense.. she was shooting blindly in a sense having the gun in the cereal.
Old 04-14-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did QT make any "mistakes" in this movie that weren't intentional?
Old 04-14-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by asianxcore
I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but is the box of cereal Vernita is pouring called "Kaboom"?
Yes! this was a real cereal I used to enjoy in college.
Old 04-14-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
One of my favorite scenes to slo-mo is the
Spoiler:
beheading of Tanaka. The head looks like it flies right off the table in the first shot, but then it magically lands right in front of the boss with the yakuza boss with the fan and purple suit, who was sitting right next to him.
Old 04-14-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Coral
My problem with the scene is that someone who's a member of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad manages to miss a target who is standing 5 feet in front of her by a few feet.
Well remember the gun was inside of a cereal box... it wasn't like she exactly had complete visibility of the barrel of the gun. Not to mention it had to be done very quick, very swift. If all of a sudden 'The Bride' saw a cereal box being aimed at her, she would expect the worst.
Old 04-14-04, 09:33 AM

Also the type of movies he's paying tribute to didn't have the best editing. That's what makes those old films so fun to watch. I just love the part where Uma is searching for Buck's truck and the music just abrubtly stops.
Old 04-14-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I was reading about QT, and he has this ritual when he begins a new script, of buying blank notebooks and red and black felt-tip pens.

Perhaps a subtle homage?
to himself?
Old 04-14-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Tarantino's movies have a lot of continuity errors. The one that always gets me is the restaurant scene with Jules & Vincent at the end of Pulp Fiction. The position of their booth within the restaurant moves all over the place from shot to shot.

Some of these he claims are intentional, but I have to be skeptical. Still, I don't really understand people who are obsessive over continuity errors. They're part and parcel of the moviemaking process, and unless they're really bad they hardly ever bug me.
Old 04-14-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the entropy/atrophy one. When I heard that I was like "What?"
There's some controversy (well, not real-controversy) over this line, because Tarantino claimed publicly that Uma made the slip, and he liked it, and left it in even though it was obviously the wrong word ... yet the script that floated around the Internet about a year before the movie came out said "entropy" instead of "atrophy" also.

Personally, I think that Tarantino is somewhat sloppy, but likes to pretend it's deliberate, so that he can add to his mystique. (That's not meant as a criticism of him, I love his work, though it maybe could be taken as a criticism of the people who get into it obsessively enough to debate whether Tarantino intentionally left the bullet holes in the wrong spots ...)
Old 04-14-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by whotony
to himself?
This is Tarantino, after all...
Old 04-14-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in pulp fiction, when jules eats the cheeseburger, there is a minor continuity error., the insert shot of him picking it up has no sign of eating, but when we see him take a bite, there is another bite to the side. was that one deliberate as well.

also, is the so called "blurring" when there is a lot of movement as bad as ign makes it out to be.
Old 04-14-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Vivica's character had also been retired for a while, too.
Old 04-14-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
all I can say is....my craving for a pack of Red Apples has only increased.
I know the feeling...
Old 04-14-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

nother question. during the opening credits, i swear that it said "the 4th film by..." but the dvd says "a film by..."
Old 04-14-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I just like being able to see the chubby asian stunt woman in Uma's place in a few scenes, it cracks me up.

She looks like a cousin of mine.

There are LOADS of errors in the movie, intentional or not, it doesn't really effect the movie much
Old 04-14-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm, I could swear that my dvd said "the 4th film..."
Old 04-14-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
nother question. during the opening credits, i swear that it said "the 4th film by..." but the dvd says "a film by..."
The DVD says The 4th Film by Quentin Tarantino too, just checked heh.
Old 04-14-04, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
There are LOADS of errors in the movie, intentional or not, it doesn't really effect the movie much
Talk about errors!

It should be "affect."
Old 04-15-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RichC2
The DVD says The 4th Film by Quentin Tarantino too, just checked heh.
must have not have been paying attention.
Old 04-15-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Ok, here is something I caught. During the scene near the end, with Sofie in the trunk: in the US theatrical version, I don't remember the Bride saying "Give me your other arm!", but I hear it in the DVD. I do remember that line in the Japanese cut, occuring just before the Bride slices off her other arm. Was that line actually spoken in the US theatrical version? Or do I just not remember it? (thats entirely possible, as I'm getting old )
Old 04-15-04, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
Ok, here is something I caught. During the scene near the end, with Sofie in the trunk: in the US theatrical version, I don't remember the Bride saying "Give me your other arm!", but I hear it in the DVD. I do remember that line in the Japanese cut, occuring just before the Bride slices off her other arm. Was that line actually spoken in the US theatrical version? Or do I just not remember it? (thats entirely possible, as I'm getting old )
I have no recollection of her saying "Give me your other arm!" in the U.S. version.

Where did you see the Japanese version?
Old 04-15-04, 07:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
It was most certainly in the U.S. theatrical edition.
Old 04-15-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the scene switches back to the closeup shot of Sofie at the hospital as The Bride yells the line.
Old 04-15-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
So did the bride cut off both of Sofie's arms? It's never made apparent how much of her body was lost as all of her subsequent shots are a close-up.

One other thing: after all of the carnage the bride caused at the hospital, Tokyo, and Vernita's, wouldn't the cops be out looking for her all over the place? She also drives a pretty recognizable vehicle I might add.
QT did explain how she was able to afford so many cool things in Premiere though; apparently she built up quite a fortune being in the assasination team and has several million to burn. All the money is in a Swiss Bank account I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.